Your Cheapest Ideas

Started by Tynan, October 09, 2013, 12:17:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlazingAngel665

You should be able to "milk" boomalopes for chemfuel. It would add an incentive to keep the, shall we say, incendiary, animals around.

Zhentar

Quote from: joyfulrogue on December 28, 2016, 05:29:55 AM
3. Travelling has too much downtime, you need a 4th, faster game speed for travelling when you abandoned your home and there's no home base process going on.

May wanna do some optimization first, or PCs will not handle that faster speed.

This is already in the game. When you're on the world map, "super fast" (the third speed) runs 25 times faster than when you're on a map. When I was playing the unstable builds (which run a bit slower than the official release builds), it dropped my fairly high end PC down to 5 FPS.

Sola

Quote from: Mattx0x on December 29, 2016, 06:17:27 PM
Legendary backstories. These colonists will be of a super-rare status, with the potential to make or break your colony due to them having a higher than average number of traits that stack and their own unique traits that while powerfully valuable

I've never been much a fan of using rarity as an excuse to have something overpowered.

See: Magic's Jace the Mind Sculptor, Diablo 3's Real Money Auction House, Fire Emblem's holy weapons, Shard of Freedom/focus in Elements.  They were all supposed to be rare, but if you wanted to be competitive in any of these formats, you found the money to get four jaces to compete with every other competitive deck that had four jaces.  Or you'd farm for days to get the shards you need to compete with everyone else that already did that.

Do you reroll 9001 times to get a legendary guy?  What does that say about the other people that invested a ton of money to have their character in the game?  I'm thinking if everyone is the same, boring, supporting cast member, everyone becomes valuable.
Two tiers of construction jobs.  One for expensive/quality items, and one for walls/floors/etc.

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=28669.0

Karelias

There could be a research project called "Personal Shield Harmonics/Oscillations/etc," so that your colonists can eventually during the mid-late game shoot out of personal shields.

dv

Quote from: Sola on December 29, 2016, 06:44:02 PM
Quote from: Mattx0x on December 29, 2016, 06:17:27 PM
Legendary backstories. These colonists will be of a super-rare status, with the potential to make or break your colony due to them having a higher than average number of traits that stack and their own unique traits that while powerfully valuable

I've never been much a fan of using rarity as an excuse to have something overpowered.

See: Magic's Jace the Mind Sculptor, Diablo 3's Real Money Auction House, Fire Emblem's holy weapons, Shard of Freedom/focus in Elements.  They were all supposed to be rare, but if you wanted to be competitive in any of these formats, you found the money to get four jaces to compete with every other competitive deck that had four jaces.  Or you'd farm for days to get the shards you need to compete with everyone else that already did that.

Do you reroll 9001 times to get a legendary guy?  What does that say about the other people that invested a ton of money to have their character in the game?  I'm thinking if everyone is the same, boring, supporting cast member, everyone becomes valuable.

I agree. "Rare" OP stuff is lame, especially if it becomes P2W (although I don't think that'll be a problem in Rimworld.)

What might be interesting, though, are more traits that effect other Pawns. (We already have the ones that effect social interaction.) A "John Henry" trait that gives everybody +1 to mining, or a "Song of the Volga Boatmen" trait that halves the negative effect of "lazy" or enables hauling in pawns that wouldn't have the ability. Stuff like that.

You obviously wouldn't want those benefits to stack, though. That could get pretty wacky.

Anomaly

Super pawns might be good event rewards - eg. a distress call from a crashed ship or an ancient cryo pod. Not quite a cheap idea though.

Primal Lord

How about just a few additional positive and negative thoughtdefs based on sight? for example, when people are "lovin" in my shared barracks, i feel like at least one person should receive a negative moodlet, or maybe a positive because who knows, maybe they're into that. And when my beautiful nudist pawns are strutting about the town i feel at the very least hetero pawns of the opposite gender and gay pawns of the same gender should get positive thoughtdefs, am i the only one who thinks like this? Yes? Ok, i'll just be over there.

internetrules

i would like to be able to tell my animals to not use drugs for addictions

i got one of my muffalo addicted to yayo and alcohol and they just keep using them

but maybe it should only be for animals of advanced intelligence because i dont really think you could tell a muffalo "HEY dont take drugs" and expect him not to take drugs

bier00t

Ate food in the rain.

Why there is no penalty for eating outside in the rain?
I understand that eating outside on sunny day is nice but in the rain?

bier00t

If there is a raid you always need to take out exactly half of it to make them flee. Shouldnt the number be more random? Maybe raids should have some "determination" stat that defines when they would flee?

dosemeter

Quote from: BlazingAngel665 on December 29, 2016, 05:45:55 PM
You should be able to "milk" boomalopes for chemfuel. It would add an incentive to keep the, shall we say, incendiary, animals around.

This could work hand in hand with these ideas (and many others):
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=28794.msg290044#msg290044

Sola

When controlling a single pawn, a menu comes up when you rightclick a thing.  "Melee attack (thing), fire at (thing), arrest (thing), haul (thing)" etc.

When controlling a group of pawns, rightclicking automatically makes ranged guys fire, and melee guys melee.  That is kind of counterproductive.  Melee guys get shot in the back buy their own pawns without so much as a confirmation message.  Maybe I just cleared an infestation and want all ten of my guys to bludgeon the hive instead of having to click each one individually?

Suggestion : Add a menu when rightclick with several pawns similar to the one that appears when rightclicking with a single pawn.
"Group Fire at..." would have shooters shoot, and melee guys not move.
"Group Melee attack..." would have all pawns melee a target, such as a downed thrumbo, running pirate, or psychic ship.
Two tiers of construction jobs.  One for expensive/quality items, and one for walls/floors/etc.

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=28669.0

Cosmicpenquin

Maybe you could implement a bunker building or something with walls but you are able to have like an opening in it to shoot out of instead of sandbags only. A good defensive building.

14m1337

Quote from: Cosmicpenquin on December 30, 2016, 08:18:15 PM
Maybe you could implement a bunker building or something with walls but you are able to have like an opening in it to shoot out of instead of sandbags only. A good defensive building.

search for "ED-Embrasures" mod ;)
Quick_Silver - The One And Lonely
My posts may sometimes be filled with (sarcastic) humor - it's up to you to find it out on your own.
Usually drunk on Mondays from 21:00 to 03:00 CEST.

Thundercraft

Quote from: 14m1337 on December 30, 2016, 10:29:15 PMsearch for "ED-Embrasures" mod ;)

There's also Brunayla's Embrasures, Skullywag's Embrasures (A14), Concrete Walls's embrasures, Combat Realism's embrasures, and Medieval Times' embrasures. ;) Some of these, like ED-Embrasures, completely blocks movement/passage. And some of these, like the embrasures in Medieval Times, allow passage, making them like sandbags with higher movement penalty and better cover that also supports a roof.