Suggestions wanted: Animals!

Started by Tynan, July 03, 2015, 02:50:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skullywag

what about mixing more animals with more events, we only have beavers and wargs. What about swarm/plague based animals, locusts/frogs/rats etc...have them add disease/eat your crops.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

Lonely Rogue

Quote from: skullywag on July 05, 2015, 09:05:38 AM
what about mixing more animals with more events, we only have beavers and wargs. What about swarm/plague based animals, locusts/frogs/rats etc...have them add disease/eat your crops.
Quote from: DDawgSierra on July 05, 2015, 03:48:53 AM
Like mr.wiggle said I'm thinking a ship crash that let's loose alien animals that do something like the beavers or wargs and have an event

User was warned for this post: Content-free bumping.
Edit:Oops! I must've accidentally deleted the words. I was going to say- You weren't forgotten!
Rimworld: A game where you're kept as entertainment for thousand year old robots, and you just don't know it yet.
Any mod requests?

MrWiggles

Quote from: Serviette Union on July 05, 2015, 07:36:51 AM
This might be outside the scope but I'd quite like to see fish. Perhaps leading to a fishing skill and new food source in future updates.
Yea but how do you prevent fish from being an infinite food source?

StorymasterQ

Quote from: MrWiggles on July 03, 2015, 08:54:39 PM
Cats. They adopt a colonist and become that colonist pet. Colonist get happy thoughts when interacting socially with cats.

NOOOO NOT CATSPLOSION!
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here

Jaxxa

Might be too similar to Tunnel worms, but here is an idea I have been meaning to mod in for a while.

Called: Rockalo (similar appearance to the Horta from Startrek)

While not usually aggressive these creatures are able to tunnel through solid rock thanks to their unique physiology that allows them to melt the rock down and resolidify it behind them. They appear to see by sensing electromagnetic distortions, that allow them to pick up the specific minerals in rocks that they feed on (does not eat map metal deposits), however this also draws them towards the power generators and storage systems of the colony, causing them to tunnel into underground colonies, usually only one or very few in number.

While they will not attack directly unless threatened, they are extremely hot and have been known to start fires in their area and very tough.

• Spawns into an underground base, only (or more likley) through natural walls as to encourage the colony to dig out and replace the natural walls with man made walls.
  • Extremely tough to kill (as much or more than a mechanoid centapied)
  • Low standard attack, melee only
  • Passively flings sparks that have a chance to start fires, similar to how fires spread
  • If not attacked will leave after a while
  • Drawn to power generators / batteries?

Spawns as an event in the colony, This then gives the colony a choice to fight it or just put out the fires until it leaves on it's own. And encourages natural walls to be replaced with man made walls, adding a potential cost bringing underground bases more in line with outdoor bases in the late game.

kingtyris

I haven't read through the thread, but here are some ideas:

Biome specific recolors of existing animals. Muffalo are cool, but a plains muffalo should be brown while a tundra muffalo should be white. The same would work with hares, etc. This would be a low cost way to add more wildlife variety to the game.

More predators! Foxes that attack squirrels and hares, maybe lone bears that attack larger game and the occasional colonist who wanders too close. A predator killing another animal could be treated as a butchering bill, although it would drop less meat and no leather, and the animal would eat the meat immediately. Maybe the behavior kicks in when the animal gets too hungry.

Ents! I mean, Treants! I mean, some uncopyrighted tree mimicker! Pretty rare, attacks when you try to chop it down.

Birds? Can ignore walls, but not roofs. Maybe they fly into your garden to peck at your crops? They don't eat a lot but can be a nuisance, especially in flocks.

Penguins! Because of COURSE penguins!

Keychan

I've always found the lack of a birds a bit off.  Seagulls for sea shore biomes, vultures for deserts, ostriches for the arid shrublands, penguins for icesheets, bird of prey for tundras, and wild fowl for temperate forests. These birds could have a special mechanic where they could nest and eggs could be collected for food. 

