Your Cheapest Ideas

Started by Tynan, October 09, 2013, 12:17:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arbust

How about planetary traits asigned to the world when it gets created, say you have a planet with longer days so on the plus side solar panels get more energy but colonist get unhappy. or a planet rich in gas, so it spawns with more gas outputs or each gas output gets more energy but it harms colonists when outside (obiously little life).

Then maybe a raider how can break out of arrest.

we could have weapons drop along side debris and food/metal when ship crash.

the game talks about " no staying forever in the planet" how about starting the game with a part of the hull where you first crush. This could be an unmoveable object that would need alot of resourses or/and a special reserch tu fix, kind of Age of Empires Wonder. And when finished have the option to leave the planet. (this is no so "cheap" but sill wanted to added)

Cider

Well I had the idea of a personal terminal, basically it'll raise happiness and can be used to improve certain skills but it'll take a lot of time out of their schedules to do their jobs.

Greentears

hmm dont know how hard this would be could you just make it so people you capture are slaves? I just find it hard to believe that i can win over someone who was just trying to kill me :P and sort of just make it so you can push them more than your people and not give a toss if they go a bit nuts, you could even put some sort of slave bomb collar on them?

I know i am evil and crazy but hey I want to live in this world :D

JKTD1919

Few ideas:

-First, not sure if this one would be cheap, but: Drill. Requires research. Requires power. Drills a geothermic vent. Can fail/explode. Maybe 3x3, geothermic vent is created in the center, drill must be sold to build Geothermic Generator.

-Motion detecting lights: Would work much like auto-turrets, but instead of killing things on sight, would turn on on sight. Would also turn off when no one is around. Requires research(?)

-Non enclosing walls; maybe more durable?

-Improved roofs research option; maybe can stand further away from supports? Or maybe vaulted ceilings, to decrease the amount of XY space that is required for colonists to not feel cramped.

-Lightning rods/generator; requires research, keeps lightning from damaging a certain range, generates vast amounts of energy when batteries are hooked up. Diverts excess energy into the ground.

-Wall lamps

-Underground conduits; so they don't take up as much space.

-Double sided equipment rack.

-Bunk - sleeps multiple prisoners/colonists.

-Couch

-More potted plants; different colored flowers, shrubs, bushes, etc.

-Fences and gates; keep animals out without having to enclose farms.

-Handler class; like Warden except for animals.

-Vet class; like Doctoring except for animals.

-Patrol class; colonist patrols a designated zone for threats. Auto-drafts when threat is detected.

-Animal capture; requires lasso/traps.

-Some sort of beast of burden; bull-like, horse-like, mule-like. Requires same process as "recruitment," except called "Breaking." Can be used to haul more, grow more efficiently. Requires "cleaning-up" after and feeding. Fed by Handlers. Small chance to be injured on the job.

-Hay for animals to sleep on.

-Research: shoes for animals, saddle/reins/etc.

-More crops; need to acquire seeds which require research, or are attained from traders or crashed ships. Perhaps Oaf recruitment yields small chance of getting new seed type.

-Smooth-out mineshaft walls.

-Metal detector; equipment allows for seeing minerals deeper into walls than just one block.

-Caverns; must be mined into to discover. Same as outdoors, but hidden until mined into. Rock fllor, rock walls. Maybe geothermic vents?

-Mushrooms and other fungi grow in dark. (Found in caverns.)

-Cooking options: Multiple tiers. Higher tiers less likely to set fires; T1 Open campfire, T2 Fire pit, T3 Fire Grill, T4 Electric Stove, T5 Oven, T6 Microwave oven (penalty to happiness?) Require research. Also (not cheap part) Maybe higher tiers (up until microwave) are less likely to burn food.

-Overcooked/Undercooked food: Multiple tiers. T1: Raw (-12 Happiness, 0 Fear when eaten), T2: Undercooked (-10 Happiness, 0 Fear when eaten), T3: Cooked (+3 Happiness, 0 Fear when eaten), T4: Overcooked (-8 Happiness, 0 Fear when eaten), T5: Burnt (-12 Happiness, 0 Fear when eaten.)

-Nuked food: Microwaved. (-5 Happiness, 0 Fear when eaten)

-Prisoner-accessible doors (so I can build a mess hall or rec center :D)

-Prisoners try to escape during power outages, depending on loyalty.

-Trench: slow down movement like sandbags, provide cover when standing in. Do not provide cover for standing behind.

