[A13] EnviroSeed SK v1.1d [5/7/2016]

Started by dismar, October 05, 2015, 11:44:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dismar

Seeds ver 1.1b :
So I've added a seeds workbench. No research.

-You can make Potato seeds from any plant you have in your game.
-You can craft from those seeds (or any other seeds you have) into different seeds.

It's a fast dirty fix for you. I hope to have something more complete later on.

Mythos

Hello,

is there a chance to make this mod work with EdB's Prepare Carefully?
Every time I create a new game, the selected stuff like weapons, animals, etc. gets overwritten and I start out with the knife, pistol, potatoes, and a pack of seeds.

Regards,
Mythos

dismar

Quote from: Mythos on April 24, 2016, 08:01:16 AM
Hello,

is there a chance to make this mod work with EdB's Prepare Carefully?
Every time I create a new game, the selected stuff like weapons, animals, etc. gets overwritten and I start out with the knife, pistol, potatoes, and a pack of seeds.

Regards,
Mythos

EdB must have changed something in the way PC pulls the map generator def. So if your using Prepare Carefully please go into the Defs folder of seeds and delete the "MapGeneratorDefs" folder from the mod. Then make sure to get some seeds in PC or you will not start with any!

bluestrike15

Hey I was wondering if there could be a addition to include a separate download that has T's extended crops?

dismar

Quote from: bluestrike15 on April 27, 2016, 01:19:59 AM
Hey I was wondering if there could be a addition to include a separate download that has T's extended crops?
yes, i'll have it ready this weekend :)

LetheNyx

My colonists aren't using the seed genetics tables even when I have them doing literally nothing else.

I should add that I'm using Vegetable Garden and the Prepare Carefully edition but since it was directly related to the seeds I figured I'd post here.

dismar

Quote from: LetheNyx on April 29, 2016, 09:55:53 PM
My colonists aren't using the seed genetics tables even when I have them doing literally nothing else.

I should add that I'm using Vegetable Garden and the Prepare Carefully edition but since it was directly related to the seeds I figured I'd post here.

Either place is fine with the seeds.
I found the issue and will post an update on saturday.
Thanks!

dismar

I've updated all the seeds mods now with a working plants table.

RagingLoony

whenever i use this and your veg garden mod i get the incompatibility error. using prepare carefully and the PC versions of the mods, and the patch to make them work. have tried every possible combination in the load order yet get the error every time. attaching the ouput log file to this.

[attachment deleted by admin - too old]

dismar

Quote from: RagingLoony on May 05, 2016, 06:38:42 PM
whenever i use this and your veg garden mod i get the incompatibility error. using prepare carefully and the PC versions of the mods, and the patch to make them work. have tried every possible combination in the load order yet get the error every time. attaching the ouput log file to this.

Well your not supposed to use this mod with any version of the garden. If you want seeds in the garden load the garden then the Seeds add on.

RagingLoony

I apologize, I feel very stupid. I thought the addon only enabled seeds for the garden stuff, and that you'd still need enviroseeds for all the vanilla crops and such.

dismar

Quote from: dismar on April 28, 2016, 12:12:14 AM
Quote from: bluestrike15 on April 27, 2016, 01:19:59 AM
yes, i'll have it ready this weekend :)
Well this weekend :) Code is almost done.

Quote from: RagingLoony on May 05, 2016, 07:31:22 PM
I apologize, I feel very stupid. I thought the addon only enabled seeds for the garden stuff, and that you'd still need enviroseeds for all the vanilla crops and such.
Its all good!

wassname

Nice work dismar! This adds a new challenge, I like it so much that I registered to post some constructive feedback.

At the moment you can have whatever seeds you have as long as you have plants of some kind. You can't make potato seed from potatoes any better than you can make it from berries. So the challenge is to build up your stock of each seed, but not to acquire it. I suggest making them a challenge to aquire, and less of a challenge to set up. That way you can have plenty of apples but be struggling to get a cotton seed.

An alternative way to to do it is to make it a challenge to get each new seed. If you have potatoes you can easily convert them into potato seeds and be drowning in potato - if you don't eat your seed crops. Or if you have no potatoes then you can go the expensive route where you make one seed from 50 other plant materials or wait for a trader. IF you've played banished, this may seem familiar.

So what I'm suggesting is:
- add recipes where

• you can make each seed from 50% of their harvest

And make the plants=>seed recipies much more challenging via one of these

• 10x as expensive
  • requiring 1 uranium for mutation
  • have paths of advancement like in magical crops in minecraft with. cotton=>flax=>devilstrand )
[li][/li][/list]

Anyway, this is a great mod, thanks for making it. And I only offer suggestion because I like it so much, if they don't fit with your idea of the mod then feel free to ignore. Cheers

Famous Shoes

wassname's idea is a good one. The current approach is tough for a player to get their head around not so much because it feels unrealistic (hey it's a game) but because it seems to move Rimworld further from the rules of the world we understand--where, for example, the way to grow potatoes is to take other potatoes, cut them into a few pieces, and plant those. The impact on actual play is to make the player continuously dependent on trading as a prerequisite to planting, which doesn't feel to me like something I want to "mod into" the game.

So, I'd take wassname's idea a bit further and say, for example, 1 potato is always convertable to 2-5 potato "seeds" but random seed drops are off, corn seeds come several hundred to an ear *but* only from seed corn plants that take twice as long to become harvestable, etc.

dismar

Soooo i've been thinking all day about the last two posts. And I think I might come up with a harder version of the seeds mod. With some of the ideas that have been put forth.
- Plants would no longer pop out a seed when you harvest.
- You would have to craft or buy the seeds to plant.
- Maybe tiered crafting like :
Tier 1 : Seeds from same type of plant ( like say you get 8 per harvest, takes 4 to make a new seed)
Tier 2 : Research Being able to make seeds from other type of seeds.
Tier 3 : Research Being able to make seeds from other type of plants.

Research would be costly. And it would take a bit of resources to craft.

The above things I can code. After that it's kinda out of my league.
Thoughts?