[A13] A2B: conveyor belts & co. [v0.13.2]

Started by A2Bcorp, February 21, 2015, 01:23:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

noone

That's the design I have in mind - aren't they equivalent ?

I also build the individual "translations" of the new and old Selectors using the old and new systems. As you can see, the "old" selector is easy to implement with a 2x1 block in the new system, whereas replicating the "new" system with the old Selector is much more complicated (but certainly do-able - note the two selectors will have their selected items mirrored). This is definitely an argument in favor of the new system. Of course, the real question is : how often do one uses BOTH exists "2" in the new selector ? I think the answer is "not very often", which then suggest the "old" Selector is a more appropriate design. Actually, I might start a poll to see how often people use both "2" exists in the new selector.

Quote from: 1000101 on April 19, 2015, 10:08:22 PM
I hope I didn't come off as demanding or otherwise disrespectful to your work and vision of what your mod should be.

Don't worry - that's the kind of discussions I like ;) My driver really is to keep the number of belt elements to a minimum. I would hate to have redundancy, because it only complicate the maintenance of the mod (for which I have very little time), makes updates difficult, confuses players, and clutters the screen (which I hate).

So, I am really keen to get the few elements designed just right to fit most design needs - and the kind of discussions we are having is what I need to open my mind to designs I had not previously envisaged. I still haven't quite gotten my head around your 'soft selector' idea, but I will give it more thoughts.

Note that anyone willing to contribute to the mod directly is more than welcome to do so - that's why it is on Github, and that's why we have a separate account for it on the forum. That way, hopefully, the mod will outlast myself on here, and won't just die out ;) If you want to design the soft-selector, I'd be happy to add it to the mod and see how it works out ...

Right now, my focus is on the underground system.

Edit:
Thanks FamousShoes for the feedback. You do make a very good point - now I remember why I thought it made so much sense to have a symmetric splitter in the first place :D
I won't revert things just now "because I don't have the time" (and will ponder the matter further). Part of the issue lies in the fact that I am yet to play with the mod in A10 and thoroughly test the system for myself.

In the meantime, I'd suggest using the combination ' selector+ merger = old selector '. But it looks like this "Selector" question will remain a tricky one for the foreseeable future ...  ;)

[attachment deleted due to age]

You see your 2x4 is not the same logically as the 2x3 I use.  The difference is that the selector gets a second chance to select the item again which requires two inputs.

How my 2x3 works given two possible states:

Selector state unblocked (filter output path is clear):
The "input splitter" has 50:50 of paths to pick, in the event of the "wrong" path, the second splitter again has a 50:50 to pick the "right" path and send to the selector.  Occasionally it misses but the entire system is built as a giant loop so it will eventually filter in.

Selector state blocked (filter output path full):
The "input splitter" will always pick the unblocked path.  The second splitter has a chance to send again to the selector if it becomes cleared as an item passes through the configuration.

Why the proposed 2x4 is not the same:
It locks an item in the merge which may or may not be wanted while the splitter holds a wanted resource.  The 2x3 only locks a wanted resource in the splitter.

The system is designed around the principle that the destination of the selector has a small ouput chain, that is, it's dropping resources off right at work tables.  As a result, it doesn't want to drop a lot, but it wants to do it frequently.  That way the system can auto-feed the work tables "just enough" at a time to keep work flow while keeping pawns busy doing ANYTHING BUT hauling resources - after all, that's what conveyors are for.

Take a look at this thread for a working example of screenshots.

Note:  They system is 100% optimal at about 70% capacity due the designs spacing forcing items to "zig-zag" through it with the exceptions being when an output node is full and the selector is blocked.  However, there are multiple output nodes for the same resource (multiple tables want the same resource).  I have tried to optimize my production chain to minimize multiple same-drop nodes but that isn't entirely possible for some resources.  Also note, that each output node accepts only one resource (only steel, etc) with the exception of the kitchen freezer.

I'm not really sure you'll be able to satisfy all needs without breaking your minimalist design.
(2*b)||!(2*b) - That is the question.
There are 10 kinds of people in this world - those that understand binary and those that don't.

Powered By

Quote from: Famous Shoes on April 19, 2015, 10:47:26 PMAnd @69, if that Rube Goldberg example isn't an edge case, I don't know what is.  ;D

To be fair, this was the "simplest" non-blocking ring system I could achieve with the given parts.  :P
There are 10 kinds of people in this world - those that understand binary and those that don't.

Powered By

noone

Quote from: 1000101 on April 20, 2015, 12:32:08 AM
You see your 2x4 is not the same logically as the 2x3 I use.  The difference is that the selector gets a second chance to select the item again which requires two inputs.

I still disagree - so let's settle this with an experiment !

I implemented my design in-game, and got 11 items out of 14 I sent down (80%). The exact sorting rate is in fact 75%, i.e. 3 out of 4 items get sorted out, and the last one goes through.

Experiment design: chunks fed one at time and not tight (i.e. the belt wasn't packed). Each exit is not jammed. And only chunks (1 item type) was sent.

You can improve the system further by adding additional "Merger - Splitter" rows just below the "Selector - straight belt" line. Each additional pair will reduce the fraction of mis-selected items by half. I.e.:

A 2x4 design gives you 75% selection rate
A 2x5 design gives you 88% selection rate
A 2x5 design gives you 93% selection rate
etc ...

Of course, you will never get to 100%, only exponentially close ...

Also to be noted: these fractions are upper-limits, when you feed ONLY the item you want to sort. Feeding other items might reduce the exact number depending on their frequency, arrangement, etc ...

When doing the same experiment under the same conditions with your design, I get the same output of 75% selection. Neither design can do anything regarding contamination by other items. Really, I fail to see any difference at all.

But by all means, feel free to prove me wrong - that's what Science is all about ! Do the experiment above under the same conditions, and I am fairly certain that you will too get 75% selection success with your design.

[attachment deleted due to age]

I'll have to do an A9 A2B vs A10 A2B but the core versioning won't factor into the experiment.

The problem I see with your design is that you can't achieve the zig-zag movement of items on the line which will force the path through the splitter at idea conveyor load which is about 70%.  This gives it at best 100% success and at worst 75%.  The other method can (as you pointed out) achieve a nearly mathematical 100% (assuming infinite splitters) and will always lock a (potentially unwanted) extra item.

I'll see about making a video to demonstrate it but this is really becoming a tangent and if I may skip tracks a little...

...Your mention of the github sources and being open to 3rd party additions.

I think this would be best solved on you deciding which will be the standard, then if you would be so kind, make the other as an additional mod to serve as a bit of a tutorial for others (such as myself) on how to make our own add parts.  I would certainly be willing to help in this capacity and I think this would be where my soft-select/overflow valve idea would fit.  I had a brief look at your source but I am yet to actually look into it.