Let's talk about Zlevels

Started by Daman453, September 01, 2015, 10:27:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daman453

I was looking over on the topic of will you fund a new round of rimworld development? and there was alot of talk of Z-levels, so for those people, here's the tread about z-levels.

For me i don't think it could be much hassle to get everything working. But if done right could be a reason why i keep playing. Thoughts?
Quote from: StorymasterQ on February 02, 2016, 08:19:52 PM
For flu, try a cock. If that doesn't work, try boobmilk. Nice.

TheDirge

If Z-levels are properly introduced it would improve the quality of the game immensely.

Aerouge

I personally love Z-levels in Gnomoria and DF. Still I think they would not play nice with Rimworld as they would interfere with current designs.

Take attacks for example. Tynan spend a good amount of time combating players "turteling" by setting up narrow death-corridors without cover and full of auto-turrets. He used attacks via Drop-Pods, Sieges with mortars, AI-Shooting around corners and attacking walls to stop players from building large-scale auto-defenses.

If the players could now go underground at ease most of these game-mechanism would stop working and we´d get Vault-Dwellers as the most efficient tactic of survival.

So for Z-Levels to work you´d need completely new game-designs for players to be threatened. Caveins and burrowing enemys for example. You´d need ways to interact between the Z-Levels otherwise you could build Steam-Powerplants on every Z-Levels of a Geyser etc. pp.

I´d rather see if they explored the current "playground" to it´s limits. Water-supply and demand for example is still missing, as well as meaningfull interaction between factions like trade, or maybe off-side raids on bandit-holdouts, etc. .

SO yes Z-Levels would be great but Tynan would have to build/design a whole new game-"mode" as Vault-Dwelling / Turteling with under-ground hydroponics would pretty much make the settlement immune from all current threats.

slitherrr

Quote from: Daman453 on September 01, 2015, 10:27:36 AM
For me i don't think it could be pulled of with much hassle from everything.

I love the optimism here, but I seriously doubt this is the case. If Dwarf Fortress is any model, adding a third dimension is a huge effort.

b0rsuk

Z-Levels can mean building UP. Then all of these attack strategies would still work.

Daman453

Quote from: slitherrr on September 01, 2015, 11:20:51 AM
Quote from: Daman453 on September 01, 2015, 10:27:36 AM
For me i don't think it could be pulled of with much hassle from everything.

I love the optimism here, but I seriously doubt this is the case. If Dwarf Fortress is any model, adding a third dimension is a huge effort.
I ment i don't think it could be pulled of without a hassle from everything! Sorry!
Quote from: StorymasterQ on February 02, 2016, 08:19:52 PM
For flu, try a cock. If that doesn't work, try boobmilk. Nice.

haywire-2014

I love this game and i did post in the previously mentioned thread about further development, but id like to have my say here.....

No Z-Levels please....

CB elite

I find z-levels to be an interesting concept, and I've seen a lot of requests for them, but...

I feel like z-levels are just kind of... unnecessary? I mean, this is based on my limited knowledge of them. I haven't read much on some arguments for z-levels, but would be happy to be enlightened! What would be the perks of z-levels? Like, what opportunities would open up to players?

Play2Jens

Sure, they are always welcome! But it would take months, even years, before they are implemented bug free and every little game aspect is adjusted to that.

I would rather see all that developing time go to other things like new factions, new events, new biomes (rivers, anyone?), new diplomacy, colonists relationships, more animal behavior, glass and windows, late game items, ... .

Yes, all of the above I would rather want than z-levels. I want you guys to ask yourself the same thing. Would I rather want a year of new content and refinement, stuff that really makes each RimWorld game you play feel totally unique and intriguing; or would I rather see z-levels?

Play2Jens

Quote from: CB elite on September 01, 2015, 03:02:43 PM
I find z-levels to be an interesting concept, and I've seen a lot of requests for them, but...

I feel like z-levels are just kind of... unnecessary? I mean, this is based on my limited knowledge of them. I haven't read much on some arguments for z-levels, but would be happy to be enlightened! What would be the perks of z-levels? Like, what opportunities would open up to players?

Alright. Gameplay wise:
- Be able to mine deeper into the mountain, almost gathering unlimited resources since you can dig vertically.
- Use height to get an advantage over the enemy; Colonists can build towers and shoot down on enemies
- Build trenches and deadfall traps.
- Make colonists run around way less. You can build your bedrooms above your living area when there is no room next to it anymore, so they don't have to walk so far.

Pure aesthetically:
Being able to build multiple floor houses and buildings with stairs, much more like real life.

stranger080

Quote from: b0rsuk on September 01, 2015, 11:58:03 AM
Z-Levels can mean building UP. Then all of these attack strategies would still work.
I like this idea, perhaps guns can also have a z arc as well, no underground, just multi story buildings, genius!

Toggle

Z-levels are a major thing, and just with the way it is, it would require major re-working of the entire game, meaning it's more unlikely the more the game's developed, and currently Tynan isn't even giving a bit of hope for the idea, so I doubt it'll ever happen.
Selling broken colonist souls for two thousand gold. Accepting cash or credit.

TheSilencedScream

Would allow for some interesting things, I'll admit, but given the overhaul that would be needed, I'd rather see the focus put on to more content instead.
Quote from: Topper on August 31, 2015, 03:33:25 AM
is the sledgehammer compatible with the romance mod?
Only in Rimworld.

RemingtonRyder

I'd much rather just have a pawn go into a rabbit hole with wooden/steel supports to mine deeper.

blub01

I'd really like z-levels because a 2D space simply limits creativity in regards to building. also, right now I dig into a mountain. not really a difference to digging into the ground there, and I would really like to have more than one floor, and as Rimworld already simulates roof collapses, it shouldn't be TOO hard to make higher buildings a real challenge.
Quote from: Zobaken on September 02, 2015, 12:37:37 AM
1. Please make people unable to move through deep waters. I don't like raiders cosplaying Jesus.