Your Cheapest Ideas

Started by Tynan, October 09, 2013, 12:17:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xanting

Quote from: converging on June 01, 2015, 08:22:28 AM
Maintenance: everything should slowly/slightly randomly deteriorate over time (i.e. machines, tables, doors, etc.) and require repairs, this will add aggro in the late game so that you always need one or more "handyman" running aroung fixing things

This actually used to be an in game mechanic several versions ago. It was probably removed for some reason.

nmid

Quote from: Sjaa on May 23, 2015, 05:22:07 PM
Colonists take x*y materials needed for x crafting jobs with them to table.

Now: Colonists have 5 runs left, each taking 10 materials.  Colonist grabs 10 from stockpile, hauls to table, finishes, hauls product back to stockpile (repeats 5 more times).

Implemented: Same as above, but colonist grabs 50 materials and hauls to table, doing 5 runs before hauling all materials back to stockpile.

It may not seem like much, but I spend a large amount of time each game making mini-stockpiles next to each crafting table that holds the ingredients needed for the jobs, just so my colonists don't walk far (can easily waste most of the day hauling otherwise)

Big yes.. This would reduce MM quite a bit.
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. StorymasterQ

Jorlem

Animals marked for hunting should always be allowed for hauling upon death.  Quite frequently my hunters will wound some animal, but not outright kill it, so it dies of blood loss some time later.  When that happens, the corpse is marked as forbidden for interaction, so it just sits there and rots away, unless I manually unforbid it so a hauler can take it to my freezer.

Nekomimi

Checking backgrounds of dead bodies.

We have name and "job" they had, but was that dead body always an assasin? Was he born as slave, or maybe he was asteroid miner?
Have you fell here from the sky
Have you been trapped under stone
We're all glad that you survive
This is now your only home

Born in the primitive tribe
Joined the pirates in their cove
The past doesn't matter now
The Vault Seven is your home

Kraehe

Maybe as backstory or artificial heart.

Is the character dies (the heart stops), it explode like a granade. Good for brawlers to take some guys with him but bad if someone dies because of some disease in your base or dies otherwise in your base or near allies.

Wild Card

Would stackable weapons, apparel,etc, in the stockpile zone  be cheap?
I mean you can stack potatoes and wood logs in the stockpile up to 75 in a square, could you not do the same for something like 5 pistols? or 5 shirts? or 10 socks ?
A power armor could take 1 square, while 5 survival rifles might fit in the same square, dimension wise.

Kegereneku

I'm afraid it's not cheap at all, it's even costly.
I remember Tynan say that even if inside a rack/locker, the problem is getting an interface that allow to know and select what's in quick. Plus problem of priority as Pawn reserve the items they are going to carry.
"Sam Starfall joined your colony"
"Sam Starfall left your colony with all your valuable"
-------
Write an Event
[Story] Write an ending ! (endless included)
[Story] Imagine a Storyteller !

akiceabear

Quote from: Kegereneku on June 04, 2015, 08:09:16 AM
I'm afraid it's not cheap at all, it's even costly.
I remember Tynan say that even if inside a rack/locker, the problem is getting an interface that allow to know and select what's in quick. Plus problem of priority as Pawn reserve the items they are going to carry.

Just to clarify for Wild Card - the reason deeper stacks of those objects it isn't trivial is that the items mentioned (guns, armor) are not all identical - they all have varying quality/condition. A simple solution is just stacking them blindly, which brings the problem Kegereneku mentions. To make the interface handle them elegantly likely takes some serious consideration and testing (not sure about actual programming).

Wild Card

Could they not be sorted by type and quality simultaneously? like 5 terrible t shirts 5 shod pistols etc. ?
Just asking because if this is hard to implement than it defies the point of the thread

Technical Ben

Animal Husbandry. I assume an area check if another is close by. Would spawn a new animal of the same kind, but with random or mixed variety of the parents. To reduce CPU load, could also have breeding seasons so only checks certain times. That and limit the search to when there is another creature in the same zone perhaps? Or just have a timer where it searches out a mate after a specific time (least CPU intensive of the ideas).

To aid to a colonists exploit of this, a taser type weapon. The game already has "unconscious" and "emp". The taser would be slow to use, so no good against other combatants, except possibly one. Also could have limited power so only work on smaller creatures. After colonists could then carry animals to zones designated for tame/farmed animals. They would then wake up and start being milked used by the colony.

Dr. Solomon

I doubt the devs will read this, and im not even sure if it has been suggested before
How about being able to negotiate with raiders? They might want silver, all our resources in the stockpile, a random colonist to enslave, or something like that so they do not attack us.
The negotiation might go well or bad based on the social skill of the character that we send to negotiate. The raiders that prepare before an attack might want to negotiate and the ones that attack immediately could stay the same.
To be honest it feels like this should have been implemented a long time ago, i dont feel like it would be too good or too bad, since the raiders requirements can be balanced.

And just another obvious suggestion that is very popular as far as i know, so it wont hurt if i post here. Being able to visit another colonies to make the relation between us better, or to attack and raid them ourselves, possibly eradicating them, generating other colonies around the world. I've seen this numerous times and it sounds too good to be true, i hope it gets implemented before the official release.

Kraehe

Not sure if its an cheap idea but what about some kind of a killcounter for each colonist (seperatet for animals and humans).

Some mechanic that it is possible to force your colonists to go play pool/chess etc.

MrWiggles

Quote from: Technical Ben on June 04, 2015, 03:53:43 PM
Animal Husbandry. I assume an area check if another is close by. Would spawn a new animal of the same kind, but with random or mixed variety of the parents. To reduce CPU load, could also have breeding seasons so only checks certain times. That and limit the search to when there is another creature in the same zone perhaps? Or just have a timer where it searches out a mate after a specific time (least CPU intensive of the ideas).
The problem that prevent this from being simple, is the barn. You need a place to store animals when its cold. That might even require new art. You'll also need new plant to grow to produce feed for them.

The other problem that would make this not cheap, is that it would most defiantly require new UI screen.
Quote from: Wild Card on June 04, 2015, 03:32:42 PM
Could they not be sorted by type and quality simultaneously? like 5 terrible t shirts 5 shod pistols etc. ?
Just asking because if this is hard to implement than it defies the point of the thread
Have you seen the trade screen and clothes? Thats it doing grouping as much as possible.
It is not pretty!

Wild Card

True but its just alpha 10. From what i gather Tynan`s recipe for success is making many iteration, u know like improving on what u already have bit by bit. adding more stuff, improving that and so on and so forth
So if it would get implemented (the stacking of more stuff i mean) yes it would be ugly and cumbersome for a few alphas but eventually if will get fleshed out nicely i think ( again we`re just in alpha 10 )
Also my point of view is only valid if this is something that could be added. if it`s not feasible,  well than it wont get added

Kraehe

Animals who start a friendship with a colonist will follow him/her everywhere, including the base (and maybe defend him against other animals/raiders). They only go away to eat and then come back.

Just see this guy as his best best friend forever.