Your Cheapest Ideas

Started by Tynan, October 09, 2013, 12:17:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OFWG

Quote from: Blixit on May 15, 2016, 12:28:09 AM
... tone down the berserk mental state a tad cause that can also hurt the fun.

This, a million times this! A stress-induced slap or two I could understand, but going full on mortal kombat on your friends is ridiculous and infuriating. It should trigger nothing more than a social fight.
Quote from: sadpickle on August 01, 2018, 05:03:35 PM
I like how they saw the naked guy with no food and said, "what he needs is an SMG."

MeowRailroad

Log Barricade:

Similar to a sandbag, made out of wood and is a few logs piled up to make a defensive fortification.
Quote from: Tynan on December 02, 2016, 05:24:06 PM
This is like being in a remote fishing town in Libera and asking, "Why can't I just pay one of the fishermen $10 to take me back to Los Angeles?"

night777

Happy thoughts for visiting the beach or the coast. "Visited the beach +5, 12 hours"

twoski

reclaiming old tattered clothes and repairing weapons/clothes should be doable. it gives more value to the Tailor/Smithing traits.

baegle

Weird names in bold are an attempt to create unique identifiers for discussion purposes. E.g. "I really like ninemonkey but don't think we could do miggleprops."

warble71: Gravel. Make it a bill at the stonecutter bench. Any rock chunk can be made into some gravel. Gravel becomes a stackable resource. Use gravel to make concrete floors and sandbags. Because steel makes no sense.

hillorange: Self-taming visitors. Based on how dope your area is, a visitor might become a colonist by "self-recruiting". Combine visitor, wanderer, and self-taming features into this.

lardercarriage: Recruiting non-prisoners. "Blue" guests of your village leave after a short time. That's a good rate limiter. Your socialites (warden for now) should attempt to recruit people to your village. Small chance of success but would SUPER awesome way to get some people. Plus I hate imprisoning people I save.

ninemonkey: Sledges. A sledge is made from wood and steel. It is a gear item that must be forced worn. It is auto-dropped whenever the current action is not "haul this". A sledge worn by a colonist reduces total move speed but increases carrying capacity. Eventually you can make animals pull sledges and get speed boosts over snow. But that's later. For now, just a sledge.

getridofboomrats: Seriously. They're fast. They're many. Fire is VERY dangerous in several ways. Fire already has a large number of ways to randomly spawn and precious few ways of managing. The random events "mad animal", "revenge" from a stray bullet, and "manhunter packs" that auto-route to any available colonist combine to make boomrats a net detractor from the game. We already have boomalopes. Leave it at that.

miggleprops: Let me grow cacao in tropical climes and make chocolate with cacao.

21sleepmark: Room actions. This one might be more than 4-hours. But, if you can use a list instead of a single action, and operate on that list until it's empty, and never add items to the list but only remove them, then you should be able to create a list of actions, assign it to the colonist, and they should execute until the list is empty or a new action comes in and the list goes away. Combine that with the fact that you have a model of what a "room" is and you should be able to extend existing commands for tiles in rooms to all tiles in rooms. Use cases: "make roof for this room", "clean dirt in this room", "clean blood in this room", "repair in this room", etc.

peacecake: Voluntary global speed modifier. Let me set a % of speed on a colonist to reduce how fast they move and work. If it set it to 50% then they should work and move 50% slower. Let this be a way to reduce heat stroke.

mono111: Shade. Allow shade to reduce the temperature of a tile. Honestly, between this and peacecake, my problem is that heat waves never killed entire tribes and they didn't need to build any kind of passive cooler. People lived in hot parts of Africa for generations without air conditioning and they did so by staying in the shade, working slower or not at all during the heat of the day, and taking advantage of cooler temps at night. Managing heat waves should NOT be this complicated.

argylemiscreant: Bottom left corner of the screen. I use the hover feature to see terrain, roof status, and other things about what my mouse is over. However, I most often need that info when directing a colonist to take an action. Problem is, selecting a colonist puts their info card in the bottom left corner, hiding the information in the hover. Make both data sets visible at the same time please. Very frustrating.

sweetsix: Hitting the "home" key on the keyboard should take me to the center of the largest home area in the map.

briar87: Cooks should never eat raw food. They should also prioritize cooking their own meal over eating raw except in the edge case where they will pass out if they don't eat.

crabsandwich: Dead colonists unfinished crafts should be deconstructable. This might be the best way to get rid of garbage apparel, too.

possebranch: Colonists should have a fear response to frag grenades that they have direct line of sight to within a square or two. They should run away from grenades with a fear response, even if that means putting themselves in danger.

zeropetunia: Is there any chance a warden could transfer a prisoner? You could maybe allow prison beds/spots to be assigned the names of current prisoners, then prioritize a transfer from where they are to where you want them. They'd still be in restraints, but it could have added danger of a prison break event.

greatflog: Flickable vents, allow you to open and close them, effectively turning them on or off. This would make vents to the outside a reasonable possibility.

pineconeradio: I'd like to be able to make a pavilion. Basically just pillars with a roof. This wouldn't count as room, so maybe that's just not possible right now.

greekmark: Spear fishing. It's hunting but with a spear in a body of water!

