Your Cheapest Ideas

Started by Tynan, October 09, 2013, 12:17:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheNewTeddy

I also notice a changelog addition is a current option in a mod.
sig

200Down

Maybe a cheapy or not.
      1.  Spreader doesn't need removal does it? Here are some addition options. Pick your poison   :)
             a: They need to be constantly powered while used indoors to avoid the ground reverting to it's original state.(I know I know it's not really a "cheapy")
             b: Maybe just a simple research adjustment? Unlocks along with Hydroponics or an addition research option named "Advanced farming methods" with both involved? This is easy and it should serve the purpose while still offering the player choice and choice is mmmm gooooddd. If people wanna us it instead of the faster growing hydroponics then... heck more power to them right?
            c: This one likely isn't a cheapy ether but it's probably how it should work if you want a more realistic take on it. It works ONLY as fertilizer which increases the growth speed of plants  inside it's working radius. Doesn't work on hydroponics. If you want to grow inside it's hydro or hauling dirt from outdoors+lamp+spreader to keep the soil growable. Very much not worth the time to even bother using indoors then.
            d: If you must remove it then at least share the code/script for it as a modding resource so it's not a complete waste of work.

Regardless, I just hate to see them removed because of the wonderful  sound they make AND it's the only method of dirt placement outdoors and I really enjoy that feature  ;D.

2. And here's a little somthing that needs some tlc which I'm sure you where planning on adjusting eventually.  Maybe after all other combat items where implemented?

<skillNeedFactors>
      <li Class="SkillNeed_Direct">
        <skill>Shooting</skill>
        <reportInverse>true</reportInverse>
        <factorsPerLevel>
          <li>0.50</li>
          <li>0.70</li>
          <li>0.80</li>
          <li>0.90</li>
          <li>0.93</li>
          <li>0.95</li>
          <li>0.96</li>
          <li>0.965</li>
          <li>0.97</li>
          <li>0.975</li>
          <li>0.98</li>
          <li>0.985</li>
          <li>0.9875</li>
          <li>0.99</li>
          <li>0.991</li>
          <li>0.992</li>
          <li>0.993</li>
          <li>0.994</li>
          <li>0.995</li>
          <li>0.996</li>
          <li>0.997</li>
        </factorsPerLevel>
      </li>
    </skillNeedFactors>

Wondered why shooting skill didn't seem to do anything...  90% shooter at rank 3? Just saying needs a little work and didn't want you to forget about it haha. Evening this out will also allow you to make guns just as accurate as they deserve without unbalancing things.. Only your top shooters would be OPish with very accurate guns anyways. That's reasonable isn't it? Would also make you think twice about picking up that useless slave with nothing but shooting skills. Not to mention even more of a reason to use some melee.

<factorsPerLevel>
          <li>0.50</li>
          <li>0.60</li>
          <li>0.65</li>
          <li>0.70</li>
          <li>0.75</li>
          <li>0.80</li>
          <li>0.82</li>
          <li>0.84</li>
          <li>0.86</li>
          <li>0.88</li>
          <li>0.90</li>
          <li>0.91</li>
          <li>0.92</li>
          <li>0.93</li>
          <li>0.94</li>
          <li>0.95</li>
          <li>0.958</li>
          <li>0.966</li>
          <li>0.974</li>
          <li>0.982</li>
          <li>0.998</li>
        </factorsPerLevel>

Here, 90% rank 10 seems more reasonable. Giving a lowly rank 5 shooter a submachine gun.... spray and pray. Yea, accuracy would need to be brought into line on the guns but that's a cheapy change and so is this shooting skill change  :)

200Down

Had to add another because late game can get a bit dull and eventually lacks in the challenge department. Maybe a giant Siege Mech for late late game that can crush even granite with little effort but has nothing but a melee attack, maybe limited shielding, and it's buddies to help support it.

This mod below really deserves a look. It may need a bit of ballancing but I think it would make a wonderful addition because it not only looks fitting but it's a completely different threat that requires different tactics. Don't see how anyone would complain about the addition with a little balancing.

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=9221.0
Been using it sense the first release and I'd guess that the 1.1 version is what you'd want. It's just the basic lil guys added. And if I remember correctly they'd be more than happy to donate it.

Phos Hilaron

Hey Tynan,

Thanks for an awesome game! Here's my cheap idea:
Could you create an early game flooring that doesn't require steel, wood or a tech (such as Stonecutting) so I can quickly and cheaply put floors in my first buildings, create simple walkways, etc. Maybe a cobblestone using rock chunks?

Here are some other thoughts:
1. Double-wide doors (because I like my underground corridors two-wide)
2. This has probably been mentioned but I don't think I saw it on your changelogs, but could you create vents or someway we can keep bedrooms cool without installing power-hungry cooling units in all of them?
3. This may not be cheap but could you tell miners and growers to haul a load of goods back with them when they go back to base to eat/rest? Especially miners, as I find myself sending them further and further away to get iron but they leave massive amounts behind because they go from mining to resting.

Thanks for your consideration!

Phos Hilaron

Hey Tynan,

Could you create an early game flooring that doesn't require steel, wood or a tech (such as Stonecutting) so I can quickly and cheaply put floors in my first buildings, create simple walkways, etc. Maybe a cobblestone using rock chunks?