-Bunker walls: Requires research. Can be shot through, provide cover, and are roofable. Possibly don't conduct electricity? Resists explosives from the outside, flame retardant.

-Streetlights: More durable, provide vast amounts of light when outside, cannot be roofed in.

-Chef class; has lesser chance of burning/overcooking/undercooking meals depending on aptitude.

-Blast doors; Require research, can only be opened from terminals, flame retardant, resist explosives. Can be forced open by sapper raiders.

-Sapper raiders; can dismantle auto-turrets, cut through walls and blast doors (over the course of several hours.)

-More happiness items; lampshades, desk, different kinds of chairs (office, lounge, recliner, etc.) bookshelves

-Water supplies; rivers, lakes, etc. Possibly able to drill water wells. Story event; draught. Crops begin to die, animals die of thirst, wells and rivers dry up, intense heat creates exhaustion. Colonists should need to drink water.

-Sewage system; toilets, pipes, and septic tanks all fall under on research category; water purifiers which require research, and a biofuel generator which requires research and turns waste into energy. Before researching sewage (0 Happiness, 0 Fear), chamber pots (-15 Happiness, 0 Fear), or outhouses (-5 Happiness, 0 Fear.)

-Check/Uncheck all button on Overview screen.

-Automatic pause on opening Overview screen.

-Robots which can perform firefighting, constructing, repairing, mining, plant cutting, hauling, and cleaning tasks (each task requires additional research. Should be too unwieldy to grow plants.

-Mechanic class; like warden except for robots. Repairs robots as needed. Even-more-Not-so-cheap idea: Depending on aptitude of the last mechanic to repair the robot, chance of shorting out, exploding, shutting down, or going rogue.

-Power sockets for robots to return to (beds for robots.)

-More weapons; flamethrower, gas cans which burn until put out when damaged, throwable knives, RPG, Incendiary grenade, baseball bat, crowbar, wrench, screwdriver, hammer, nail gun, saw, gloves.

-Non-lethal weapons; tazer, mace cans, EMP grenades which knock out power in a certain range, lasso, some kind of weaponized incapacitating drug (darts or melee syringes).

-This one has been mentioned before: Negative damage; threshold between incapacitation and death. Death at -10. Incapacitation at 0. If a unit takes damage that drops them below 0, halve the remaining damage. If the HP falls below -10, the unit dies. If the -10<HP<0, the unit survives, is incapacitated, and continues to bleed out until rescued.

-Field medkits: bandages stop bleeding, certain drugs provide extra HP, certain drugs cut incoming damage by a certain percentage (person on morphene or adrenaline feels less damage than a person not.)

-Improved doctoring system: more than just feeding people. Maybe some injuries require bandaging, surgery, or drugs instead of just nursing. Success of said operations should be based on aptitude and difficulty of operation.

-Events where prisoners become disorderly and/or attempt to escape. Makes me feel better about telling the warden to beat them.

-Floods which require pumps to keep the colony from flooding inside the walls. Floods damage electrical systems, crops, and furniture, and creates an excess of filth.

-Mentioned before: Dismantle option for furniture instead of sell and buy again to relocate. Also available for turrets.

-Practice dummy/target practice furniture. Improves shooting/melee skills when there are no raiders to defend from.

-Personal lockers which can be claimed by colonists; raise happiness.

-Mentioned SO many times: FIRE EXTINGUISHER. Takes up equipment slot. Requires research.

-Craftable equipment. Fire ext. (increases aptitude for firefighting), hoe (increase aptitude for growing), rake (increase aptitude for growing), power tools (increase aptitude for constructing/repairing), hand tools (increase aptitude for constructing/repairing), pickaxe (increase aptitude for mining), wheelbarrow (increase carrying capacity, lowers walking speed, increases aptitude for hauling), backpack (increase carrying capacity, lowers walking speed, increases aptitude for hauling), machete (increases aptitude for plant cutting), vacuum (increases aptitude for cleaning), broom (increases aptitude for cleaning), dust pan and brush (increases aptitude for cleaning), surgical equipment (increases aptitude for doctoring), handcuffs (increases aptitude for warden), all other equipment I listed above.

-Engineering/Crafting class.

-Crafting table; like research table, but for crafting equipment. Equipment must be researched first before crafted.

-Recycler to melt down slag into metal. Requires research.

