Animal Information Thread + Poll (A17 Updated)

Started by LouisTBR, September 01, 2015, 12:01:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Favourite Animal? State Reasons below after voting please!

Alpaca
Alphabeaver
Boar
Boomalope
Boomrat
Capybara
Chicken
Chinchilla
Cobra
Cow
Deer
Dromedary (Camel)
Elephant
Elk
Hare
Husky
Iguana
Labrador
Megascarab
Monkey
Muffalo
Pig
Squirrel
Thrumbo
Tortoise
Warg
Yorkshire Terrier
Cassowary
Emu
Gazelle
Ibex
Megasloth
Ostrich
Snowhare
Turkey
Megaspider
Spelopede
Raccoon
Rat
Arctic Fox
Arctic Wolf
Cat
Cougar
Fennec Fox
Lynx
Panther
Red Fox
Timberwolf
Grizzly Bear

GOForce3

One thing that should be included in the game is a mood modification for each tamed animal.  For instance, the Yorkshire Terrier, while being useless for battle, meat and training, could boost the mood of the other colonists.  And it can only be trained in obedience, and if it is, whenever it's with its owner, the owner would get a big mood boost.  On the flip-side, the cobra or warg would bring a negative mood debuff for the other colonists.  Those things would be scary to be around.  You'll have to keep them away from the general population.  The other animals would have varying effects on mood.  Like a cow or chicken wouldn't affect mood at all.

This would add a whole new dimension to the pet system.  Make them useful for more than just attacking, meat and wool/leather.

TLHeart

Quote from: GOForce3 on November 09, 2015, 04:12:05 PM
One thing that should be included in the game is a mood modification for each tamed animal.  For instance, the Yorkshire Terrier, while being useless for battle, meat and training, could boost the mood of the other colonists.  And it can only be trained in obedience, and if it is, whenever it's with its owner, the owner would get a big mood boost.  On the flip-side, the cobra or warg would bring a negative mood debuff for the other colonists.  Those things would be scary to be around.  You'll have to keep them away from the general population.  The other animals would have varying effects on mood.  Like a cow or chicken wouldn't affect mood at all.

This would add a whole new dimension to the pet system.  Make them useful for more than just attacking, meat and wool/leather.

The mood buff was supposed to be in the game already, called nuzzled by an animal... but that is currently broken.

LouisTBR

Yeah, the mood feature is something that seriously needs to be implemented. Another clever thing would be that different colonists have preferences, which would show in their traits... like 'Reptile lover' would get 30% better happiness from a tortoise, whereas a 'Dog hater' would get a 30% mood loss from a terrier...
Only in RimWorld is the phrase "31 Heavily-Armed Siegers are currently bombing your base" preferable to "50 manhunting squirrels are attacking your colony"

Limdood

I'd rather not see such specific traits implemented.  Traits are random enough as it is.  It seems a good quarter of the threads in the suggestions forum come with an idea of "and we could make a trait to go along with this to do X" when the traits list is already pretty full.

There's a good chance that animals will nuzzle anyone around....would you want one "dog hater" to make to cause trouble for your whole settlement (like 1 abrasive person for example).  The "hater" traits would basically just be extra versions of the "depressive" trait if it hit on a common enough animal.

Just let animals nuzzle.  If you really want to get into specifics, make some animals nuzzle more often, some less, and some not at all (cuddly cobras/megascarabs?)  That way bunnies and terriers could serve vital mood boosts.  But the idea of ANY sort of negative for pets (beyond what already exists with feeding, inoperable injuries, mess, and fragility) is rather ridiculous.  Wargs, cobras, rhinos, and the other "combat oriented" pets are already questionable whether or not they're worth it at all.  They don't need drawbacks ADDED.

LouisTBR

Quote from: Limdood on November 10, 2015, 12:41:01 PM
I'd rather not see such specific traits implemented.  Traits are random enough as it is.  It seems a good quarter of the threads in the suggestions forum come with an idea of "and we could make a trait to go along with this to do X" when the traits list is already pretty full.

There's a good chance that animals will nuzzle anyone around....would you want one "dog hater" to make to cause trouble for your whole settlement (like 1 abrasive person for example).  The "hater" traits would basically just be extra versions of the "depressive" trait if it hit on a common enough animal.

