[1.1] Rimsenal v1.5: beta edition

Started by rooki1, March 03, 2015, 11:54:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What do you want to see in the next update?

Improvised equipments pack: Homemade pistol, pipe shotgun, scrap armor... and glorious Thunderstick!
34 (20.5%)
Xeno beasts pack: Is there anyone want to see a genetically modified cyber-raptor?
68 (41%)
Celestial pack: New faction pack. Adds new xeno human faction, the celestials.
64 (38.6%)

Total Members Voted: 166

Voting closed: September 02, 2015, 09:08:09 PM

Shinzy

Oh yeah, free price coupled with how well it protects from cold (pawns can use any clothing regardless of which appareltags it has if the weather is cold and it would help them survive it) Atleast that was the case few alphas ago when I had parkas spawn on my vikings during winter without my say so :p

Helpful Bot

I know your poll is closed but please add 20 more votes for the Xeno beasts. Why 20? I shouted out my window at a group of about 20 people passing by my house asking them whether they wanted Xeno beasts and i'm pretty sure their replies were yes so its totally legit. Please kick our asses with some Vibro-raptors with vorpal claws of death and destruction. Amen.

Deimos Rast

Quote from: ngcq1811 on September 08, 2016, 11:11:42 AM
The feral weapons' astounding lack of accuracy puts me off, I must say. I'm still researching until I can try out the 5 Rimsenal weapon categories, but so far the High Caliber weapons have yielded greater accuracy and damage  than the Tactical and Feral weapons (tested through a few raids and target practice on Berserk prisoners, I ended up prioritizing sending my HC-wiedling colonists) as well as value, but Rimsenal weapons have a fairly small Work requirement and thus can be mass produced pretty efficiently. Maybe that's where the balance comes in?

Then again, it would be awesome if a weapon statistics standard were followed and weapon mods could be used uninamously.
If you follow me around these forums, I've been hitting up every weapons mod leaving feedback on balance. I decided to start making a spreadsheet.
Also, Feral weapons aren't supposed to be the most accurate, no. They're made by people living in the ruins of civilization.
#StopPluginAbuse

Helpful Bot

Technically speaking, aren't all Rimworlders kind of living in the ruins of civilization? The only gun the ferals have that I use consistently and that feels more sophisticated/powerful than the rest of their lineup is the Crucifier. Overall though, I think he nailed down the immersion aesthetic of the ferals really well.

okiri

Dont underestimate their scorcher. Fire is a great crowd control weapon.

Helpful Bot

That 12? range though. And with other weapons if I manage to shoot my own guys...meh. With fire, for whatever reason my colonists prefer to sprint off into the horizon for 5 minutes with their asses on fire till they eventually die.

okiri

Good positioning and flooring prevents fire spreading to your pawns. Sometimes battles are random and yes it sucks, but look, Kamikaze pawns are great with this especially in sieges. Equip them a shield take some go juice, run towards the siege, unequip the shield when near and scorch the place apart while your other pawns snipe. A+ grade fun.

Rafe009

@rooki1

So i did a bit of editing <MarketValue>150</MarketValue>
      <ArmorRating_Blunt>0.03</ArmorRating_Blunt>
      <ArmorRating_Sharp>0.03</ArmorRating_Sharp>
      <Insulation_Cold>-2</Insulation_Cold>

added the market value line removed heat insulation. This probably isn't what you intended but it works for the most part to limit hoods in winter. Nerfed armor sharp by about 67% too.

Clearly what was happening was well beyond your control as this seems to be something that is countermanding normal restrictions specifically for winter survival issues.

My additions could imbalance the game after stripping of feral corpses, i don't think i should be able to turn massive profit by selling feral hoods but i'll deal with that later when i have to or just impose a rule for myself in the game to burn them.

Anyway thanks for the great visuals and mod

Deimos Rast

lol feral hood flipping new meta.
still doesn't explain the lack of respect for apparel tags, but meh.
#StopPluginAbuse

Shinzy

Quote from: Deimos Rast on September 09, 2016, 11:35:19 AM
lol feral hood flipping new meta.
still doesn't explain the lack of respect for apparel tags, but meh.

