[A13] A2B: conveyor belts & co. [v0.13.2]

Started by A2Bcorp, February 21, 2015, 01:23:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

You don't have to worry about spoilage and item degradation in the current release but, you do have to worry about repairing sections as the conveyors are non-passable.  This means if a fire or some other damage occurs, you don't be able to reach anything in the centre of your loop.  Also, your ore extractors can share loaders however, having the extra loaders does help your pawn haulers and improves conveyor efficiency.
(2*b)||!(2*b) - That is the question.
There are 10 kinds of people in this world - those that understand binary and those that don't.

Powered By

noone

Quote from: 1000101 on March 22, 2015, 04:33:44 AM
First, loaders get a toggle option for "wait for full stack" which will ... wait ... for a full stack ... before sending it down the line.

Hi 1000101,
Happy to know you find the A2B system useful - always glad to hear this. As per the "full stack" suggestion, I think this extra button would be confusing, and could also cause serious problems (i.e., what if your colonist is hauling more than allowed in the current state, etc ...). I think this is a fair request though, but I guess I would try to implement differently: i.e. the belt do by default stack items "on the move", if they encounter a jam. That way you won't fill the belt system as fast, but there's no need to worry about anything on the user end. Note that this is already in place for the Unloaders (I think?) when dropping items on the floor.

Quote from: 1000101 on March 22, 2015, 04:33:44 AM
Second, a "soft" selector-splitter hybrid which has one filtered output and two unfiltered outputs.

That, I am much less in favor ... ;) While I can see the benefit in some cases, it would also be a very confusing element - and I think that a 2x3 system is "alright" in that case ... and that's a great design, assembling basic logic blocks in something more fancy !

Quote from: passi965 on March 23, 2015, 05:57:01 AM
And i know that Conveyor belts sort of act like walls, so the conveyor belts are to small to support a roof (and let through heat) but high enough to be inpassable.

This should be fixed in the next release, hopefully. I.e. belts will not act like walls anymore, with all of the consequences that this implies - no thermal isolation, etc ...

obrien979

I have downloaded the newest verison and installed it in the MODS folder, however when I activate the MOD and start the game, I do not have a construction option for them. 

Can anyone help?

Brandon

rditto48801

Quote from: obrien979 on April 11, 2015, 09:48:26 PM
I have downloaded the newest verison and installed it in the MODS folder, however when I activate the MOD and start the game, I do not have a construction option for them. 

Can anyone help?

Brandon
They are not unlocked be default.
You have to Research them first. (which oddly enough does not seem to be mentioned in the OP)
They should have their own "A2B Belts" selection/group under Architect once researched/unlocked.
Always (less than) eager to stockpile 3 metric tons of steel to replicate a useful gun.

Dr. Watson. Proving that being wrong is one step closer to being right.

A2Bcorp

Hey everyone,

We at A2B are happy to announce the A10 release of our system. It has been thoroughly reasonably tested. Please report any bug/usability issues !

The update also include a few changes: a symmetric selector, the belts will freeze in cold weather, and more research to improve the cold resistance, decrease the wear-and-tear speed of the belts, reduce the heat flash of the teleporters, etc ... Also, belts don't act like walls anymore !

Our engineers are currently working (more like day-dreaming at this stage) on implementing two changes: 1) food ought to get bad on the belts over time (unlike now) and 2) teleporters should be replaced by underground belts.
The point 1) is a tricky one and might take a lot of time. Point 2) looks more promising for a not-so-far away implementation.

Enjoy !

dareddevil7

A2Bcorp

Dream no more, belts are already cross-able ! It's costly, and pawns will only do it if they absolutely have to. And they will take their time doing so, to avoid getting their feet stuck in the belt. But still, they are cross-able !

Note that the planned "underground" belt system should look rather pretty and take less space than the teleporter pair, so this would eventually be the best way to do it.

dareddevil7

Quote from: A2Bcorp on April 17, 2015, 11:42:03 PM
Dream no more, belts are already cross-able ! It's costly, and pawns will only do it if they absolutely have to. And they will take their time doing so, to avoid getting their feet stuck in the belt. But still, they are cross-able !

Note that the planned "underground" belt system should look rather pretty and take less space than the teleporter pair, so this would eventually be the best way to do it.
[ All My ($) All My ]

ERP!  Can we have the old selector back?  The one with two inputs and two outputs?  It was essential to some of my designs and frankly, the new one is just ... erm ... yeah.  :(
There are 10 kinds of people in this world - those that understand binary and those that don't.

Powered By

A2Bcorp

Interesting. Could you explain why the old design was better for your belt system ?

You ought to be able to replicate it by adding a merger just before the Selector, and only connect one of the Selector exit (if only one is available, all items will go there). Same effect as the old Selector, but in a 2x1 structure.

Well, the two-in-two-out allowed for many combinations of logic and when used with other basic blocks, complex systems could be built.

Namely, the option of which orientation input comes from holds a huge importance in the logic structure.  Basically, the original selector was an Or-NE (not-equal) gate now, it's just a NE Gate.

Take this example:  There is absolutely no equivalent way to build this with the new selector.

Also, the two inputs allows for controlling where the outputs are actually going and how it's pathed due to inputs being 90-degree adjacent to both the Or and NE outputs.  Now the input is 90-degree adjacent to the NE outputs and opposite the equivalency output.

This selector would fall into the "edge case" of usefulness for me.  I've actually invest huge amounts of time in my colony design to make sure my conveyor system is efficient. I don't see how this selector adds to the efficiency and, actually, quite the opposite - it's a disaster since now there is NO way to prevent the log-jamming where my 2x3 near-miss method while isn't the most ideal solution in my mind, it's (a) impossible with the new selector and (b) used the core components we are all familiar with.

Really, I can see no logical reason to remove the original selector and replace it with this one.  Perhaps adding a new selector of this type, but not replacing.  Personally I see the original selector as far superior to the new one.  After seeing the A10 update I am tempted to download the source and strip out the selector and replace it with the original one or maybe leave it for edge case, but I can't think of a time when I would ever use this new selector without being forced to.  To wit, the original, better, one is gone.

Further, real-life conveyor belt system use side-offloading mid-line and only end-offload at the shipping docks.  Generally the systems are built in a large horse-shoe layout bring finished products to the same (or near) place which the raw materials are loaded onto the belt.  The original selector was perfect for this and is 100% natural in this regard.  Viewing it in this context, the new selector doesn't make sense at all.  No matter which direction my belt flowed, I could always offload left or right and straight forward.  But the important part is that the reject path is the forward one and the acceptance is one-sided.  This means it needs to inputs.

I did notice that this selector is similar in concept as my hybrid proposal as far as inputs and output go (by numbers).  Not in layout or functionality though.

Maybe it's just me, but I see no logic in this change and for me, it is a severe blow to the usefulness of the mod.