[A12] TheGentlePack (UOP REBOOTED)

Started by TheGentlmen, September 30, 2015, 10:03:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheGentlmen

Quote from: Sinza on October 28, 2015, 09:25:53 AM
Hey GENT,

great to see you working on this Project.
I'm really curious to see what you're mixing together ;).

Greetings from Germany
Quote from: Ekko on October 28, 2015, 06:06:13 PM
Love it! Thank you and please keep working on it :)
Quote from: illmatix on October 27, 2015, 03:47:50 PM
Hell yeah! Can't wait for this.

Ty.

On a thurver note, 1.1 is out.

Install instructions and stuff:

GentzPack Modpack. V1.1 A12

Install: Extract everything under 'Mods/'. Download and install the latest CCL user release. Run 'SetModConfig.bat'. HUZZA!

Versioning System: VX.Y A(Z)

X= Major, even meens stable build, odd meens dev build Y= Minor, Minor/hotfixes Z= Alpha, every new alpha X and Z reset to 0

Wild Card

Hello mr Gent
Just curious , are you planning on adding Shizny`s mods to the pack, like Aparello, and the faction packs ?

TheGentlmen

Quote from: Wild Card on November 01, 2015, 05:13:35 PM
Hello mr Gent
Just curious , are you planning on adding Shizny`s mods to the pack, like Aparello, and the faction packs ?
Project Armory and Apparelo is no. They cuase too much lag when spawning pawns.

Faction probably.

WinterFlare

Been awhile since I've been here, kinda took a break after the all of Nine's stuff disappeared and I decided to google Ultimate Overhaul (Finding this.)

Its nice to know Project Armory and Apparelo are getting the axe, as they added way too much clutter and lag to the pack. As a note to this, are you planning on adding any weapon mods to mitigate the removal of PA? I know there were several different weapon packs in UOM, but I can't remember all of them.

Also, forgive me for not reading through everything, but are you going to do a similar sourcing style to what ninefinger did? IE: Listing all mods and providing links to said mods on one of the original postings / reserved spots? It was really nice to have them all in one location to look through.

As for the research tree, the only suggestion I had to it when Nine was still working on it was that the researches for certain things should be spread out more. The only one I can think of right now in particular is storage. IE: All storage research was locked behind Construction 4, when it would have made much more sense for the research to be staggered. I made a similar suggestion for medicine but can't remember my formatting for it aside from fixing some of the prosthetic stuff. Example Below.

Construction 2 = Storage 1
Construction 2 + Storage 1 = Storage 2
ect.

EDIT:
Oh wow, I only have this post because all of the ones I made on the old page were removed, I look like a newcomer now lol.

TheGentlmen

Quote from: WinterFlare on November 01, 2015, 09:07:07 PM
Been awhile since I've been here, kinda took a break after the all of Nine's stuff disappeared and I decided to google Ultimate Overhaul (Finding this.)
Ooo... googles leads to me? Cool...

Its nice to know Project Armory and Apparelo are getting the axe, as they added way too much clutter and lag to the pack. As a note to this, are you planning on adding any weapon mods to mitigate the removal of PA? I know there were several different weapon packs in UOM, but I can't remember all of them.
I'll be getting something like Rimsenal or Rimfire. Not something major, or huge. Currently leeing to getting Rimsenal then getting NIA to patch it for me... he did offer a patch for PA, so I'm sure he will do a patch for something smaller. Anyways, not now, but soon (TM).

Also, forgive me for not reading through everything, but are you going to do a similar sourcing style to what ninefinger did? IE: Listing all mods and providing links to said mods on one of the original postings / reserved spots? It was really nice to have them all in one location to look through.
Yes, but on stable release (V2.0 A12). Soon(TM)

As for the research tree, the only suggestion I had to it when Nine was still working on it was that the researches for certain things should be spread out more. The only one I can think of right now in particular is storage. IE: All storage research was locked behind Construction 4, when it would have made much more sense for the research to be staggered. I made a similar suggestion for medicine but can't remember my formatting for it aside from fixing some of the prosthetic stuff. Example Below.

Construction 2 = Storage 1
Construction 2 + Storage 1 = Storage 2
ect.
I don't plan to have generic things like 'Consturction 1', but instead small researches for each building, forming a web (So you could go to things throu multiple paths to get something, kinda like whatz in the latest CIV.) Then have each research have minor researches going off of em (Like for example a powered smelter only smelt steal bars unwell you unlock the minor research 'Plaster smelting' or something.).