2. This has probably been mentioned but I don't think I saw it on your changelogs, but could you create vents or someway we can keep bedrooms cool without installing power-hungry cooling units in all of them?
3. This may not be cheap but could you tell miners and growers to haul a load of goods back with them when they go back to base to eat/rest? Especially miners, as I find myself sending them further and further away to get iron but they leave massive amounts behind because they go from mining to resting.

harpo99999

Quote from: Phos Hilaron on February 07, 2015, 01:16:59 PM
Hey Tynan,

as far as the double wide doors, you CAN place two or more doors side by side (note do not put MORE than 9 side by side or will get a cave in due to doors not supporting the roof(this has been available since a7).
I also would like the pawns to carry when tavelling either to or from work

rephikul

http://i.imgur.com/QfXYSRm.jpg

Tesla Coil
Basically electric turret. Portable version is also nice.

Torches. Portable light source and act like a club which deal fire damage. Should still work when ordered to be hauled or thrown onto ground. If left unsupervised on the ground, might burn things around self.

Chance to strike upon crypto caskets (and automatically open them) when mining.

EDIT: Happiness bonus for staying within a certain temperature. Like 23-26 celcius.

EDIT2: Occasionally create raid precaution/foreshadow events which tell whether or not the colony will be attacked and why. Some examples:
"One of your colonists noticed some tribemen in the distance. They were pointing at your solar panels and made rude gestures."
"x spotted some pirates scouting on top of a distant cliff. Based on the direction of their binoculars, they were eyeing your stockpiles"
"The comm console somehow managed to intercept chats from raider. They seem to like your open base."
"The outlanders are opening calling for mercenaries to pay is a favour!"
"A trader ship sent us warnings regarding a business of mechanoid ships heading toward the planet!"
"As the smoke continued, some people from x came to watch for some times from a distance, then left". <- raid abandoned cause the colony took too much damage.

Vexillarius

It's probably been mentioned before, but how about a notification (like the 'food is low', 'need growing zone', 'mental break imminent' ones) when a colonist is under attack?

Maybe that way I'll notice when my best colonist (great doctor, fighter, researcher and warden with power armor early in the game) gets his neck snapped off by the only remaining insane turtle before it's too late.

It was funny as hell, but also quite frustrating since it only happened because I didn't notice and the guy didn't fight back or run.

200Down

See this nearly once a day. We didn't do this because of balance reasons. Whether it's from mods or whatever it seems to all boil down to too much money and traders being a bit to "friendly" or the fact that there is no item wear/decay which you're working on anyways but in the meantime....,

Cutthroat Traders

Lower paying, higher priced traders. They are pretty mean the way it is but until loot is brought under control, it's not nearly mean enough. At least for somewhat experienced players even on the hardest difficulty which doesn't seem to have a bearing on traders regardless.  Course I've yet to play on anything less than challenge.

A_Bandit!!!

These have probably been posted before but i like them

A guy joins your colony. The problem is, he is wanted. A bountyhunter with a posse hails you, giving you the option to either hand him over or face the consequences. Bountyhunter is well armed and tough.

Ransoms! When a pawn is captured, you can bargain for his life with the tribe responsible. Some pirates attack only to wound and capture pawns. When they get one they stop attacking, capture the poor guy and run. Upon return pawn is traumatized, possibly hurt.

200Down

^
^
^
Forget everything I ever suggested. I want those instead  ;D
Considering parts of what he said is already done.

Delete_Repeat

Sorry if to complex - think of this as one simple idea, that can branch out! I am tired of being invaded, I want REVENGE! I want more enemy bases on the map, and I want to be able to be the INVADER! Pre-gen'ed bases! Drops podding in. Up-gradable drops! looting! Kidnapping! EATING THE HEARTS OF YOUR ENEMIES! wait... i think that's a little much o:

Hayhorse

Quote from: Delete_Repeat on February 13, 2015, 01:20:30 PM
*SNIP* EATING THE HEARTS OF YOUR ENEMIES! wait... i think that's a little much o:

Yesssss. YESSSS! LET USSS EAT THEIR FACES AND THEIR HEARTSSS! WE SHALL EAT THE FOOLISH MEATSACKS AND SLAUGHTER THEM IN THEIR SLEEP! (Translated from Mantic)

Kirid

An explosive charge to take down walls.
Raiders should run up and plant it then move back before it blows.
You can't rollerskate in a muffalo herd

giannikampa

Great ideas in this tread!

Mine super easy:
More traits to make exponentially less probable the same pawn to be in the game.
I can think there could be a trait for each variable in the game.

some examples:

Light/dark lover: has a buff (morale or speed movement) by being in dark/brightly light. And an opposite trait, why not?
Insomniac: wakes up at 80% of his rest
fast metabolism: colonist's food bar drops faster than normal
vegetarian: has a morale debuff if eats meat
sociopath: has slight debuff proportional to the number the member of the colony. And its opposite trait as well.
gregarius: no debuff for sharing bedroom
Particular material lover/hater: slight morale buff/debuff if wearing a garment made of a certain material.
Particular skill lover: like the green thumb, slight buff when doing his favourite job.
Particular skill hater: slight debuff if does his hated job.
Sexist: debuff if talks to opposite sex.

And all the other you can think of.
The point, as said, is to add even more variety keeping the game balanced as it already is.
And as always.. sorry for my bad english