OK, I think that's enough brainstorming.

mumblemumble

Underground rocks - Taking those rock textures on the dirt, and actually giving them an effect!

Trying to build anything on it wouldn't work unless you excavated the rock (you need even ground) and then yields a stone, possibly even a bit of steel / ore. Would make building, gardening, and other stuff more challenging, as well as provide a stone resource on FLAT maps too, helping with game balance perhaps.

digging them up would use the mining skill obviously, also making mining useful on flat maps.
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

Draegon

Why not cobblestone walls and paths? They could be made from the stone chunks but be weaker than brick walls. The paths would look nice but be slower than concrete.

tukat

What about a wheelchair for the one who got pelvis shattered.
I have a pawn got  pelvis shattered,can't move anymore. He once served me well.  I don't want to freeze him in casket or kill him. So I put him in medical bed,set a TV in front of him,let others feed him every day.  Hoped the power amor can make him walk again,but that failed,he can't dressd it.
Can we just have some sympathy to those loyal disabled  by create him a wheelchair?

arl85

maybe already suggested, but please keep statistics tab visible even after colonists' death: would be very nice to review their life (they slept for 4 days, ate for 2 days, and so on)

blub01

Quote from: MikeLemmer on August 30, 2016, 04:54:01 PM
Quote from: blub01 on August 30, 2016, 03:18:03 PM
Quote from: MikeLemmer on August 30, 2016, 02:04:56 PM
New Minor Incident: Cave-In
The roof collapses on part of an underground base, making rubble and injuring colonists.

Another way to make mountain bases riskier without resorting to a full-blown bug invasion.

maybe taking roof stability as a base for calculating the chance of it happening?

Eh, I personally think just having it choose the spot randomly will naturally lean towards larger rooms.

but using roof stability would mean you could build supports and stuff.
Quote from: Zobaken on September 02, 2015, 12:37:37 AM
1. Please make people unable to move through deep waters. I don't like raiders cosplaying Jesus.

MikeLemmer

Quote from: blub01 on August 31, 2016, 03:01:44 PMbut using roof stability would mean you could build supports and stuff.

Which is Complex. This is for Cheap Ideas.

nccvoyager

Quick Meal - Requires 25 ingredients, provides almost no cooking experience, and is very quick to cook regardless of skill level.
Little more than fire-roasted vegetables, fruit, or meat, and wastes a lot of resources during cooking. Higher chance of food poisoning, regardless of skill and cleanliness.
Mood debuff -1. "Ate quick meal."
"I ate a meal that was cooked quickly. Tasted better than nutrient paste, but it was a little burnt around the edges, and I don't feel well."
(After writing this, I realized that the priorities for the colonists would need to be tweaked, which wouldn't necessarily be a simple thing to do.)

Sunflower - A flowering plant that is exceptionally beautiful, though it cannot be planted in a pot. Can be harvested for seeds which, while not particularly appetizing, last an extremely long time1 without being refrigerated. The seeds are not uncommon, and are not worth much in trade.
1(2 years, let's say?)

Sugar Maple Tree - A maple tree that is often found growing in northern climates. Can be cut for wood, or harvested for a very small quantity of Maple Syrup2 without actually cutting down the tree.

Maple Syrup2 - A high-sugar syrup. Extremely joyous to consume, and extremely valuable, though not at all nutritious.

2(It takes around 40 litres of sugar maple sap to make 1 litre of maple syrup after processing. So, a 250ml bottle of syrup once a year is actually pushing the limits of the believable. But, then again, these are genetically-engineered super trees, stolen from a glitterworld, right? So, they produce syrup straight up, with no middle step.)

Sanaart

Quote from: delor on August 30, 2016, 03:30:51 PM
  Here's a cheap idea: Let wardens arrest berserk people.  It seems silly that, at the moment, you can't really arrest misbehaving people.

It could be a social skill check that requires an empty jail cell.  Possibly, a skill that factors in the average of social + (melee or ranged, depending on what weapon the warden has equipped). 

Succeed, and the target gets sent to jail and spends a few days cooling off as a prisoner.  Fail, and the target can't be talked down for the remainder of the berserk spell.

This would let capable wardens end berserk incidents without risk of injury, while still making berserk a bad thing.  You lose the berserker for the duration of the spell, still, and also have to waste manpower arresting and then feeding the berserker.
This one is already in! Draft someone and right click the colonist you wish to arrest. But you will have to convince them to join the colony again.

The Great Muffalo

Chickens simply must be changed from herbivorous to omnivorous. In real life Chickens love meat and blood far more then plants and seeds and stuff. Also, in Rimworld it would help me get rid of all these tribal bodies while still feeding my chickens because they ate all the grass and stuff.
"I was chained up, only able to see shadows. They moved, they danced, they were my world. I couldn't turn my head, I couldn't face the light. But as soon as the light hit my face, I pitied those who were still looking at shapes made only of darkness."

MeowRailroad

Quote from: Sanaart on August 31, 2016, 08:51:53 PM
This one is already in! Draft someone and right click the colonist you wish to arrest. But you will have to convince them to join the colony again.

Actually you can just release them afterwards.
Quote from: Tynan on December 02, 2016, 05:24:06 PM
This is like being in a remote fishing town in Libera and asking, "Why can't I just pay one of the fishermen $10 to take me back to Los Angeles?"