REALLY NEED MINIMAP!!!

Started by caesius, July 18, 2015, 06:32:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GamerGuy

WHY ARE ALL YOUR THREADS START WITH CAPSLOCK ON?

ON TOPIC. EVEN WHEN YOU HAVE THE BIGGEST MAP SIZE THERE IS NO NEED FOR A MINI-MAP.

fatwilf

b0rsuk

Minimap is vital in games where you can't zoom out. In games where you can, it's redundant.

darkrage000

seriously... the average map size is like 300x300.. a quick flick of your mouse covers that.

Songleaves

Maybe it depends on the resolution you play at, but with my resolution on 250 x 250 maps I cannot zoom out all the way to see the entire map, and it takes about 2 seconds with the arrow keys to scroll from one side to the other. Sometimes it feels like I am playing chess but can only see 85% of the board at a time.

A Friend

Quote from: Songleaves on July 20, 2015, 08:06:49 PM
Maybe it depends on the resolution you play at, but with my resolution on 250 x 250 maps I cannot zoom out all the way to see the entire map, and it takes about 2 seconds with the arrow keys to scroll from one side to the other. Sometimes it feels like I am playing chess but can only see 85% of the board at a time.

Holding shift makes the map scroll incredibly faster.
"For you, the day Randy graced your colony with a game-ending raid was the most memorable part of your game. But for Cassandra, it was Tuesday"

Squiggly lines you call drawings aka "My Deviantart page"

Johnny Masters

I always play on ludicrous and it takes quite a while to cross the map, about 13 seconds, 7 secs with shift, which is annoying because i have to drop the mouse and scroll with arrow keys. Sure, i can zoom out, but that also takes time and effort, and most of the time i play zoomed in (please, don't say that i should play more zoomed out, i could say the same that people should play zoomed in). Also, its not always about having to scroll to places, but being aware of things just at a glance.

You know what makes all that easier? Yep, a minimap.

Quote from: Z0MBIE2 on July 20, 2015, 12:53:36 AM
What do you mean by "saving and loading locations"? Like explain in detail what these would be.

I'm not sure if it comes by a different name, but its a feature i've seen in a few strategy games (not only rts). Basically you save the location you're currently watching - similar to like you would group and go-to a unit in a regular rts - then quickly go to that place at a button's press. ex.: You scroll over to your killbox zone and press  ctrl+f1, then you roll over to your mines and press ctrl+f2 then back to your main base, right over your dinning area and press ctrl+f3. Then instead of having to scroll over every where, every time you want to check each of these areas you simply press the corresponding F key (or whatever binding it is).  Simple, elegant and effective.

A Friend

Quote from: Johnny Masters on July 21, 2015, 12:52:37 AM
I always play on ludicrous and it takes quite a while to cross the map, about 13 seconds, 7 secs with shift, which is annoying because i have to drop the mouse and scroll with arrow keys. Sure, i can zoom out, but that also takes time and effort, and most of the time i play zoomed in (please, don't say that i should play more zoomed out, i could say the same that people should play zoomed in). Also, its not always about having to scroll to places, but being aware of things just at a glance.

Fair points and understandable. I never really played at those giant maps so I didn't realize just how big they were. And I don't think that much people do as well. For cases like those, being able to zip around instantly would be very big help. But, I don't think there's too much action on many parts of a map to warrant constant scrolling everywhere. Okay I realized how it would be quite troublesome to click on a message zoomed in the middle of nowhere then lose track of where your base would be.

Opinion changed, seems useful for you folks and simple scrolling sucks on those maps.
+1 Agree

How complex the information shown on it however, is debatable.
"For you, the day Randy graced your colony with a game-ending raid was the most memorable part of your game. But for Cassandra, it was Tuesday"

Squiggly lines you call drawings aka "My Deviantart page"

pigman999999999

ya i think a minmap would be complty use less and would take up space and ist there a mod for that

Songleaves

Quote from: A Friend on July 20, 2015, 08:51:55 PM
Quote from: Songleaves on July 20, 2015, 08:06:49 PM

Holding shift makes the map scroll incredibly faster.

Thanks a lot, that really helps lol.

Toggle

Yeah Johnny a realized a bit after you meant colonist saved positions. That would actually be interesting, and there's no doubt against it being useful.
Selling broken colonist souls for two thousand gold. Accepting cash or credit.