Forum rules (old)

Started by Hypolite, October 04, 2013, 08:21:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RemingtonRyder

Warnings are just that. They're there to help you not get banned.

In the case of Rule 6, for example, it's best to nip it in the bud before it becomes a discussion that the moderator has to (temporarily) lock, edit and warn a half-dozen people for. At least, that's how I see it.

Obviously, discussing piracy is a much less serious offence than say, actually engaging in it on the boards. But as you might expect, repeated offences will probably lead to further action. I'd rather that it didn't come to that - I imagine that the paperwork's a pain in the butt. :)

Anyway, I hope this answers your question, however indirectly. Have a nice day!

StorymasterQ

Hey, do you think it's a good idea to put link to this post on the warning?
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here

RemingtonRyder

I think I would rather put the link in as an edit for the post which someone received a warning for.

I've added it to my sig though, so I'll trail it along wherever I go. :)

milon

^ Makes sense to me.  Put the reminder with the violation rather than in a later post.

RemingtonRyder

Hi folks,

I would like to draw your attention to Rule 3 today. For example, I would rather that you report a borderline aggressive post which later turns out to not break the rules, than risk escalation.

Thanks.

Adamiks

"6. No piracy: No discussions of game piracy, and especially no posting of pirate links or material."

I'm just curious if someone would said on forum that he have pirated version of RimWorld he would be banned? Of course i'm not saying that i have pirated Rimworld.

Tynan

Quote from: Adamiks on May 20, 2015, 06:29:20 AM
"6. No piracy: No discussions of game piracy, and especially no posting of pirate links or material."

I'm just curious if someone would said on forum that he have pirated version of RimWorld he would be banned? Of course i'm not saying that i have pirated Rimworld.

The exact response would depend on context, but it would be deleted and warned at a minimum.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

lurp

Tynan

Quote from: lurp on August 21, 2015, 11:48:46 PM
Who would ever break rule 11?

People looking to abuse the site in one of many possible ways.

A Friend

Quote from: lurp on August 21, 2015, 11:48:46 PM
Who would ever break rule 11?

*Was banned multiple times on multiple accounts*

"For you, the day Randy graced your colony with a game-ending raid was the most memorable part of your game. But for Cassandra, it was Tuesday"

Squiggly lines you call drawings aka "My Deviantart page"

RemingtonRyder

Hi everyone.

Look, breaking rule 1 is a bannable offence, regardless of the context.

There are cases where the moderation team can be lenient. This is not one of them.

LouisTBR

Is swearing not allowed? I understand racial and religious discrimination is a no-no, but what about swearing? I have used 'Bloody' and 'Crap' on the forums which I don't beleive is too bad, but what about 'F***'?
Only in RimWorld is the phrase "31 Heavily-Armed Siegers are currently bombing your base" preferable to "50 manhunting squirrels are attacking your colony"

StorymasterQ

I think, swearing just for swearing sake is bad. Swearing (maliciously) at other people is bad. But swearing at the game or at circumstances that kills your party, I think is okay (enough).

Anyway, I use "FUUUUCRYIN' OUT LOUD!"
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here

Tynan

I've added two new rules:

-No sexualization of minors
-Mods enforce these rules only

Regarding the second rule, I've added it because I think we should provide a consistent, predictable rules environment for forumgoers. If mods are there enforcing unwritten rules, it often devolves into them enforcing their personal moral codes. This is a recipe for conflicts between mods, inconsistency and confusion, anger, and censorship. I've seen far too many forums destroyed by arbitrary moderator action. As with countries, forums are better served by a consistent, rule-of-law approach.

The rules are always in flux, and can change to accomodate new situations, but they must change publicly and as a result of an internal discussion. Clarity and consistency are good for the community!

topp2000

Quote from: Tynan on February 07, 2016, 11:26:37 PM
I've added two new rules:

-No sexualization of minors
-Mods enforce these rules only

Regarding the second rule, I've added it because I think we should provide a consistent, predictable rules environment for forumgoers. If mods are there enforcing unwritten rules, it often devolves into them enforcing their personal moral codes. This is a recipe for conflicts between mods, inconsistency and confusion, anger, and censorship. I've seen far too many forums destroyed by arbitrary moderator action. As with countries, forums are better served by a consistent, rule-of-law approach.

The rules are always in flux, and can change to accomodate new situations, but they must change publicly and as a result of an internal discussion. Clarity and consistency are good for the community!

Rule 13, means that do not welcome users can not speak English?