Your Cheapest Ideas

Started by Tynan, October 09, 2013, 12:17:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kingtyris

Some of these may be repeats, but oh well, they must just be good ideas if so.

-Tranq gun. Short range, high chance of incapacitating target
-Tranq rifle. Tranq gun with longer range, but MUCH slower rate of fire.
-Metal doors/gates. Very strong, but slow to pass through and don't conduct.
-Raiders that target open supply dumps and make off with your resources
-Tools and equipable items that provide a buff to a related skill or skills, also increase the odds of the colonist prioritizing related tasks. So, a hammer would provide +1 to construction, and the colonist would choose to build structures more often, etc.
-Lightning rods. Expensive, but during thunderstorms lightening strikes will be biased toward occurring closer to the rods.
-Colonists prioritize their own vital needs over other tasks. No hauling supplies to a construction half way across the map when you are urgently hungry exhausted and nearing a mental break. Or rushing to repair a turret under a hail of fire from attacking mechanoids.
-When mining, deposits have a small random chance to drop silver instead of metal.
-Medipods. Unlock after researching cryopods. Work like medical beds with a much higher chance for speedy and complete recovery.
-Half sized solar cells. Good for tight areas with low energy needs.

Keymaster89

Just a program to dismantle weapons for metal (or scrap) and wood in the machining table...
If not possible, at least allow the crematorium burn them.
I have fields of weapons that i cannot sell fast enough...

Wudchuck

Animal pelts, dropped when the animal is butchered, to trade with the local tribes. Could later implement a tanning work bench to cure hides and craft leather goods, craft or artistic ability would determine quality/price of produced goods. Would function much like stripping clothes off corpses.

Sion

Traps for raiders, everything from bear traps to bottomless pitfalls.
some traps are activated by sensors or trip wires.

I'm also thinking about if it is possible to modify eg. a carpet, and have it behave like a hole in the ground, lets say 1 meter or so, then you could use this in some interesting ways, here is some of them:
1) use them as a trench that the colonists can hide in and shoot from.
2) if you connect a trench to some kind of lake you get a moat, that is hard to cross and will slow down everyone that tries.

3) if some kind of drawbridge is implemented that have some kind of trap hatchets in it, so raiders can fall through it, then it would be possible to trap raiders in a deeper hole, and then flood the hole by connecting it to a lake and drowning the raiders (lava would be even nicer, although you would loose all the loot), if the water then could be pumped out you could access the loot and corpses.

4) a moat could also be used near a farm to make the ground wet and fertile.
So many ideas... so little time...
Silence is the worst answer.

Lobotomy

Saveable Starting Colonist Groups.

Just like how you can create and save planets to land on, it would be nice if you could also create and save colonist groups to use later when starting a new colony so that if you wanted to you could have the same set of colonists crash-land on another planet for subsequent playthroughs or game restarts (which could also potentially be a useful feature for testing mods and such).

While starting a new colony with a completely random (i.e., no re-rolling stats) set of colonists has its charm, there are times when a player wants to have their colonists start with particular things and so it can be a bit tedious constantly re-rolling stats over and over again every time you want to restart a colony that way.

ParagonTerminus

Weapon Re-Engineering

A researchable bench, much like the Machining table, that after a very long, metal-expensive, power-hungry process allows your colonists to use the weapons of dead Mechanoids.

Would need to be, as stated previously, very difficult to perform or it becomes too OP
Hi there! I hail from the Sky9, FTL, and Katawa Shoujo forums, so if you're on any of those, I (might) know you.

Now carry along, I'm sure the guy below me has something interesting and contributive to say.

kingtyris

Also, please rebalanced the warden job so that wardens prioritize feeding and caring for prisoners over socializing and trying to convert them. I've had prisoners starve to death right after a friendly chat.

Speaking of food and starvation, please have settlers prioritize the harvesting and hauling of foodstuffs over most other tasks once the Low Food or at least Starvation status is triggered. My settlers starve to death while they lay down floor tiles I forgot to cancel X(

Yilmas

1. Ability to manually set a color for a stockpile, ie I'd love to set my food stockpiles to green and so on.
- When managing many stockpiles it easily gets confusing what they are for, and I feel this could help out greatly.
2. A quickview of current trade ships in orbit. This could be a line with a number representing the amount of orbiting ships.
- Currently it is very easy to not notice if a ship is in orbit. Even with the blue message, I usually ignore those, because they aren't a bad message :) I only notice yellow and reds...

Kain21

Bbubbles328

Encounter new factions as events later in the game, and maybe start out without knowing any factions until they visit or raid?

Psyckosama

Lawns. Just Add Poverty Grass to the list of things you can put in a grow zone.

skullywag

Quote from: Psyckosama on September 23, 2014, 05:22:36 PM
Lawns. Just Add Poverty Grass to the list of things you can put in a grow zone.

Whats wrong with green carpet?

(I kid...I like the idea of fully grassed areas)

Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

StorymasterQ

Factions have their own resources. When they raid with overwhelming numbers, and then get massacred, they go extinct.
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here

Wudchuck

Optional fog of war and aloe plants for use in the treatment of burns