[A15] Tilled Soil v1.2

Started by Sam_, February 28, 2015, 06:20:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Komyets

Tilled Soil seems to be unremovable in early game, I trust it can become removable with the... new research project which by the way is unspecified in the mod description.

I encourage you to write as much detal as you can in the mod description because, this mod doesnt only modifies the TerrainDefs, but it also plays with ResearchProjectDefs, which can generate incompatibilities with other mods, without the user even knowing why. Even if it is a very unlikely thing to happen, better safe than sorry.

I was hoping one could remove the Tilled Soil with the default "Remove-Floor" tool, and I was certainly not expecting a new research project. Still... no unbalances so far, no bugs or glitches. Not bad for now :)

Sam_

It would be nice if every mod developer would write a long comprehensive list of every file that is changed. Or the user may wish to take a small portion of time to perhaps view the files in the mod themselves, if a incompatibility were to occur.

This mod was created prior to the newest update which added the ability to remove the floors. In that earlier time the only way to "remove" flooring was to put something else on top of it. The dirt can used to cover the toiled soil as you have stated, but it can also be placed on other flooring including but not limited to smooth rock, which means after smoothing the floors in any cave or rocky area you are able to place the dirt over the top, thus creating farmland inside a mountain. Such a powerful option, that makes the vanilla hydroponics a waste of time, should obviously be late game and kept locked behind research.
This is not a main feature of the mod, but resulted from the intention of using dirt to cover old flooring, therefore it is not mentioned in the description, and should not need to be. I am not a fan of spoon feeding, especially since players looking for modifications should have an excellent understanding of game mechanics.

I have not updated the mechanics in this mod , such as allowing the floor removal tool to be used, mostly because this mod will be deprecated and the features will be included a future update of Glittertech.

Grimandevil

It would be awesome if the tilled soil had a deterioration process, and require some animal filth (i.e. manure) to construct it. That would also involve messing with the animal behavior, i guess. (that would also add more reason to have tamed animals)
unfortunately, not being a modder myself, i cannot imagine how much work that would be.
welcome to the Rimworld - a world full of cannibal drug-addicted psychos, but free of vegetarians.

Llamageddon

I'm somewhat interested in modding, and I think that making something with similar purpose to this mod, will be the first thing I'll do - except I want different soil types diggable up(you get back items), and then placeable. Also, tilled soil enabling plants to grow twice as fast is ridiculous. 1.1x, or 1.15x is reasonable, but not 2x. Fertilizers are another thing that'd be nice to add, but I just don't see it being much better than the natural rich soil, which has a reasonable 1.4x multiplier. I'd really like to see modmakers try to keep things vanilla-geared.

Sam_

Quote from: Llamageddon on November 30, 2015, 01:35:46 PM
I'm somewhat interested in modding, and I think that making something with similar purpose to this mod, will be the first thing I'll do - except I want different soil types diggable up(you get back items), and then placeable. Also, tilled soil enabling plants to grow twice as fast is ridiculous. 1.1x, or 1.15x is reasonable, but not 2x. Fertilizers are another thing that'd be nice to add, but I just don't see it being much better than the natural rich soil, which has a reasonable 1.4x multiplier. I'd really like to see modmakers try to keep things vanilla-geared.

This mod started as a small addition for the people who are tired of planting on normal dirt. I also found that a fertility modifier that visually sped up the growth was more satisfying and encouraged players to actually bother using tilled soil. I know the 2x speed is a bit unrealistic, so perhaps your mod could address more complexity such as crop rotation and actual fertilisation methods.

Quote from: Grimandevil on November 30, 2015, 12:16:23 PM
It would be awesome if the tilled soil had a deterioration process, and require some animal filth (i.e. manure) to construct it. That would also involve messing with the animal behavior, i guess. (that would also add more reason to have tamed animals)
unfortunately, not being a modder myself, i cannot imagine how much work that would be.

It is one of the first comments to this mod. Now that I have dived into modding DLLs I'm sure a timer or something could be coded to make the tilled soil fallow after a period of time, which would be a shorter period with active crops on the soil, to implement crop rotation. However having an addition to the game that adds a timer to every tile of soil may cause performance issues. It certainly would balance the soil having 2x or higher fertility by requiring players to micro manage crops.

Hayhorse

cucumpear

Quote from: Encode on December 03, 2015, 01:20:54 AM
not sure why but the tilled soil in the mountain seemed not to work properly, the planted crop keep disappearing randomly a few at a time...

No poison ships on the map and they're definitely not getting eaten by pets or dying due to temperature fluctuations?
This person might poke around in Def folders more than is healthy.
https://github.com/cucumpear

Sam_

Quote from: Encode on December 03, 2015, 01:20:54 AM
not sure why but the tilled soil in the mountain seemed not to work properly, the planted crop keep disappearing randomly a few at a time...

It works the same as a "green house" that you build outside. You need the sun lamp to provide light to crops, and you need a stable temperature. Each plant has a temperature range, so you should match it. For general food it's usually best to set the room to 21 degrees. You may need multiple heaters if the room is large enough. I have a feeling the lighting was the issue, but you have to account for everything the plant normally consumes.

Sam_

Quote from: Encode on December 03, 2015, 08:54:23 AM

Umm.. the thing is everything (temperature/lighting) is 'normal' yet crops start to disappear 1 at a time at a constant pace...
The only different thing I did was using DEV mode and running at max (4) speed.

2nd pic showed the result of 'disappearing act' after i put colonists' [Growing] to lowest priority.

That is strange indeed. Everything looks normal, compared to the crops I have had in my own games that work fine. I can only guess that there is a mod conflict, or perhaps a mod that changes the sun lamp. What information is displayed for the plants? Particularly the growth rate.

Jan2607

Can someone please explain, what the research Terrain Rehabilitation is for? I thought with this research you can grow plants on floor where you can't grow plants normally. But if I try to set up soil/tilled soil, it says "this floor is too unstable"

cucumpear

Quote from: Jan2607 on December 11, 2015, 05:38:41 PM
Can someone please explain, what the research Terrain Rehabilitation is for? I thought with this research you can grow plants on floor where you can't grow plants normally. But if I try to set up soil/tilled soil, it says "this floor is too unstable"
After researching it you can place soil on smooth stone floors and then turn that into tilled soil. The smoothing is necessary though.
This person might poke around in Def folders more than is healthy.
https://github.com/cucumpear

Jan2607

DJFergy

dismar

luminisone

Dismar, what lines need changing and what are the changes?