Your Cheapest Ideas

Started by Tynan, October 09, 2013, 12:17:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AndrewArt

@sick puppy thank you, I didn't even think of that ^^

Today I really felt the need for some medieval shields, I wish there would be such a thing in rimworld.. I found a mod but it is not updated for B18, not even A17.. it absorbs melee damage you receive depending on your melee skill, I would love such an addition to rimworld if possible Tynan :) Shields just look bad-ass, let's be honest. That would be really cool.

mmance

Sometimes when I load my save game it takes a very long time.  I would love it to default to the paused state upon load so I can leave my PC whilst I wait. 

Hows that for cheap? :-)

jamaicancastle

Quote from: mmance on February 17, 2018, 03:01:20 PM
Sometimes when I load my save game it takes a very long time.  I would love it to default to the paused state upon load so I can leave my PC whilst I wait. 

Hows that for cheap? :-)
It's cheap enough that I thought that was already in the options menu (look for "pause on load").

mmance

I totally did not see that.  It is there.  Thx.

Indoril120

Migrant Worker Event

Sort of like when someone comes by being chased by pirates, except no pirates. A stranger shows up asking for a place to stay temporarily in exchange for work. You can accept them into the colony or turn them away. The pawn stays for a pre-determined amount of time, and when the duration expires the pawn leaves, moving on to the next welcoming colony. Maybe you could try and convince the pawn to stay at the end of their employmentif you wanted.

DerpFaceCake

Craftable Glitterworld Medicine?

ticket

Some of these are bound to be mentioned previously, but ...
- Cooking sometimes fails and ingredients are wasted (e.g. meal gets burned)
- Be able to copy all bills from one device to another (built an additional stove, want to copy all orders to it)
- Seasonal fishing in rivers/oceans/large lakes (more for joy than a great source of food)
- Introduce melee training dummies to help raise the stat faster
- Painkillers (poppy plants -> opium extract (drug workbench) -> morphine (drug workbench)).  Unless I'm mistaken, during an operation, inducing anesthesia requires no item.
- "Do not resuscitate" trait: cannot tend to unconscious colonist with this trait (excluding anesthetized)

I understand that a z-axis is not happening (nor should it), but if we assume some very local terrain flatness, allowing short-ish (15, 20 tile?) irrigation ditches stemming away from rivers/lakes would be amazing in certain biomes and would encourage people not to dwarf-fortress every single time they play.

Furthermore, if we have a deep drill item for minerals, and a moisture pump item, shouldn't there be a deep drill item which can do the reverse of the moisture pump and make a local area fertile?

mmance

When you go to make a weapon or a piece of apparel, there is a little i to click on to get more info.  When you click on it it take you to a page about the ingredient cost, but does not tell you anything about the item.  It should show the same information that you get when you click on the little i for the item it self (damage, protection, etc) so that you can compare items when you are making a bill.

Names are for the Weak

Couples and ought to have arguments with one another on occasion, reducing their opinion of one another for a time. This would be more realistic, as the way relationships currently work in the game, once you're at +100 relation, barring cheating or killing a relative of theirs, colonists tend to stay at that level forever.

jamaicancastle

Quote from: mmance on February 21, 2018, 10:08:28 PM
When you go to make a weapon or a piece of apparel, there is a little i to click on to get more info.  When you click on it it take you to a page about the ingredient cost, but does not tell you anything about the item.  It should show the same information that you get when you click on the little i for the item it self (damage, protection, etc) so that you can compare items when you are making a bill.
The problem is that for most items where that would be useful (weapons other than guns, apparel) those values all get changed by the stuff that it's made out of. Like, a wooden spear has very different attributes from a steel spear.

Harry_Dicks

I did already make a thread for it, but will post here as well.

When you right click a trader and the context menu pops up, have a new option to "Dismiss trader".

Hound19

I think human kids would be a good idea and having more needs added like toilet and stuff. Also better things of like temporarily arresting people to calm them out of a mental break.

Harry_Dicks

Quote from: Hound19 on February 24, 2018, 12:25:43 PM
I think human kids would be a good idea and having more needs added like toilet and stuff. Also better things of like temporarily arresting people to calm them out of a mental break.

