Your Cheapest Ideas

Started by Tynan, October 09, 2013, 12:17:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doctor_james01

My timberwolf got his let bitten off.I want to install a peg-leg or some sort animal bionics.So i would like for their to be bionics or peg leg etc. for animals. It might not be the "cheapest" idea but in my opinion it is needed.    thank you,Doctor_james01

Teleblaster18

This may have alredy been mentioned in 360 pages of suggestions, but just in case:

Trojan Horse pirate raids.

Traders that have a name *not included in the planet's existing factions* arrive peacefully on the map, with the appropriate notification.  They then move to the base as traders normally would.

Within a certain timeframe, the traders reveal themselves to be a pirate band, and go immediately hostile...after having bypassed all the player's defenses.

It's similar to a Drop Pod Through The Roof approach, but the name should be the giveaway...if you recognize that the faction name is false (or is subtly goofy enough) in time, you can engage them before they reach your base, and have the advantage of Initiative/Shooting First.

If not...

Another subtle clue as to their real identity could be given through having a single pirate snort yayo at some point.

Pineapple_Jack

Prior tending over feeding.
I've just had a nice fight with a scythers and 2 of my pawn lost a leg, and when my third pawn rescued them (carried to the bed), he tended first and .. was going to feed her(pawn) .. I mean, why the hell is this more important than treating the shot off leg?!

ChiefBigFeather

Sleeping bag material should determine it's weight.

This would follow the same logic some modern camping gear is: Save every ounce by using excessively good and expensive material :)

Avarajihari

When a colonist starts feeling trapped indoors (which leads to cabin fever) it would be nice if he prioritized going for a walk over staying indoors and playing billiards.

YCFCj

Quote from: Bolgfred on July 09, 2018, 03:13:24 AM
Manhunter with rabies.

A single Animal(human?) spawns in the map as a manhunter, having a buff which increases attack/movement speed and makes it causes a special poison on hit, which acts like a heavier infection.

+1.

NB theres a poisonous animals mod out there somewhere

Zombull

Add a "Blind Start" button to the story teller selection screen.

Blind Start chooses a random world gen seed, a random landing site and random starting pawns without giving you an opportunity to review and reselect them.

After all, you just crawled out of your cryptosleep casket and have mere seconds to escape the exploding ship. You don't exactly have time to plan.

Teleblaster18

On consuming Psychoid Tea (Pekoe):

3% chance of "Bad Trip" event.  Pawn becomes incap'd for 8 hours, with thought bubble containing "∞!!!!!"

Skryabin

That would be nice to have an altar table and altar spot. The animals can be sacrificed on the altar spot and other offerings like wine and some harvest things or breads can be brought on the altar table. This would allowed to bring some religion aspect in the game without any specifications for those players who would like to build church for example. After worshiping their god(s) colonists would get joy for some period of time. Is it difficult to add it into the game?

Klomster

New trait.

Religious.
Gets a bigger mood buff from praying.
People without religious gets a -1 on relationship because they get tired of their antics. Or some other penalty.

5thHorseman

Change all items to be named "Thing - Composition" instead of "Composition Thing"

So "Plainleather Bedroll" will instead be "Bedroll - Plainleather"

Then when making a caravan or any other activity where you have to find something specific in the items screen, you can sort by name and it's actually useful.

Alternatively...
Toolboxifier - Soil Clarifier
I never got how pawns in the game could have such insanely bad reactions to such mundane things.
Then I came to the forums.

5thHorseman

Add a search/filter box for all item inventory screens, so while making a caravan or trading you can more easily find what you are looking for.
Toolboxifier - Soil Clarifier
I never got how pawns in the game could have such insanely bad reactions to such mundane things.
Then I came to the forums.

RAAAARGH

Carnivore animals should protect their kills.
Bears, Wolves, etc add a lot of atmosphere by hunting and leaving prey carcasses, however, they don't eat everything fully. They'll often wander away after only a single meal, and don't seem to care if your pawns move close to them. Carnivores should remain close close to their kills, and attack pawns who get close; similar to the Manhunter mechanic, but only within a certain radius of the killed animal.

Animals should have cubs, pups which follow the adults.
The same system that allows tamed animals to follow pawns should have young animals follow  adult animals. Adult bears should be more likely in the Spring-time to have 1-2 bear cubs, and those adult bears should be aggressive to anyone moving close to those cubs. Wolves and other pack animals should have 1-3 adult wolves following a single Alpha wolf. Possibly, the Wildness of each animal increases as it gets older, so capturing young pups and taming them becomes a useful skill.

Carnivore Animals should make sounds.
1.0 adds a lot of tools so the user knows what carnivores are around, and when a carnivore is hunting a pawn, and that's awesome. A sound file of a Wolf Howling, or Lion roaring, or a fox...doing whatever a fox does, could give similar indications to the user.

Animal Locations should be micro-terrain dependent.
IRL, animals will congregate around water holes, or change they behavior at different times of day. Animals should have desired areas, and change based on time of day. At some point, the animal switches from a sleeping area with no restrictions, to moving within a radius of water, with preference being given to moving water.

Item 'Fetch' Quests should also be used as a Visitor mechanic.
Quests are currently given by factions, and the player receives items, good will, etc by completing the terms of the mission. This should also be used by visitors to the player's faction, and near identical except for there being no required travel.
"8 travellers from the Blue Danube faction have arrived and request 16 Meals, and 8 beds for the night. They offer you X, Y, Z."

"2 ranchers have arrived and request to purchase 3 Muffalo. They offer 3 Smokeweed and 50 silver."

"5 tribal warriors appear and demand 9 firearms. They offer XYZ in trade. They may attack if not appeased."

"9 Soldiers from the Blue Danube faction appear on the outskirts of your settlement, they are heavily armed make no moves to attack. They are sending a envoy to make a demand. They appear to know your prisoner, and wish to offer a ransom." (Similar to trading caravan, except a different composition, area they stay in, and different actions for the 'leader'.)

"A local faction requests your assistance defending their settlement from a raid. They are a farming settlement 0.8 days travel away, and are unable to meet the tribute demands of a ronin warlord. They are a settlement of 15 pawns and have wood, stone and steel resources, but have no experience building defenses or crafting weapons. They request seven of your magnificent warriors to assist them build defenses, craft weapons, and fight. The warlord will return on Day XYZ." (The Player/Raid/Ally mechanic already exists, but instead of defending the player settlement, the player defends another allied settlement. There should be a known day for the attack, but with the player able to show up before hand to prepare. 7 Samurai/Magnificent 7 style.)

Klomster

Those ideas are magnificent RAAAARGH.

However, i wouldn't call them cheap ideas.

I still want them though.

DariusWolfe

Quote from: Klomster on July 11, 2018, 03:51:47 AM
Those ideas are magnificent RAAAARGH.

However, i wouldn't call them cheap ideas.

I still want them though.

Fully concur. I like all of those ideas, and think at least half of them would be 'expensive'.