Morgue Ship

Started by IdeaBoy, October 06, 2013, 07:26:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nasikabatrachus

Quote from: Stickle on November 20, 2013, 06:20:25 PM
Quote from: DeltaV on November 20, 2013, 06:14:38 PM
There should be a slight positive boost to burying someone, even a raider. 'Being humane' or something like that.

I don't see why. Considering dozens, if not hundreds, of cultures around the world burn or used to burn their dead out of respect... It just so happens that the Abrahamic religions stress the importance of burial, there is nothing particularly humane or extra moral about it. It's just a matter of perspective.

That said, burying the dead in individual graves vs. piling them in a dump and setting them on fire... Sure. Which is why I think there should be an actual funeral pyre or something.

This is why I'd like to see more granulated personalities to the pawns. The cultural composition of a colony could be expressed differently from game to game, depending on which choices make colonists happy, and which utilitarian compromises make them unhappy.

Edit: For example. Maybe a person from a very advanced world thinks bodies, no matter what the dead people did, should be put in refrigeration, because on their world the dead can be resurrected with relative ease. After all, it's only humane.

GhostxxxShadow

I have 25+ dead bodies in my front yard wasting valuable space.
err.... I mean in the game. LOL

Untrustedlife

On Day 80 in my current game
I just leave the bodies to rot, and put some in gibbets and scare the crap out of my prisoners which increases loyalty because of the fear alongside a few vicious beatings.
Then recruit them (because when you get to a point fear increases loyalty because the prisoner doesn't want to die)

I put all the colonists who die in actual graveyards with gravestones.

and i have a huge minefield that kills every raider who attacks me.

My map looks like a bloody battlefield. Full of raider bodies.
So dwarf fortress in space eh?
I love it.
I love it so much.
Please keep it that way.

Hey Guys, Here is the first succession Game of rim world for your reading Pleasure, it is in progress right now

LINK

Sinnick

At this point I just set up a couple of dump sites with dead bodies enables out of the way.  As those get full I send a colonist with a Incendiary launcher over to give them a nice viking funeral for my vanquished foes.  Get a couple hits off and the fire spread nicely and destroys most of the bodies.  That being said, the idea of a crashing morgue ship, or hell debris from space battles above the colony,  makes me very happy.  The space battle one in particular would be a fun positive/negative type event.  The positive being material and perhaps escape pods to salvage.  The negative being large chunks of ship and possibly a missile or two raining down on your world. 

Hektoer

Partially on topic, I have noted that if a fire sweeps through my cemetery of filled graves, I have shiny new unoccupied graves to make use of.

OobleckTheGreen

I have a decent strategy for this. One, I build an enclosed morgue with a corpse-only dump zone. It has a door that exits out to my "fire lane" where I corral incoming invaders with a strategic corridor so my defenders can pick them off at a distance. Before each raider battle, I put 2-3 mines directly in the center of my room. They're spaced so their explosion doesn't touch the walls. After the battle, my colonists get priority tasking to clean up bodies, which go straight to the "morgue." Then, just set off one of the mines, which sets off the other 2. All bodies instantly gone.

colonistPally

Quote from: Tynan on October 06, 2013, 10:38:19 PM
You can actually get rid of bodies by blowing them up. Or burning them :)

I need to write some code so there are psychological costs to doing this...

If I may humbly whine about this.. the psychological impacts are already almost completely game-ending. You get a debuff for watching the death, a debuff for the blood making the place dirty, and a debuff because you're around a dead body.

Unless you're going to make it a positive buff for like, burying the body (a temporary one) I feel like an additional body-splosion debuff would pretty much wipe your entire group. I know I'd be mad too if a flying arm hit me in the face from across the colony but... I don't know. I personally bury mine. Although I did have an entire grid of bodies until I figured out how to properly bury them.

I love the morgue ship idea too, but then I think if we have morgue ships, there needs to be an option for the morgue ship to crash land and add like an influx of bodies on the ground just like other materials (scaling as the game moves forward).

I also like a bioreactor idea, the soylent green idea, and the fertilizer idea. :) I think we should have them alllllll! :)

Mmm so much fun ideas for this game. :)

Coenmcj

True that, Bioreactors could probably make a base entirely self sustainable, disolving the bodies or incinerating them could make for a few accidents. ;)

Morgue ships floating about the place full of corpses would only really make sense if there was a reason to ship them around, Like a bioreactor for instance...
Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite

keylocke

agreed with the soylent green reference.

nutrient paste. yum.  ;D

asides that, how about body decomposition and disease? most times colonists die of explosions, burns, and gun wounds. i also want them to have a higher chance of contracting diseases after eating food made from corpses or just by simply handling dead bodies or living in bloodied surroundings.

Vas

Technically you can dispose of bodies.  Use the mines to blast them.  It takes one or 2 mines on bodies and you can clear debris the same way just takes about 6 mines.
Click to see my steam. I'm a lazy modder who takes long breaks and everyone seems to hate.

Headshotkill

Morgues for preserving body's, harvest organs... wounded colonist ---> transplantation... needs doctor... Is the organ compatible?!

The drama!

OmegaConstruct

The solution during my first playthrough ever was to skip graves entirely and just go straight for crypts buried in the mountain. Out of sight out of mind.

Since then, I've been using bolti1703's cremation/morgue table mod (wood version). http://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=2413.0 to bury everyone in stone graves.

SPAZZx7

Quote from: Pheanox on October 06, 2013, 09:01:11 PM
Well, you can dig graves to 'store' dead bodies, so I'm not sure how big of a deal that is.

Though, this did spark an interesting thought.  You could have a morgue in your base, and use frozen bodies for science and stuff.  Cryo-tech exists, and is familiar to your survivors, so shouldn't be too hard to get on a research tree.  Then you can get events like a ship coming by that wants to buy off dead bodies for harvesting organs or other experiments.  Now you have to choose between using the bodies for spare parts for your own colonists, or the cash selling them could get you.  Or alternatively, your colonists could be against experimenting on corpses and just bury them.

This

Zack_Wester

An morgue would work to, Yes just burning the corpse out in the open should give an penalty, but an proper Morgue and something to store the ash in maybe an 3X3 (2X2) pound/well that can store X amount of ash and each body produce 1 ash unit, jars may or may not be needed for this.

jamieg

well we have a mod being release when Alpha 3 is release, so that if you chop your people up into meat, you can box the meat up out of site and sell it to the cannibal traders ;) so now you can make money from your dead enemy's rotting corpses :)
YES! Its true! im updating The BIG BANG mod pack check it out here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orzLZbECR20&list=UUr1sEPUEhFqy01q16zGisIg