Your Cheapest Ideas

Started by Tynan, October 09, 2013, 12:17:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CodyRex123

Quote from: king komodo on November 20, 2013, 11:00:05 PM
I think the assassin job is slightly lacking in 1 area which is that while it makes sense for most of the blocked tasks to be blocked they should still be able to haul things I mean most of their job would require them to haul a dead body to a hiding place among other things so why block that along with every other manual labor type job (not saying they should be all unblocked just that one that I can tell). And maybe later you can add a teaching mechanic so someone who's aptitude at something is above a certain level (8-10) they can teach others with no knowledge of this skill to be able to do it (although they start at 0). Also while I know that this may be harder/more expensive to do what someone has done should affect how they react to certain situation such as a marine being more resistant to seeing people die/dead bodies and miners being better accustomed to the dark etc. while I'm certain this will come into play more when you update the game so the character traits actually do something instead of being fun story bits as you say it would be nice to have some of these "invisible" ones there too.
Yes that makes sense, i say all for that one
Dragons!

Necronomocoins

An extra equipment slot, line of sight, melee weapons that increase melee damage/defence and non weapon equipment (science scanner, motion detector, mineral scanner). With line of sight and limited visual range (like in Eclipse Colony), could have cctv as a researchable and eventually get full map view with comms. console and a view screen or something, but needs to be manned. Water could just be a darker square for damp, light blue for shallow and dark blue for deep. A flamethrower! Wood and wooden torches, Low tech versions of everything that can be low tech. Locked/unlocked open/closed state for doors that are connected to power.

ShadowDragon8685

Quote from: jjgoldman on November 28, 2013, 11:37:17 AM
Maybe Tynan can change the colour of the food dispenser when it is "prison" accessible or not?
Raiders must die!

EarthyTurtle

Let R4 Charged Rifles have a chance of causing fires/fire damage begin energy based weapons :D?

Ender

Quote from: TinnedEpic on November 29, 2013, 01:01:26 AM
Let R4 Charged Rifles have a chance of causing fires/fire damage begin energy based weapons :D?

genius! i always figured that was how it always was, but after looking into it, it isn't so ya! and thats gotta be fairly easy to do.
The voices in my head tell me to burn colonists....

ShadowDragon8685

Quote from: king komodo on November 20, 2013, 11:00:05 PM
I think the assassin job is slightly lacking in 1 area which is that while it makes sense for most of the blocked tasks to be blocked they should still be able to haul things I mean most of their job would require them to haul a dead body to a hiding place among other things so why block that along with every other manual labor type job (not saying they should be all unblocked just that one that I can tell). And maybe later you can add a teaching mechanic so someone who's aptitude at something is above a certain level (8-10) they can teach others with no knowledge of this skill to be able to do it (although they start at 0). Also while I know that this may be harder/more expensive to do what someone has done should affect how they react to certain situation such as a marine being more resistant to seeing people die/dead bodies and miners being better accustomed to the dark etc. while I'm certain this will come into play more when you update the game so the character traits actually do something instead of being fun story bits as you say it would be nice to have some of these "invisible" ones there too.

I have to agree with this, 110%. Assassins should not be unwilling to do ManualDumb tasks, only ManualSkilled. They may have utterly no experience or interest in doing things like construction or farming, but an assassin's job definitely involves cleaning up after themselves and hauling the bodies.

So I see nothing wrong with handing them a broom and telling them to sweep - and they could help pitch the bodies into the graves after the orgy of violence they inevitably assist in perpetrating.
Raiders must die!

TheDirtyMailman

It really annoys me that raiders can kill my turrets with grenades. So, perhaps some blast-resistant walls that turrets can shoot over, but grenades cannot pass through

I doubt concrete walls could be severely impacted by molotov cocktails

Blowtorch - Highly damaging to structures, potentially lights fires

Fire Extinguisher - Allows an area (3x3 maybe) to be stifled at once. Only useable after firefighting level 5.

Windows  (with and without bars) - light can pass through, can shoot through, but pawns cannot go through

Some kind of double door

Overhead lamps - don't show up after installed unless zoomed in on

Fences - Like walls, but won't automatically create a roof when a closed space is made with them

The ability to remove roofs

ShadowDragon8685

How about a lightning rod - protects a large-ish area from lightning strikes by attracting bolts that would otherwise hit within that zone to itself.

This way, you don't have to worry so much about your outdoor agave and raspberry farms being burnt down by dry lightning storms.
Raiders must die!

todofwar

Blast walls, definitely. Some kind of reinforced outer wall that I can use for more effective defenses.