By my experience pawns are allowed to pick any available clothing items that would let them survive certain winter conditions citation needed

Rafe009

Quote from: Deimos Rast on September 09, 2016, 11:35:19 AM

Yeah, without a doubt Tynaan's code is countermanding them for the purposes of pawn survival i'm thinking. Tynaan stated in a video or in a blog post that pawns would not longer spawn on icesheets and start loosing toes and fingers but would instead come with parkas and cold weather gear.

The ubiquitous nature of the hoods now makes sense in that they are probably the most desirable headgear in all of rimworld. They are free for one and offer almost as much cold insulation as a tuque. In addition they have tremendous armor for sharp attack resistance and even offer heat considerable insulation.

AtomicRavioli

Love the mod, but if I had one single complaint... it would be that some of the weapon sounds are way too loud compared to vanilla.

ngcq1811

A few feedback regarding Federation weapons:

The Federation rifles and sniper rifles are ungodly inaccurate at long range for me. The sniper rifle, equipped on a careful shooter and has a 90% chance of hitting a centipede from 40 tiles away, misses 7 out of 10 bursts, and that's entire bursts. The bullets never seem to land, even when I test fire on rocks or go hunting at any distance, on my best hunters, without any obstructions.

In terms of average shot hit they are easily outdone by the standard Greydale weapons at mid range (Greydale rifle is now the standard issue rifle for my colony), and at close range the Stormer with its 100% accuracy kinda put Federation's motto for accuracy to shame. I sent 3 snipers with Fed rifle + fed sniper rifle + Mk 14 to take out a poison ship and the Mk 14 killed three Scythers and inflicted the most damage on the Centipedes. The Fed rifle shone at taking out Monitors at mid-close range though.

But all other weapon brands have been excellent except for Federation high tier weapons, to a point where I'd prefer to use a Fed pistol over the rifles for hunting. Or maybe I haven't done any thorough calculation and comparison and the way the Fed sniper rifle misses 70% of its shots is confusing me...

Helpful Bot

I found the exact same issue with Fed sniper rifles. Something is amiss with them because landing a shot is bizarrely difficult.

Deimos Rast

So I compared the accuracy of the Fed Sniper Rifle (Intercessor) and the Stock Sniper Rifle. The accuracy curve for the stock sniper rifle, after touch range is effectively flat (0.86 > 0.86 > 0.88). The Intercessor, however, curves up at the end rather sharply (0.7 > 0.9 > 0.95). In short, you really need to pick far away targets.
There is no forced missed radius or anything, so that explanation is out.
The only other explanation (which I find unlikely) is the projectile being fired: the Intercessor fires an explosive round, whereas the Sniper Rifle fires a regular bullet. I'm not suggesting the game is modeling different ballistics or anything; rather that (if anything) thingClass 'Projectile_Explosive' is different than thingClass 'Bullet' (might have a built-in forced miss/inaccuracy that needs to be overridden). It's a bit of a stretch, but that's the only other difference I can think of.

========================================
@rooki1
I just finished putting all the weapons of Rimsenal (regular) into a spreadsheet with stock weapons and High Caliber weapons, and there are a few discrepancies you might be interested in.
- Most importantly, almost all of your weapons WorkToMake values are off by a wide margin (usually by x10). Obviously, this is dependent on taste, but compare the stock Assault Rifle (Work 120,000 Value 650) and the GRC Carbine (Work 12,000 Value 700) or the stock Pistol (Work 32,000 Value 200) to the Lynx Tactical Pistol (Work 8,000 Value 300) and you get the idea. Every single gun (and melee weapon) comes in under the stock WorkToMake values.
- Jaguar & Grendel Grenade Launchers have "flyOverhead = true" which is usually (almost always) reserved for mortars.
- Grenades: I don't think this actually causes an issue, but it's something that's an error in the stock game: the space between 'Radius' and the '>'. Your grenades have it. <explosionRadius >4</explosionRadius >
- Graydale DefenceTech is currently set to tech level Industrial (not Spacer), has not requirement of a MultiAnalyzer, and has no prerequisites, making it completely different than ever other tech. If intentional, disregard comment.

That's it for now. I'll post the spreadsheet when I add some more to it, if you're curious.
I'm really enjoying the level of attention and detail you put into this mod. I specifically like all the names you gave the weapons. Really makes the whole thing come alive. Very well done. Top tier. :)

#StopPluginAbuse