[A12d] RedistHeat - Vents/Ducts (Oct 12, v42b) Small heater fix

Started by Latta, March 01, 2015, 01:41:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Veyda

Yes, this is exactly what I meant. GJ.

As for the Celsius/Fahrenheit setting, it may take some poking around the code. On the other hand, only 4 countries in the world use F, so it's a low priority.  ;)

Veyda

Adding 2-3 degrees of hysteresis may make it even better, since the vent won't be opening and closing as often, but I guess it doesn't matter since power consumption (as currently modeled) is constant and doesn't depend on actual louver motor use.

Latta

Quote from: Veyda on March 04, 2015, 10:42:31 AM
Adding 2-3 degrees of hysteresis may make it even better, since the vent won't be opening and closing as often, but I guess it doesn't matter since power consumption (as currently modeled) is constant and doesn't depend on actual louver motor use.

Last time I tested, it didn't open/close so fast because controlled room's temperature will always be colder/hotter. And yes it always use 20W so no problem?

I also struggled to add a fire suppressor turret which targets fire only. But why the hell buildings take damage from "Extinguish" damage type? Need custom bullet class and more time.

Updated to 11: Active vents are more smarter.

Veyda

Yeah, the way it is right now is no big deal.
But if you ever decide to model high/low power modes in the future, a vent w/o a fan would probably consume almost nothing in standby (say, 5W) and then have short bursts of high consumption (say, 100W) when the louvers are opening or closing (during vent state changes). A vent with a built-in fan would, in addition to that, have constant medium power consumption when open (the fan is running) but also a much faster equalisation rate.

P.S. On a second thought, there are many buildings in game that should use the low/high power consumption logic but don't (almost everything - autodoors, stoves, workbenches, comms consoles, etc etc). It would lead to uneven (and more realistic) consumption and possible brownouts if too many doors try to open at once while your A/C is on and both cooks are cooking, for example. Wonder why Tynan simplified it the way he did...

P.P.S. Had to destroy all objects made in v.10 of the mod before updating to v.11 because it was throwing errors otherwise. Also, there is now a 1-second freeze when clicking your first Active Vent for the first time.

Latta

Woops, sorry for the inconvenience. I forgot to mention that I changed each defNames. Did you save again using v11?

EDIT: I've done minor cleanups. As I don't see any freeze on my game, I can't be sure that I solved that or not.

Ichigokurosaki512

Hey umm i dont know if this is too much to ask but could you add an industrial Cooler as well?

HBKRKO619

Latta

Quote from: Ichigokurosaki512 on March 05, 2015, 01:15:28 AM
Hey umm i dont know if this is too much to ask but could you add an industrial Cooler as well?
I'm thinking a reasonable way to make a cooler. There should be a way to exhaust heat.

Quote from: HBKRKO619 on March 05, 2015, 06:18:01 AM
Mediafire is dying or the link is dead xD
I can't see any problem with the link. Please check it again.

Veyda

An industrial cooler can be a 2x2+1 building with the stub being the outlet duct, like this:

XXX->
XX

Or it might already be worthwhile to think about ductwork at this point..

HBKRKO619

Quote from: Latta on March 05, 2015, 06:59:04 AM
Quote from: HBKRKO619 on March 05, 2015, 06:18:01 AM
Mediafire is dying or the link is dead xD
I can't see any problem with the link. Please check it again.

It work now, It seem it was just Mediafire derping a little xD

Latta

Here comes Industrial Coolers(WIP)! I'm adjusting their values.

Undecided

Quote from: Latta on March 07, 2015, 02:07:19 AM

Here comes Industrial Coolers(WIP)! I'm adjusting their values.

I'd like to make a suggestion: XL vents. I know it sounds very niche and not that useful, but hear me out. Currently there's a bug with geothermal vents that can sometimes make any room containing them count as unroofed, even if it's under an entire mountain and indoors. This prevents them from being used to heat your colony unless you put them in their own separate room. But since they produce so much heat, you pretty much have to spam tons of vents if you want to restore temperature flow to the rest of the base -- particularly if you have multiple geothermal holes in one place.

The other issue that might warrant upgraded vents is the fact current vents don't transfer heat fast enough to heat larger rooms (9 by 9 or larger?) during the colder winters. This is another instance in which you need multiple parallel vents to get heat to transfer fast enough.

Anyways, that's just a suggestion. I know one could just as easily create walls full of vents, but I think having a single, larger vent as an alternative could reduce game CPU usage, decrease unnecessary complexity of central heating designs, and it might even look aesthetically better.

Latta

Making vent bigger won't help, as It already push each room's average temperature. But I can make them(or new type of vent, powered vent) push each room's temperature directly.
Also, next release will have air duct(or heat pipe, if you prefer) system. Hope it ease the problem.

Latta

Progress report for v20.

Vents:
Vent heat exchange rate is now twice stronger. There should be a lot less problem equalizing big rooms.
Active vent is now lockable.
Major code cleanup in equalization method.

Temperature controllers:
Industrial heater is now stronger to compensate heater buff of Alpha 9.
Added industrial cooler. Supporting multiple, external exhaust ports, attaching more ports will increase its efficiency. Does not work without one.

New things:
Air duct system, AirNet. Less efficient than vents, but it can equalize separate rooms together. I'm hunting a bug of it right now. Huge credit to https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=11276.0.
-Duct pipe
-Duct "holes"(don't know what to call them now): Simple/Powered/Ceiling/Smart (works like active vents)
---Graphics not worked yet; vent graphic as temporary graphics.
-AirNet overlay like power grid overlay. Known issue: You can see them only by selecting buildings using electricity, not duct systems.

UMK

And still thermodynamics are not implemented (at least for heaters  ;D).