[Overhaul Idea] Playing on the Ship.

Started by Girlinhat, September 14, 2015, 05:01:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Girlinhat

So had this idea, and been talking about it a bit with the Bay12 forums.  Basically, instead of crashing on the planet, you instead play aboard the ship without crashing.  Instead of generating soil and mountains, mapgen would create steel floor and metal rooms.  'Space' would be a black/starfield tile with -5,000 temperature, and then add in spacesuits that would give -2,500 temperature each for the suit and helmet, but with significant movement penalty.  Combat and Maintenance suit types could exist.  Glittertech skinsuits could work the same but give no movement penalty.  To avoid having them be too common, a new 'race' of human could be made with the right temperature range and said to be wearing the skinsuit.  Butchering one of these glittertech spacers could provide meat, human leather, and scraps of skinsuit material.

The 'world map' could be the ship, with biomes being things like 'engine' and 'cargo' and 'cryo' and such.  These could all have separate events to them, like being in the Engine gives you access to the powerful drive engines that give huge energy at map gen, for free, but you suffer radiation in areas, heavier radiation pulses, temperature fluctuations, psychic waves, and raiders trying to take the area for themselves to get the power source.  Cargo, on the other hand, might have tighter hallways and certain rooms could shift with events similar to the 'crashed ship' mod that drops solid cargo pods and later removes them at random, so you get tighter defensive corridors and easier resources, but suffer more from space events (solar flares, meteors, etc) and get random energy shutdowns when things happen off-map at the engine area.

The -5,000 temperature would bleed through the walls, causing rooms to become very cold, but the interior rooms could have power + heat structures at mapgen, keeping the interior of the ship warm and the rooms closer to the hull becoming progressively colder, so further out you'd need more heat generation or wintery gear.

Map should probably be a bit larger, but without as many plants and animals sucking up CPU it should run fine I think.

Adamiks

It's rather idea for the new game than mod, but idea is idea so i don't have anything to complain about, i guess ;d

Girlinhat

It'd be an overhaul, but could be done with the Rimworld game engine easier than making a whole new game.

(2*b)||!(2*b) - That is the question.
There are 10 kinds of people in this world - those that understand binary and those that don't.

Powered By

Adamiks

But it's 3D (not that type of the game, system requirements etc) and there is no enemies (i think).

BBream

I think this idea is related to this unfinished mod.
(WIP) More Spaceship Stuff - https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=12038.0

And Rimworld can be made FTL game. Adventure with your own spaceship will be very exciting.

Toggle

The whole rimworld lore is based off the fact there's no FTL travel though, which would mean you'd probably get very little contact for years in space travel.

As for the mod idea... What? The space ship would have to be massive to be anywhere near a base plates size, and then 90% of the content is gone because you're just... surviving flying in space on a incredibly large ship? Like how would the 'engine' room be an entire biome with it's own events and gameplay...
Selling broken colonist souls for two thousand gold. Accepting cash or credit.

BBream

Quote from: Z0MBIE2 on September 15, 2015, 12:08:58 AM
The whole rimworld lore is based off the fact there's no FTL travel though, which would mean you'd probably get very little contact for years in space travel.

As for the mod idea... What? The space ship would have to be massive to be anywhere near a base plates size, and then 90% of the content is gone because you're just... surviving flying in space on a incredibly large ship? Like how would the 'engine' room be an entire biome with it's own events and gameplay...

I know FTL travel is not in Rimworld but I imagine this FTL game if idea is implemented. And little contact... I think you were crew of rimworld space-ship and I believe you.  ;D

And you are right. Just playing on the ship in entire game will make meaningless why rimworld play. But it can be added in game intro, ending or continuing game play. When I saw the game ending after making expensive space-ship, I was disappointed. Screen become white, credit showed and I returned game without ship. After that, I have never made space-ship.

So I want to add other contents related to space-ship; Game-intro, Revenge-match against a ship attacked my colonist(Or just engage), Vehicle for transporting and while transporting it engaged other ship.

I'm afraid modder can implement this huge mod but I think it is still good idea.

akiceabear

I'd rather the on the ground experience be deepened, and leave the ship rogue-like elements to FTL.

I would like a better outro after a game ends - a nice summary of the major developments in the colony, which are already stored and used for art. Issue is how to do so gracefully.

Girlinhat

You already get a trade ship passing by every week, and mechanoids and raiders coming in drop pods every 2 days.  Space is THICK with traveling ships, even if they're traveling slowly, there's a lot of them.

And the idea was that you're surviving on the ship but you don't have control of it.  The cryo pods opened, but you're not command staff and you can't tell the ship what to do, but the real command staff is still asleep, so you're left just staying alive onboard.

And the ship is massive.  Like an 8 mile long behemoth interstellar vessel.  Gameplay would occur in one section of the ship, with tons of other parts of the ship being off-screen.  If you're in Section 3A of Cargo, you might get raiding pirates from Section 2 Medical, who are a radical cult of spacefaring barbarians hopped up on stimulants who have survived 12 generations in the depths of the ship while it's been drifting through space.

The ship itself is HUGE, and you're not crew, you're passengers, just survivors along for the ride.

Toggle

Girlin though, so basically like how the game currently is, just a different theme... Wouldn't really work the best.

And for end game... Achievements. Akicebear said it, display all the info, and then award achievements say for completing specific things. Like extreme randy random, surviving 2 toxic fallouts, not letting anyone die on extreme, yeah.
Selling broken colonist souls for two thousand gold. Accepting cash or credit.

JimmyAgnt007

What about setting it on a space station instead.  Somewhere where a lot of traffic intersects with it.  Maybe a waypoint between the core worlds and the Rimworlds.  Some ships going out to explore while others are coming back after being stranded. 

forsaken1111

It would take a lot of work but its possible in theory. You'd need some kind of atmospheric pressure tracking similar to the zone system that tracks temperature, you'd need new events, you'd need to model the effects of exposure to vacuum in the wound system...

Girlinhat

Quote from: forsaken1111 on September 15, 2015, 02:35:45 PM
It would take a lot of work but its possible in theory. You'd need some kind of atmospheric pressure tracking similar to the zone system that tracks temperature, you'd need new events, you'd need to model the effects of exposure to vacuum in the wound system...
I think the extreme cold would work well for that.  It's not perfect, but rooms that are opened become unbearably cold because they're exposed to the outside, and they suffer quickly progressing frostbite from it.

forsaken1111

It might work. Layering some heavy cold weather gear might allow the crew to build heating elements in newly opened rooms to get them to a usable temperature.