EDIT:
Oh wow, I only have this post because all of the ones I made on the old page were removed, I look like a newcomer now lol.
Heh... lol.

Nanao-kun

Quote from: TheGentlmen (GENTZ /'jen(t)z/) on November 01, 2015, 05:41:04 PM
Quote from: Wild Card on November 01, 2015, 05:13:35 PM
Hello mr Gent
Project Armory and Apparelo is no. They cuase too much lag when spawning pawns.
Oooh, so that's why raids always froze the game for a few seconds in UOP.

WinterFlare

My main problem with the pack was Nine introducing too many crafting gates instead of sticking to raw materials. Basically all of the guns in the game were changed to a new system that required loads of crafting instead of using raw materials, and he was going to extend it to everything else when crafting already took way too much time.

His system went like this:
Steel Ore > Steel Bar
Copper Ore > Copper Bar > Copper Wire
Steel Bar + Copper Wire > Gun Parts
Gun Parts > Gun of Choice.

Copper Wire was also introduced to most electronic, lighting, and power systems, which with the limited early game storage options (and PA/ Apperalo filling every storage cell) made base creation difficult, considering it was a non-high stack item. (75 instead of 250-500)

Basically as I understand it, he was steering it towards Hardcore SK where crafting takes forever instead of focusing on bug fixes and compatibility issues.

My question with this, is that once you fix the research tree, are you going to revert this change, or keep it. My issue wasn't as much with the Copper being introduced as much as it was the guns being increasingly difficult to craft (along with primitive weapons needing to be researched before you could get ahold of them), which made zero sense to me. I also found that bludgeoning people to death with sticks/logs was more effective than crafting clubs / shivs / anything from the primitive table.

TL:DR, Are you going to tone down the focus on crafting, and as a side note, will being able to craft primitive weapons IE: Bows, arrows, and clubs, be easier?

TheGentlmen

Quote from: WinterFlare on November 05, 2015, 07:38:43 PM
My main problem with the pack was Nine introducing too many crafting gates instead of sticking to raw materials. Basically all of the guns in the game were changed to a new system that required loads of crafting instead of using raw materials, and he was going to extend it to everything else when crafting already took way too much time.

His system went like this:
Steel Ore > Steel Bar
Copper Ore > Copper Bar > Copper Wire
Steel Bar + Copper Wire > Gun Parts
Gun Parts > Gun of Choice.

Copper Wire was also introduced to most electronic, lighting, and power systems, which with the limited early game storage options (and PA/ Apperalo filling every storage cell) made base creation difficult, considering it was a non-high stack item. (75 instead of 250-500)

Basically as I understand it, he was steering it towards Hardcore SK where crafting takes forever instead of focusing on bug fixes and compatibility issues.

My question with this, is that once you fix the research tree, are you going to revert this change, or keep it. My issue wasn't as much with the Copper being introduced as much as it was the guns being increasingly difficult to craft (along with primitive weapons needing to be researched before you could get ahold of them), which made zero sense to me. I also found that bludgeoning people to death with sticks/logs was more effective than crafting clubs / shivs / anything from the primitive table.

TL:DR, Are you going to tone down the focus on crafting, and as a side note, will being able to craft primitive weapons IE: Bows, arrows, and clubs, be easier?
I'll change steel to generic metal then do this:
Metal Ore > Metal Bar
Oil > Plastic + Synth Fibre
Metal Bar + Synth Fibre > High Grade Metal Alloy (HGMA)
Metal Bar + Plastic > Low Grade Plassteal (LGP)
LGP + HGMA > Plassteel.

A.k.a a total of 7 resources, should be manageable, and certainly toned down relative too HCSK. If it becomes to hard, I'll tone it down some more, only time will tell...

As for primitive weapons, they'll be made around a fireplace, with your grass/mud wallz and hunting grounds... basically I plan to make you as primitive as ze tribalz  ;D

Edit: Lets not think too far ahead, I still got many things to do... like getting weapons to work with CR...

PS: I'm lookin' at you, NIA... soon you'll have a list of weapons/turrets to make compatible..

