How close to completion is the game now?

Started by Spectre, May 29, 2015, 09:12:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spectre

I know this is a bit of a loaded question, and the usual answer is 'When it's done' however even the best developers have a time frame. I've seen this game turn from a murder simulator to a... more advanced murder simulator :)

The problem with a game like Rimworld is that you could just keep adding features forever in theory.

So how happy are you with the game in the state it is, and if Tynan ever graces me with his presence, how long do you think development will be? I'm not asking for a date, but months, years?
Holding hands whilst the walls come tumbling down.

laston

But you are asking for a date... I know Tyn has stated before, it's done when he feels it's done...

I don't know about you, but I happy with that answer.  I feel if Tyn slapped a Released tag on it today, I've gotten more than my money's worth out of it.  Especially with the modding that has been done.

akiceabear

Agreed with laston that the game is already great value for money. Anything else added is just icing on the cake.

I also look forward to when he goes 1.0 and releases it on Steam. While the modders are already great, I imagine modding will go into overdrive once the game is more widely played and the core code is relatively stable.

Tynan

You guys are welcome to speculate. For me I see no immediate reason to end it. It still makes good money, I enjoy working on it and people enjoy playing it so why not continue?

I don't have a "final vision" for the game because I consider design to be an exploratory process. So I keep "lodestars" to guide and focus the design, but it's not about coloring in some predetermined set of lines in my head.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

akiceabear

QuoteFor me I see no immediate reason to end it. It still makes good money, I enjoy working on it and people enjoy playing it so why not continue?

This makes me happy  :)

SSS

Quote from: Tynan on May 29, 2015, 11:50:34 PM
You guys are welcome to speculate. For me I see no immediate reason to end it. It still makes good money, I enjoy working on it and people enjoy playing it so why not continue?

I don't have a "final vision" for the game because I consider design to be an exploratory process. So I keep "lodestars" to guide and focus the design, but it's not about coloring in some predetermined set of lines in my head.

If I may analogize, do you see yourself as someone who draws the focus first and then draws the background/side stuff, or do you see yourself as someone who draws the background first and works their way into the focus?

That might not be the best analogy or, even if it is a decent analogy, it might not be easily answerable given your method of development, but if you think it could apply, I'd be interested in your answer.

RickyMartini

I think Tynan loves putting new ideas in and then when he has enough feedback from the community, he tweaks the new features. Top notch developing imo.

keylocke

i've started considering rimworld as one of the timeless sandbox classics like dwarf fortress, minecraft, terraria, etc.. ever since the game changing introduction of the biomes and temperature system.

meanwhile : relationship system, religion system, water & hygiene system, pregnancy & kids system, z-level system, multiplayer system, more zoning system, visitor interaction sytem, fame(?) system, etc.. there are still many game changing paths that can be explored in the future for the expansion of rimworld.

besides, there's already like a world of difference between alpha 1 and alpha 11 (i've been playing this game since alpha 1), which is why people will probably keep buying it coz it's like a fresh new game almost every update.  ;D

Elixiar

Quote from: keylocke on May 30, 2015, 10:33:21 AM
i've started considering rimworld as one of the timeless sandbox classics like dwarf fortress, minecraft, terraria, etc.. ever since the game changing introduction of the biomes and temperature system.

meanwhile : relationship system, religion system, water & hygiene system, pregnancy & kids system, z-level system, multiplayer system, more zoning system, visitor interaction sytem, fame(?) system, etc.. there are still many game changing paths that can be explored in the future for the expansion of rimworld.

I can't really see kids, pregnancy, z level In this game, ever. It's not the sims which in my opinion is a good thing. But man a hydration system would fit in right at home!
besides, there's already like a world of difference between alpha 1 and alpha 11 (i've been playing this game since alpha 1), which is why people will probably keep buying it coz it's like a fresh new game almost every update.  ;D
"We didn't crash here by accident... something brought us down". - Anon Rimworld Colonist

Kegereneku

Er.... Elixiar, I thing you messed up your [ quote].
I've seen that happen a lot recently.
"Sam Starfall joined your colony"
"Sam Starfall left your colony with all your valuable"
-------
Write an Event
[Story] Write an ending ! (endless included)
[Story] Imagine a Storyteller !

MrWiggles

Z-Levels could be pretty interesting for Rimworld. Making 3d structures, just greatly expands what you can do with the tools already in place.

And babies and preggers, are just part of simulating life that the game is already doing. Its doubtful any colony would be ran long enough to have any of the kids reach age of maturty, but thats never been a real problem for say, Dwarf Fortress. I was shocked when I had a dog die of old age, and I like it when my dorfs have kids.

RickyMartini

Since Rimworld is going to be an open ended development, the time to complete it is Infinite.

So that means it is already 2 years in development.
2 Years is exactly 0% of an infinite amount of years.

So there you have it, at the moment completion is at exactly 0%.

Adamiks

Quote from: Skissor on May 31, 2015, 08:16:40 AM
Since Rimworld is going to be an open ended development, the time to complete it is Infinite.

So that means it is already 2 years in development.
2 Years is exactly 0% of an infinite amount of years.

So there you have it, at the moment completion is at exactly 0%.

Actually.... It isn't 0%, because at some point Tynan will add to game everything that he will can add. For example Tynan can't add whole universe to the Rimworld, because computers just don't have so good hard drives ;D

Frankenbeasley

Quote from: Adamiks on May 31, 2015, 10:06:42 AM
For example Tynan can't add whole universe to the Rimworld, because computers just don't have so good hard drives ;D

Yet...
You live and learn. At any rate, you live.  - Douglas Adams

Adamiks

Quote from: Frankenbeasley on May 31, 2015, 10:16:57 AM
Quote from: Adamiks on May 31, 2015, 10:06:42 AM
For example Tynan can't add whole universe to the Rimworld, because computers just don't have so good hard drives ;D

Yet...

Aye, yet, but Tynan is working fast ;)