SSS

• Penguins: For the ice sheets (or, alternatively, any super-cold coastal biome). Potentially seals and walruses too.
• Boom-Muffalo: Like the boomrats, except a lot bigger and scarier!
• Moles: They tunnel underground most of the time and destroy crops if they cross them. Maybe make them immune to ranged weapons when tunneling?
• Tree w/insect hive: If you try to chop down the tree, an insect swarm (one entity) spawns to defend it. Have it despawn if they aren't approached for awhile. Allow the tree to be burnt down without their spawning.
• Camels or some variant would be a cool addition for the desert biome.
• Some sort of alpha-predator that could kill off the majority of the wildlife on the map if left to its own devices. Bonus points if each biome has a different version of this.
• Hares/rabbits: They provide minimal meat, but breed exponentially (other animals despawn as necessary). If you don't nip them while they're few in number, all of the game on the map will be of lower quality.
• Any animal that will damage exposed power conduits.

That's all for now.

Tynan

Quote from: SSS on July 06, 2015, 12:19:19 AM
• Boom-Muffalo: Like the boomrats, except a lot bigger and scarier!

That could actually be amazing.

Imagine taming it and sending it into battle.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

MrWiggles

How gruesome. And tribals should know better.

Ramsis

We're already working on dogs with Project K9; posted a teaser today on the subreddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/RimWorld/comments/3c8yry/johnson_do_you_see_what_i_see_what_is_it_sar_wait/

Looking to add in dogs that function mostly-realistically, help out around the base... sort of.... keep morale up, hunting, small bits of hauling, etc.
Ugh... I have SO MANY MESSES TO CLEAN UP. Oh also I slap people around who work on mods <3

"Back off man, I'm a scientist."
- Egon Stetmann

Awoo~

Shinzy

Quote from: MrWiggles on July 05, 2015, 09:05:02 PM
This might be outside the scope but I'd quite like to see fish. Perhaps leading to a fishing skill and new food source in future updates.

mercury overdose!

Lonely Rogue

• Camels or some variant would be a cool addition for the desert biome.
• Hares/rabbits: They provide minimal meat, but breed exponentially (other animals despawn as necessary). If you don't nip them while they're few in number, all of the game on the map will be of lower quality.

That's all for now.
[/quote]
Hares and 'dromedarys' already exist. (Camel lookalike)
Edit- what happened to the quote?!
Rimworld: A game where you're kept as entertainment for thousand year old robots, and you just don't know it yet.
Any mod requests?

Lonely Rogue

Quote from: Keychan on July 06, 2015, 12:15:13 AM
I've always found the lack of a birds a bit off.  Seagulls for sea shore biomes, vultures for deserts, ostriches for the arid shrublands, penguins for icesheets, bird of prey for tundras, and wild fowl for temperate forests. These birds could have a special mechanic where they could nest and eggs could be collected for food.
I in no way live in a desert and yesterday there were three vultures eating a dead body outside of my house. Stop being so vulture rascist! (Kidding on the racist part)
Any mod requests?

A Friend

Quote from: Shinzy on July 06, 2015, 05:33:54 AM
Quote from: MrWiggles on July 05, 2015, 09:05:02 PM

mercury overdose!

Mercury you say!?

*Yellow mail pops up*

You have developed autism!

Jokes aside,

Steelions / Steetles / Metalmites
A large harmless insect with serious cases of metal munchies.

- Large harmless insects with metal exoskeletons that would eat steel plates left on the open. When killed, it can be smelted for a small amount of steel resources.

Megamantis
Solitary cousins of the megascarab. A large genetically engineered insectoid with light reflecting exoskeletons. Originally designed to ambush forward scouts of mechanoid armies. Now it eviscerates your colonists instead.

- Will turn slightly invisible when any animal or people go nearby it and will attack those who come close.
"For you, the day Randy graced your colony with a game-ending raid was the most memorable part of your game. But for Cassandra, it was Tuesday"

Squiggly lines you call drawings aka "My Deviantart page"