WinterFlare

The biggest thing with it was probably storage and the crafting time / ratios at which things were crafted, you'd have people working around the clock cutting clothing into textile strips, or you would have them making batches of 10 materials at a time when they could easily double that and not have to run around your base as much to drop it off over and over again.

IE: They would make 20 steel and 20 copper into 10 gun parts or something.

I'm just voicing my concerns as how the pack handled before so it doesn't get ridiculous this time around. It seems like it was made in mind for colonies that had no problems with defence and 10-20 people managing it, but I tended to keep my colonies small, and I'd rarely have turrets running.

Nanao-kun

For version 1.1, the Turret Collection is included, but has no spot on the modconfig. Is it not supposed to be used? Also, are the CCL Vanilla Tweaks unnecessary?

TheGentlmen

Quote from: WinterFlare on November 05, 2015, 10:11:25 PM
The biggest thing with it was probably storage and the crafting time / ratios at which things were crafted, you'd have people working around the clock cutting clothing into textile strips, or you would have them making batches of 10 materials at a time when they could easily double that and not have to run around your base as much to drop it off over and over again.

IE: They would make 20 steel and 20 copper into 10 gun parts or something.

I'm just voicing my concerns as how the pack handled before so it doesn't get ridiculous this time around. It seems like it was made in mind for colonies that had no problems with defence and 10-20 people managing it, but I tended to keep my colonies small, and I'd rarely have turrets running.

Hehehe... You guys gonna have REAL trouble with defence by V6 at the late-ist...

Quote from: Nanao-kun on November 05, 2015, 11:04:40 PM
For version 1.1, the Turret Collection is included, but has no spot on the modconfig. Is it not supposed to be used?
Yes, their not sopoused to be active... you could activate it, but it doesn't use the CR bullets and stuff...

Also, are the CCL Vanilla Tweaks unnecessary?
Nay. You shouldn't have em'

Edit: Speeking of CR, could anyone go thou all the weapons and see which ones don't use CR? It would save me a stupendous amount of time...

Alistaire

Quote from: TheGentlmen (GENTZ /'jen(t)z/) on November 05, 2015, 11:45:39 PM
For version 1.1, the Turret Collection is included, but has no spot on the modconfig. Is it not supposed to be used?
Yes, their not sopoused to be active... you could activate it, but it doesn't use the CR bullets and stuff...

Edit: Speeking of CR, could anyone go thou all the weapons and see which ones don't use CR? It would save me a stupendous amount of time...

It's easy to see which thingDefs don't use CombatRealism (CR) classes since the large amounts of text added through the comps CR requires are easily spotted in the text file. Turret Collection (TC) could be made into a CR mod by mimicking CR Defense which adds turrets of its own - granted I don't know whether TC uses custom ThingClasses and such.

TheGentlmen

Quote from: Alistaire on November 06, 2015, 03:42:26 AM
Quote from: TheGentlmen (GENTZ /'jen(t)z/) on November 05, 2015, 11:45:39 PM

It's easy to see which thingDefs don't use CombatRealism (CR) classes since the large amounts of text added through the comps CR requires are easily spotted in the text file. Turret Collection (TC) could be made into a CR mod by mimicking CR Defense which adds turrets of its own - granted I don't know whether TC uses custom ThingClasses and such.
I'll see when I'm done with wallz... which should be today or tommorow.

deadlydullahan

what are the differences between this modpack and the modvarietypack? the content for both seemed vaguely described so just want to know what content there is between these :P

Edit: I know both are being worked on and having more added over time, just curious to know which to go with for the time being :)

TheGentlmen

Quote from: deadlydullahan on November 09, 2015, 10:20:45 PM
what are the differences between this modpack and the modvarietypack?
This modpack is mine, the other one belongs to Simon...  ;)

The content for both seemed vaguely described so just want to know what content there is between these :P
This is a bunch of mods I like crammed together with no care for balance... then I'm grabbing rolls of ducktape and spending 2+ weeks on just wallz...

Top notch prioritization...  :P

Edit: I know both are being worked on and having more added over time, just curious to know which to go with for the time being :)
Run both... it will be !FUN!...

Df fun... but instead my bugs kill ya...  ;D

Seriously tho... MINES BETTER.... why? Cuase it has mah name on it...  8)

K... mabey not... just try both, see what ya enjoy... report a few bugs... make me proud...