Other idea: shooting target, and new task: training. Colonists can have practice firing be a new thing on the priority list. Would give all those nobles and assasins something to do.

EarthyTurtle

Oh oh! circuit breakers!

Could be useful to separate batteries from the main power grid so they don't dump all their power when a faulty conductor explodes.

ShadowDragon8685

You want an idea? Here's an idea.

During a solar flare, or otherwise at times when the colony has no functioning paste dispenser, disable all food hauling jobs.

It does me no good to have an epic stockpile of raw food if it's in the replicator pattern buffer, dwarven quantum stockpile, or magical extradimensional space, and I can't it out because the paste dispenser is depowered.

Alternatively, allow colonists to procure raw food from the stockpile, if there's no paste dispenser.
Raiders must die!

king komodo

Quote from: TinnedEpic on November 29, 2013, 11:29:50 PM
Oh oh! circuit breakers!

Could be useful to separate batteries from the main power grid so they don't dump all their power when a faulty conductor explodes.
good idea
Quote from: ShadowDragon8685 on November 29, 2013, 11:00:10 PM
How about a lightning rod - protects a large-ish area from lightning strikes by attracting bolts that would otherwise hit within that zone to itself.

This way, you don't have to worry so much about your outdoor agave and raspberry farms being burnt down by dry lightning storms.

Good idea
Quote from: TheDirtyMailman on November 29, 2013, 10:31:54 PM
It really annoys me that raiders can kill my turrets with grenades. So, perhaps some blast-resistant walls that turrets can shoot over, but grenades cannot pass through

I doubt concrete walls could be severely impacted by molotov cocktails

Blowtorch - Highly damaging to structures, potentially lights fires

Fire Extinguisher - Allows an area (3x3 maybe) to be stifled at once. Only useable after firefighting level 5.

Windows  (with and without bars) - light can pass through, can shoot through, but pawns cannot go through

Some kind of double door

Overhead lamps - don't show up after installed unless zoomed in on

Fences - Like walls, but won't automatically create a roof when a closed space is made with them

The ability to remove roofs

And mostly good ideas IMO only 2 I'm iffy on (but would not shoot down or mind having in the game) are the fence and the overhead lamp just not sure about them is all but would be nice to have at some point although sooner rather than later.

ShadowDragon8685

Fire extinguishers. Dear god, we need fire extinguishers, even if it's a research item. Let it be like, a 1x1 equipment rack that you build and it comes with a fire extinguisher when constructed. They can only hold extinguishers, and the normal weapon-hauling behaviors can be subverted to allow colonists to haul fire extinguishers which have fallen to the ground back to the holders. (Make them unsellable when selling weapons, of course.)

Have it extinguish a 3x3 area when used manually. They shouldn't be TOO useful as a weapon, but not completely useless (using a fire extinguisher to stun and disorient an opponent is a time-honored technique of improvised fighting in an urban area.) something like small damage and a very high chance to stun. Ideally, they should extinguish a cone or something, but for simplicity's sake in these early rounds, you could call them "foam grenades" and have them thrown like a grenade.
Raiders must die!

TheDirtyMailman

Quote from: todofwar on November 29, 2013, 11:03:07 PM
Blast walls, definitely. Some kind of reinforced outer wall that I can use for more effective defenses.

Other idea: shooting target, and new task: training. Colonists can have practice firing be a new thing on the priority list. Would give all those nobles and assasins something to do.
Yeah! They could even not conduct power.

Also. we really need some way to use the debris. Maybe like a debris processor of some kind that expels metal and uses power. Because I seriouslt don't know what to do with all of this slag debris.

Renoch

I'd love to see the an option to cause raider corpses and dropped weapons to be allowed for hauling from the moment they spawn, like a toggle. It gets annoying when I kill a pack of bandits with a blasting charge and I have to hunt for the dropped weapons, especially when there's several of them already in my equipment racks.

Part of my wants to see a manned turret, though I doubt that'd be cheap, since a colonist would have to jump onto it.

Another odd thought was a human-powered generator, like a stationary bike generator or something similar. Could be set for use by colonists or prisoners, so I can get something out of them for eating up my nutrient paste.   >:(

On that line, exercise equipment, like a gym. Set it around the cleaning or researching priority level, so colonists don't go working out instead of growing potatoes and such. The cardio equipment could generate power, the weight equipment could put points towards their ManualDumb skills, and it could all generate happiness from giving the colonists a productive output for their frustrations. ( +5 happiness "Got to vent on the punching bag today" ).