Better performance

Started by NemesisN, December 09, 2015, 05:31:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NemesisN

this game requires more optimization in performance....still in Alpha 12 game gets laggy when you increase your colony....the game freezes for 1 second then unfreezes and does that each 2,3 seconds that pass...its really annoying

maybe add a option to turn off animations....for example when butchering blood animation turns off and all other crafting, when building or repairing with that repair torch animation, or chat bubbles, or snow falling down animation, ect....I don't know if that would increase the performance but its just a suggestion

I don't know what else but generally create a option in options to decrease something in quality to increase performance
Join the RimWorld fan community group on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1404635226524821/

zandadoum

i doubt it has anything to do with animations

the trouble comes from bad CPU perfomance. the game is only multithread in a few areas (so have i been told)

well, it should be 100% multithread and 64bit for optimal perfomance.

when my colony grows big, it becomes basically unplayable. it's not GPU lag, it's CPU lag and the funny thing is, the game freezes and my CPU is not even at 20% (all cores) and the GPU is around 5%

this becomes specially obvious when a raid lands or a manhunter pack comes (right now 300+ wargs)

a while ago i had the zombie apocalypse mod and there is where i noticed that this must be related to amount of objects on screen. not graphic wise, but the calculation of every object.
i had a crapload of dead zombies, loot and skeletons on a huge map. even with a relateive small colony it became unplayable until i got rid of all those -not animated- objects with the help of a lot of molotovs

NemesisN

its just bad that a low system requirement game laggs this bad on better PC's

this issue needs to be dealt with as a main objective for future alphas instead of going for new features and leaving this issue behind

if Raiders won't kill you in time or any other event in game then you will be forced to delete your good going world because of the frustration of lagg
Join the RimWorld fan community group on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1404635226524821/

zandadoum

Fluffy (l2032)

Keep in mind that mods can add a significant amount of stress, especially mods that aren't optimized particularly well (autoequip comes to mind).

mods that just add new items/things without custom interactions are generally ok, but mods that add new mechanics/interactions can be extremely ineficient if poorly designed. Your description of a lag every 2 seconds feels to me like a normal tick (once every 250 frames I believe) doing way too much work, and/or not being spread out over frames. E.g. all pawns/things try to get a list of all current objects (they should keep track of their own lists, and do a one-time pre-selection) at once (they should do it spread out over frames so you don't get huge stutters).

If you find your game grind to a halt, take a look at the amount of mods you have installed. That said, the game isn't really meant to go into dozens (or even hundreds in some extreme cases) of colonists - and it will eventually grind to a halt on its own.

NemesisN

I am talking about vanilla with no mods it laggs the same as having mods and I have 12 colonist not 100+

I also tried lowering jobs so each colonist does the minimum jobs creating too much idle colonist problem and work not getting done in time...but it still gets laggy even with job decease seems like its a little help but not very much of difference at all...maybe it has no difference hard to tell really

This problem is with vanilla not just mods, since early Alpha 2 till now....I don't understand why don't they fix this problem first instead of adding new features

Fluffy (l2032)

To be fair, I think it runs fairly well.

Certainly, things could be improved - multicore being the obvious elephant in the room, but contrary to what some people suggest, thats harder than it sounds, since you get all kinds of synchronizing issues when things happen at the same time.

Considering this is pretty much a one-man project, I personally would rather see more content. Optimization can come later. In the mean time, have you tried playing on smaller maps?

NemesisN

yes I played on smaller maps same thing happen when you go late in the game...I usually play on default or smaller maps

it does run very well at start to some point....until your colony becomes larger....this issue is a problem for people who are experienced at the game and usually last long building up a bigger colony

I don't agree with you on that optimization can come later....this is a big issue because this is the reason I delete my good colonies...because of lagg...as this game is going up with Alpha's its coming closer to final release....and game should be optimized to not create problems like this

this problem was from first Alpha releases till now...that is a long time....it limits me to be able to survive long with my colony and I think optimization should be the first thing to do here

Ganimedes

the 1 second lag every 2-5 seconds happened to me once, i had a colony of 60 or some colonist and a bunch of animals. but after some investigation i found one of my colonist stuck in a 1x1 hole in a wall. when i release him the problem went away. maybe you have a stuck colonist as well

zandadoum

Quote from: Ganimedes on December 11, 2015, 09:25:58 AM
the 1 second lag every 2-5 seconds happened to me once, i had a colony of 60 or some colonist and a bunch of animals. but after some investigation i found one of my colonist stuck in a 1x1 hole in a wall. when i release him the problem went away. maybe you have a stuck colonist as well
i had the same problem and solution once.

but the game could really use some better perfomance. and contrary to what people might think, in c# it's not so hard to recode from single thread to multithread. just needs a lot of manhours.

NemesisN

Quote from: Ganimedes on December 11, 2015, 09:25:58 AM

I don't have a stuck colonist...and I don't think that is the problem of lagg

TLHeart

But since rimworld is built with unity, multithreading is a major task.

As for the lag, late game, it is caused by more pawns, which includes all colonists, all animals on the map. The power grid calculations also help to cause the lag.

Another  cause of lag is the workgiver, and the 10 jobs in ten ticks error, which nemesisN is describing with the pause every few seconds.

zandadoum

Quote from: TLHeart on December 11, 2015, 06:50:41 PM
But since rimworld is built with unity, multithreading is a major task.
i might be wrong, but i read a long while ago that rimworld is coded with c# and using the unity engine. the engine does nothing and affects not the multithreading. single/multithreading depends on the coding language, not the engine.

Fluffy (l2032)

@nemesis; something similar can happen with animals that are stuck.
@zandadoum; you are correct in that it's coded in C# and uses Unity, but your conclusion is wrong. Large chunks of the core gameplay are implemented through Unity, as the whole point of Unity is to make coding a game easier by providing the 'scaffolding' for games. As to how easy it is to implement multi-core in Unity I can't say, but the fact that so many of these types of games are single core should already tell you that it's not as simple as changing a few settings around.

TwixFunSize

For me, past 25 colonists I can see a stutter on the screen every few seconds. very annoying.