-Grinder to grind down rock debris. Requires research.

-Heater/AC Unit: requires energy, requires research. Boosts happiness.

Phew! I think that's everything I thought of in my first day of playing. Apologies if some of these aren't as cheap as I think they are (most of them probably aren't... Sorry.)
Os iusti meditabitur sapientian, et lingua eius loquetur iudicium. Venerit vir qui sufferit tentationem.

Ender

JKTD dude, i freaking love you (no homo) but man, soooo many great ideas, 98% of them should, and i feel are planned on being in the game, jeesh, just amazing.
The voices in my head tell me to burn colonists....

ShadowDragon8685

Here's a thought...

Walls should gain HP if they're built on something exceptionally sturdy, and lose HP if they're built on something exceptionally un-sturdy.

For instance, "Sturdy" would mean "any hard type of constructed floor," IE, metal tiles/concrete/paving tiles/smoothed stone," and exceptionally un-sturdy would be sand and gravel. Soil, rough stone, and carpet would give the same HP values we have now.

Also,  when a wall or a door is built over a conduit, it should discount the wall/door the cost of the conduit, and/or auto-sell the conduit.
Raiders must die!

enderstenders

Building: Mining Drill. Costs 1000 metal, but mines beneath the surface and slowly extracts metal. It would dump metal deposits on the ground beside the drill for colonists to haul to dumping areas.

First off, this idea sounds easily exploitable, but you could make it so drills are only placeable over geothermal vents or maybe a different rare deposit that could be added to the game. Currently metal is the only way to construct things, but it is a non-renewable source and is not that easy to come across.

Another way of making it easier to obtain metal is to add a research for communication boost. It would allow the colony to send out signals to passing trading vessels. The player could specify which vessel they would like, and in this case, industrial traders. Of course, metal-thieves may receive the signal as well, and with broadcasting for vessels may attract unwanted guests.

I know this game is still not even in Alpha, so I'm sure the system is getting balanced out and will probably be completely different down the road. I'm excited to see where this game takes us!

JKTD1919

Os iusti meditabitur sapientian, et lingua eius loquetur iudicium. Venerit vir qui sufferit tentationem.

CodyRex123

What we really need is what minecraft kinda did, chunks or what ever to genrate the map as you exspore, so other things that mean like another tribe of people showing up could work abit better
Dragons!

JKTD1919

Yeah, open-world concept would be nice, but let's not call it "Minecraft." Open, generate-as-you-go, worlds have been around far longer than Minecraft.

ShadowDragon8685

Quote from: CodyRex123 on December 01, 2013, 03:17:48 AMWhat we really need is what minecraft kinda did, chunks or what ever to genrate the map as you exspore, so other things that mean like another tribe of people showing up could work abit better

This thread was intended for cheap ideas. This is pretty much the exact opposite of a cheap idea, on par with "give us Z-levels" and "Let's have the ability to play on an airless rock."

(Both of which I think are good ideas, but the exact opposite of cheap ideas.)
Raiders must die!

JKTD1919

This thread has been everything BUT cheap ideas from like the third post; and I completely agree with you that people should respect the cheap requirement. However, most people that get on here seem to be too inexperienced to understand the difference between cheap and expensive. A lot of people are even disregarding the requirement and just posting whatever they feel like here (probably much to the annoyance of Ty.)

king komodo

Quote from: JKTD1919 on December 01, 2013, 05:13:15 PM
This thread has been everything BUT cheap ideas from like the third post; and I completely agree with you that people should respect the cheap requirement. However, most people that get on here seem to be too inexperienced to understand the difference between cheap and expensive. A lot of people are even disregarding the requirement and just posting whatever they feel like here (probably much to the annoyance of Ty.)

I am willing to bet that the reason for that is not many people know how to code and therefore think it's easier than it really is, but yeah not many of them are cheap but 1 really expensive idea or a list of cheap and semi cheap ones with the expensive ones tossed in there for good measure which is probably part of the reason this next update seems to be taking so long (though I'm willing to bet it's a mix of everything).

mmMike

How about a way to measure tiles? Like say you hold down alt or something and drag out lines while the game shows you the length. Just to make it easier to plan things out and build walls of specific lengths without having to count.

fanatics

really any kind of melee weapon/combatant simply put a item that bolsters damage when unarmed, maybe if a someone has a breakdown and goes total batshit crazy, maybe move faster and have slightly higher hp