In case you haven't seen, there is the mod Children and Pregnancy. Also, Dubs Bad Hygiene, and Rim of Madness---Straight Jackets. All of them seem like fantastic mods, and I would recommend giving them a try! Mind you, Children and Pregnancy can be little buggy still with other mods.

9ofSpades

A cheap idea that I beleive would add some interesting stories in Rimworld while utilizing game mechanics already in play would be to have a situational mental break similar to Murderous Rage

Murderous Rage
A colonist becomes maddened, and will attack a randomly chosen colonist or prisoner with melee until they are dead.

Introducing a Revenge mental break that would occur to a pawn during combat. Revenge would be a mental break that would occur to a pawn, at risk of mental breaks, when another pawn in the colony, whom they have a strong connection with (e.g. spouse, brother, lover), is killed by an enemy raider. The Revenge mental break would cause the pawn to seek out to kill the enemy pawn who had just killed the colonist. They would do so without regards to their own safety and be uncontrollable to the player. A melee geared pawn might just charge straight towards the enemy without any concern for cover. A pawn with a ranged weapon might move closer to a more optimal range and with increased accuracy and fire rate attempt to kill the enemy pawn without regarding the need for cover.
Increasing their combat stats during the break would make them a bigger threat to the targeted enemy pawn while also presenting the opportunity for the player to lose another pawn. However, with the stats of the mentally broken pawn increased it could also turn the tide of the battle and scare off the raiders.

We see this situation played out in movies all the time where the sudden death of a character caused the underdog to rise to the occasion and defeat the enemy (or die trying)....

sick puppy

Quote from: 9ofSpades on February 28, 2018, 03:31:52 PM
A cheap idea that I beleive would add some interesting stories in Rimworld while utilizing game mechanics already in play would be to have a situational mental break similar to Murderous Rage

Murderous Rage
A colonist becomes maddened, and will attack a randomly chosen colonist or prisoner with melee until they are dead.

Introducing a Revenge mental break that would occur to a pawn during combat. Revenge would be a mental break that would occur to a pawn, at risk of mental breaks, when another pawn in the colony, whom they have a strong connection with (e.g. spouse, brother, lover), is killed by an enemy raider. The Revenge mental break would cause the pawn to seek out to kill the enemy pawn who had just killed the colonist. They would do so without regards to their own safety and be uncontrollable to the player. A melee geared pawn might just charge straight towards the enemy without any concern for cover. A pawn with a ranged weapon might move closer to a more optimal range and with increased accuracy and fire rate attempt to kill the enemy pawn without regarding the need for cover.
Increasing their combat stats during the break would make them a bigger threat to the targeted enemy pawn while also presenting the opportunity for the player to lose another pawn. However, with the stats of the mentally broken pawn increased it could also turn the tide of the battle and scare off the raiders.

We see this situation played out in movies all the time where the sudden death of a character caused the underdog to rise to the occasion and defeat the enemy (or die trying)....
sounds cool. especially when you think about how raiders often have relationships to another. it could get really weird though when a recruited pirate's sibling is in the raiding force. will your pawn try to kill your own pawns if they kill his kin? would be a sure fire way to screw up battles, don't you think? and if you only do it for pawns that will go and attack enemy factions, wouldnt that just make it a straight upside to the whole battle system in late game when you have 20 pawns and hordes of enemies with numerous weirdly related people among their ranks attack you? also, what would happen if you lose a colonist to a friendly fire incident and your other pawn, the deceised pawn's own flesh and blood, will go and attack you aswell? friendly fire is already the ruin of some players, no need to make it even harder...but i guess you could make the murderous rage only trigger when a pawn gets killed by another faction. on the other hand, you cant have funny chain reactions among enemy ranks...

welp, dunno.
just seems like kind of a can of worms. i do like the idea though of a pawn hulking the rimhell out and wreaking havoc among enemy ranks.
anyway the trigger gets implemented, i would really like to see a pawn that "intelligently" fights his way through to his victim, flattening multiple enemy pawns in the process possibly until he arrives there.

melee pawns are rather easy to program. incapable of violence probably wouldnt have this mental break. but what about pawns with guns? will they just move towards their victim until they come across an enemy pawn that is less than half as far away from them than their victim? that pawn would be gunned down and your mentally broken pawn would move on until the victim is in a good range to be shot at (whatever that range is defined as)

i would also really like to see pawns for once attacking downed pawns automatically. like, they REALLY wanna kill the dude.