Your Cheapest Ideas

Started by Tynan, October 09, 2013, 12:17:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dargaron

Tapestries: Either unlocked via Carpet-making or a secondary tech branching off of Carpet-making. They are placed on wall surfaces and increase the beauty of a room. They use the various cloth-type textiles. Perhaps there could be an inferior version which uses leathers, called something like "decorated leatherwork."

Decorated Walls: A high-work replacement (a la +400% work) for regular walls, with an increased beauty score. Requires an Artistic score of 6 for easy-to-work materials (e.g. wood), 8 for soft stone (sandstone, limestone) and 10 for hard-and/or-brittle stone (marble, slate). These represent bas reliefs, murals, mosaics, etc.

The ability to manually disarm owned traps without deconstruction.

Chain mail Hauberk/Coif: An inferior version of Armor Vest/Combat Helmet which does not require components or Machining.

EDIT: Ways to remove some of the more nasty afflictions: risky surgery to remove Gut Worms, EMP devices to remove mechanites (if nothing else, an EMP grenade should do the trick! If it can disable machines designed for war, like scythers and centipedes...)

Sandbags w/ gun rests: costs two extra steel, but gives a slight bonus to accuracy for pawns in adjacent spaces.

kfsone

Privacy curtains or screens: something that reduces the likelihood of disturbed sleep in a multibed hospital.

kfsone

Tweak the 'Add Bill' button so there is less fiddle when there is only one bill available.

switch (bills.length) {
   case 0: addButton.set(text="No Bills Available", enabled=False);
   case 1: addButton.set(text="Add " + bills[0].name, enabled=True);l
  default: addButton.set(text="Add Bill", enabled=True);
}

Pirate333

Hi! My idea is so cheap, I doubt I am the first one with it, but I couldn't find anything on it.

The Problem:

Transport pods suck. You need to invest quite some material to build them, which is ok, but you can only do half a journey. Means you are stuck a long range away from your village. So I tried to take enough material to build new pods, but the steel is too heavy. So I mined it at the new location. But I didn't manage to do it in time before forced leave (don't understand the logic of these either). Anyway, even if I would have made it, it sucks. Especially if I raid other towns, I may have injured pawns. Also I don't want to do a lot of micromanagement, just to get them back without starving in the nowhere. From an economic perspective a raid like this does not make sense at all.

The Solution:

Make Transport pods 2 way vehicles. So after landing somewhere, you can load them again and return to your village.
This would make especially raiding much more profitable and end game more interesting.

flaming duck

Hi!
Problem:
when using "pause when satisfied" its sometimes hard to get an exact number when you are working with big numbers.

solution: if you could make it possible to also just type the number or work with percentages instead

MerlosTheMad

We need a mechanoid version of a siege, but instead of them mortaring you they just periodically replicate and send a few mechs at your base.

SkedHeol

Add fruit trees (for food and wood at same time, or choose to harvest or cut)
Add bees and honey (that we can produce)
Add penguin, white bear, caribou for icebiome
Add snake (/giant snake?) for forest
Add scorpion for desert
Add babies wild animals if there is minimum 1 male and 1 female in the group

Mister Keon

Probably one of the simplest features to implement, but it's something thats been bugging me for weeks:

-Move the categorised resource list a little bit to the right, so that clicking the expand/collapse arrows does not move your screen when "screen edge mouse scroll" is enabled.

OFWG

Quote from: Mister Keon on July 14, 2017, 09:02:24 AM
Probably one of the simplest features to implement, but it's something thats been bugging me for weeks:

-Move the categorised resource list a little bit to the right, so that clicking the expand/collapse arrows does not move your screen when "screen edge mouse scroll" is enabled.

+1000000
Quote from: sadpickle on August 01, 2018, 05:03:35 PM
I like how they saw the naked guy with no food and said, "what he needs is an SMG."

Mad Muffalo

Shooting target for your shooters to practice improve their skills, as hunting takes ages, also for those with a passion for shooting, I've noticed hunting doesn't do much.
Also a punching bag for melee or boxing ring where tow pawns can spar

Thundercraft

Quote...what ideas do you have for the game that are really cheap to implement?

Something that would be really cheap to implement would be adding support for .JPG images as the Preview for mods. Currently, Preview.png in the /about/ folder must be in .PNG format. And many mods seem to use large images, such as 800x600 or even larger. As a result, the Preview.png in most mods constitute at least 80% of the file size of the mod, sometimes 90% or more. And since many players these days use many dozens or even hundreds of mods, this really adds up. The use of .JPG would drastically reduce this. Granted, JPEG is not the best choice for certain types of images, such as those with a lot of red. But, as long as the compression isn't too high, the difference would be barely noticeable for many.

MerlosTheMad

Quote from: Pirate333 on July 11, 2017, 10:41:43 AM
Hi! My idea is so cheap, I doubt I am the first one with it, but I couldn't find anything on it.

The Problem:

Transport pods suck. You need to invest quite some material to build them, which is ok, but you can only do half a journey. Means you are stuck a long range away from your village. So I tried to take enough material to build new pods, but the steel is too heavy. So I mined it at the new location. But I didn't manage to do it in time before forced leave (don't understand the logic of these either). Anyway, even if I would have made it, it sucks. Especially if I raid other towns, I may have injured pawns. Also I don't want to do a lot of micromanagement, just to get them back without starving in the nowhere. From an economic perspective a raid like this does not make sense at all.

The Solution:

Make Transport pods 2 way vehicles. So after landing somewhere, you can load them again and return to your village.
This would make especially raiding much more profitable and end game more interesting.

No, the solution is to just found a temporary colony to build your new pods. You can have multiples by going into the options and turning that feature on. It's off by default because it's still being tested. This way you shouldnt get kicked from an area after three days.

Bolgfred

I'd wish to see wool spinning or other wool preparation. By now, the production time for clothing is about 3% planting 2% harvesting, 5% hauling and 90% tailoring. By this, the local crafter is busy for very long time, while nobody can help him and everybody have to wait half a year for their new pants.
I imagine it to be cool if there would be a wool spinning task, that has to be done between harvesting wool or cotton, to create cloth, taking 30-60% of crafting time. By this way I can have 2 or more tailors / crafters working on the same project.

A colony without pants is horror. True horror.
"The earth has only been lent to us,
but no one has said anything about returning."
-J.R. Van Devil

PhantomFav

My paws fall on a random planet so... is it possibile to extend the random button, already present for the seed name, to the Overall Rainfall and Temperature too? :)

Matiaz

Could you please add Groups/Tabs so you can better organize your colonists into builders, military, farmers, etc.  These would help with organizing colonies and other colonies (I play multiple colonies in one save)
I'd appreciate it if you could please reply back, thanks and keep up the great work!