Just let animals nuzzle.  If you really want to get into specifics, make some animals nuzzle more often, some less, and some not at all (cuddly cobras/megascarabs?)  That way bunnies and terriers could serve vital mood boosts.  But the idea of ANY sort of negative for pets (beyond what already exists with feeding, inoperable injuries, mess, and fragility) is rather ridiculous.  Wargs, cobras, rhinos, and the other "combat oriented" pets are already questionable whether or not they're worth it at all.  They don't need drawbacks ADDED.
Ok, I respect your thinking... personally I have never seen one of those threads, let alone a quarter of the whole suggestions thread  ;)

As for the hater, maybe only have 'Love' traits... would make sense...
Only in RimWorld is the phrase "31 Heavily-Armed Siegers are currently bombing your base" preferable to "50 manhunting squirrels are attacking your colony"

Komyets

Cobras all the way >=D

MeowRailroad

Quote from: Tynan on December 02, 2016, 05:24:06 PM
This is like being in a remote fishing town in Libera and asking, "Why can't I just pay one of the fishermen $10 to take me back to Los Angeles?"

giannikampa

I made a poll on animals then saw this topic. Sorry for unintended redundancy.

Quote from: Limdood on November 10, 2015, 12:41:01 PM

... when the traits list is already pretty full...

I don't agree at all on this. adding more and more traits in the pool of possibilities would only give a less repetitive gameplay. Somewhere else I suggested to not restrict traits to max 2 per pawn. There you will have your unique colonist at any new game.
And as always.. sorry for my bad english

LouisTBR

Toggle

Quote from: Komyets on November 28, 2015, 05:54:43 PM
Cobras all the way >=D

Can I just say... Please, please stop making everything you say orange.
Selling broken colonist souls for two thousand gold. Accepting cash or credit.

Komyets

Quote from: Z0MBIE2 on November 29, 2015, 03:23:49 PM
Cobras all the way >=D

Yes you can say that... but no... not really, I can't. Its a knack I have for forum texting, I like to put color on things so... nope... no plain, colorless text comming from me any time soon.

Edit: Please don't burn people's eyes out. -MK

Toggle

Quote from: Komyets on December 01, 2015, 09:04:18 PM
Quote from: Z0MBIE2 on November 29, 2015, 03:23:49 PM
Cobras all the way >=D

Yes you can say that... but no... not really, I can't. Its a knack I have for forum texting, I like to put color on things so... nope... no plain, colorless text comming from me any time soon.

My eyes are bleeding. Use another colour that isn't as bright then, please... Teal works fine.
Selling broken colonist souls for two thousand gold. Accepting cash or credit.

LittleGreenStone

Quote from: Jimyoda on September 02, 2015, 11:45:54 AM
You can find a table here:
http://rimworldwiki.com/wiki/Animals
And it's sortable! I'm welcome to feedback about it. I want more info in the table but I'm afraid to make it any wider lest it run off the screen.
I did not write the lead paragraph though. It sorely needs some massaging.

Below it I will add another table for animals that provide milk, wool, and/or eggs.

I'll also greatly expand the page with sections for talking about taming, training, naming, breeding, life stages, health, needs, and trading.
Remember, *anyone* can contribute to the wiki but there doesn't seem to be many people that do, just some minor corrections here and there, which is still great.

Not sure if it was mentioned yet (haven't read through all the comments yet), but I'd love a "average number of offspring(s) / month (or year).

LittleGreenStone

Quote from: b0rsuk on September 04, 2015, 12:16:35 PM
Pigs are surprisingly good! They breed fast, the are quite easy to train. They haul very well. The downside, they're a bit vulnerable to cold. -15*C bothers them.
Wild boars have -20*C tolerance, but are much harder to train and haul only about 53. The cheapass option.

I had several pigs, labradors and two huskies in my colony. Half of labradors joined in an event, the rest was bought. I had HAULING TRAINS with no effort! Snow or no snow, deconstructed mortars, remote cargo drops, remote mining sites, they did practically all hauling for me.

Investing in hauling dogs REALLY pays off in the long run.

I found boars to be the best pets, at least for me.

They are as fast as Wargs (5),
they are cheap as hell (a downside if you're trying to sell them),
they don't eat much,
they live for 12 years (like everyone's favorite, the huskies)
they mature fast (half a year or so)
they breed (relatively) fast,
they are omnivores,
their damage is 9, about 1-2 less than Wargs',
they can stand cold relatively well,
they can be trained to haul/rescue,
they yield only 10 less meat than pigs.

Downsides? Not really efficient keeping them for food, they are as hard to train as wargs, and they can't haul full stacks.

Still, they're the jack of all trades, good at everything, best at nothing. Pretty damn useful, to my experience.
Before downloading combat realism, I released about 30 of them, only a few died, a couple were healed, and they killed nearly 20 attackers. I butchered the dead, got meat, in a month I had 35+.

Though I do not understand why boars would yield less meat (63) than huskies (90)...

LouisTBR

Well, boars are a pretty good pet if you have the capability of feeding them. Although their stats are normal, I have noticed that my colonists tend to be feeding them more than other animals. Also, the baby boars are quite annoying, as they are useless for about a year, before becoming a little bit less useless for another year. That's 2 years of feeding, keeping safe (Possible Colonist Loss) and taking up space before they actually become useful. I would definitely choose the husky over the boar.