Animal Information Thread + Poll (A17 Updated)

Started by LouisTBR, September 01, 2015, 12:01:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Favourite Animal? State Reasons below after voting please!

Alpaca
Alphabeaver
Boar
Boomalope
Boomrat
Capybara
Chicken
Chinchilla
Cobra
Cow
Deer
Dromedary (Camel)
Elephant
Elk
Hare
Husky
Iguana
Labrador
Megascarab
Monkey
Muffalo
Pig
Squirrel
Thrumbo
Tortoise
Warg
Yorkshire Terrier
Cassowary
Emu
Gazelle
Ibex
Megasloth
Ostrich
Snowhare
Turkey
Megaspider
Spelopede
Raccoon
Rat
Arctic Fox
Arctic Wolf
Cat
Cougar
Fennec Fox
Lynx
Panther
Red Fox
Timberwolf
Grizzly Bear

someonesneaky

Cats aren't in the poll! :<

Though I have no valid reason other than 'I love cats'. Fun fact: When I was watching someone play RimWorld to see if I'd be interested, I kept hearing their colonist's pet cat meow. That sealed it for me.

As for the pet lists: I found this thread by accident when googling 'are megatherium worth taming', so I'm not sure if I'll be much help. I've had a tribe trader bring Capybaras for trade (I hadn't gotten to the point where I can receive trade ships yet), and I had Chinchillas spawn wild on a jungle map.

I'm not entirely sure how to go about getting all the info you need, but if it helps, I lucked out and got a breeding pair of arctic foxes from a trader. They've had three litters so far, each one with two pups, so that might be the standard. Sadly, though, I didn't think to keep track of the gestation period. :<

----------

ETA: So, just had my fourth litter of arctic fox pups. So far, I've had three two-pup litters, and one three-pup litter. According to the wiki, their litters are 1-3 pups, so either I've been lucky, or multi-pup litters are more common than singles.

Probably not the most useful of critters -- they're fairly tiny compared to other hauling animals, but damn are they adorable. Plus, apparently they reach full maturity fairly quickly, and though they can't haul very heavy things, they're kinda useful when it comes to harvesting farms.

----------

ETA2: Nine litters, and I finally got my first single pup. That makes six 2, two 3, and one 1.

----------

ETA3: And as soon as I hit save, I get two more litters of two pups each.

Wex

It's the cow.
The quantity of milk produced is unmached by any other animal.
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
    Harlan Ellison

deliveryservice

For a farm;
Place a stockpile in animal area, 2x1 or 2x2 blocks, and set it to store particular animal at important priority. This will help feeding them in large population.

Chicken are worth Taming, and breed faster than any animals there is, they also need fewer nutrition (vegetarian) intake to stay nourished. I had two pairs once and a year later almost 150 hen and rooster. selectively slaughtered the rooster, in the process.

Wildboar are the second fast to breed animal, but they eat lot, hence needing much nutrition (vegetarian, meat), simply make them a simple meal to preserve food bin.

Best animal to train by now are Golden Retriever, they breed nicely, nice melee, can be trained to haul, and rescue.

Aleksh

Heya. I'll do these if no one took them:

Lynx - No-one Currently
Megatherium - No-one Currently
Red Fox - No-one Currently
Panther - No-one Currently

Hope that's fine with you!  :D

EDIT - I've actually completed them all, I just need to know where to put it!
Ya'll keep mentioning mods whenever a suggestion is brought up. Come on, lads! Take that to the "mod nomination" thread!

Aleksh

I would do the rest as well, but I want others to  make some themselves. It would seem rude.
Ya'll keep mentioning mods whenever a suggestion is brought up. Come on, lads! Take that to the "mod nomination" thread!

LouisTBR

Only in RimWorld is the phrase "31 Heavily-Armed Siegers are currently bombing your base" preferable to "50 manhunting squirrels are attacking your colony"

LouisTBR

Finally rejigged and updated!
As of 19th October 2017 the Animal Information Thread is updated - Alpha 17.
Only in RimWorld is the phrase "31 Heavily-Armed Siegers are currently bombing your base" preferable to "50 manhunting squirrels are attacking your colony"

Bozobub

Thanks, belgord!

Mutineer

Are not Megasloth produce wool? I never see it, but it is in a menu I believe.
Any information how much and how often they produce?

kubolek01

Lack info? Open devmode and check in tables!
PS:I got a Thrumbo by bonding twice, and they are great to anything, so I voted them.
Eat lead, walking pile of silver! (greedy Player)
I...I can't do it. Leave it alive, please!(inner soul)
It lives 200 years to end up as a jacket?!(realists mind)
If I would go to vacation in off-Earth, even fictional place, I'd choose Nibel.

LouisTBR

Quote from: Mutineer on October 20, 2017, 04:15:54 AM
Are not Megasloth produce wool? I never see it, but it is in a menu I believe.
Any information how much and how often they produce?
Added. Thank you!

LouisTBR

POLL:
Updated with A17 Animals. Votes reset to 0 - All 361 Previous Votes removed (Sorry, had to be done to make the vote fair :) )

Bozobub

Thanks, belgord!

Rearden

Huskies are a familiar animal. It's easy to imagine a husky getting into trouble with the drug supply, or jumping into something it's not supposed to just for the hell of it. Sometimes they're too smart for their own good. one of my favourite trainable animals in rimworld

LouisTBR

Quote from: canth1000 on October 20, 2017, 12:12:57 PM
Huskies are a familiar animal. It's easy to imagine a husky getting into trouble with the drug supply, or jumping into something it's not supposed to just for the hell of it. Sometimes they're too smart for their own good. one of my favourite trainable animals in rimworld
Agreed. They are no doubt one of the best possible animals to have, as they have a great mental capacity and can be taught to do their jobs fast. They are also very versatile, as their attack is a good asset to have in your team.