Your Cheapest Ideas

Started by Tynan, October 09, 2013, 12:17:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrashMan

Quote from: tomtomtech on October 25, 2014, 05:52:08 AM
I have a few ideas...

Make it so when you kill a mech you can create a assembly table to recreate it. it would also be cool if you could buy them of traders but would be really expensive.
They would act exactly like colonists but would not require food and can't suffer mental difficulties but would have to enter a charging station to charge like a colonist sleeps. there would be different types...

-Cleaner (cheapest) just cleans any dirt extremely fast
-Cook (quite pricey) just cooks extremely fast
-Guard (Really expensive) Guards the colony and will use its built in machine gun on anything aggressive
-Medic(Quite pricey) Heals extremely well

Also the charging stations do require power and so if the electric is out then they can become useless and will be frozen in place.

HMmmm...

I can see drones/robots that do simple stuff - cleaning, hauling, wood chopping, mining. Dumb labor.
Things that require more sophisticated AI are a liability

christhekiller

Can we get a way to deselect weapons en-masse in the Weapon Rack storage screen.

I like to have one rack for each weapon and no more, so presently I have to click 20+ times through 20+ weapon racks and that gets tedious very fast.

Cimanyd

Quote from: christhekiller on October 28, 2014, 11:03:11 AM
Can we get a way to deselect weapons en-masse in the Weapon Rack storage screen.

I like to have one rack for each weapon and no more, so presently I have to click 20+ times through 20+ weapon racks and that gets tedious very fast.
Oct 9 changelog
  • Added disallow-all button to storage settings panel.
Some sort of psychic wave has swept over the landscape. Your colonists are okay, but...
It seems many of the scythers in the area have been driven insane.

Captain Meow

Quick hunting improvements

-While a colonist is on a hunting job, they get a bonus similar to the 'Careful shooter' trait, but twice or triple its effect.

-While a colonist is on a hunting job, the max range of the weapon is reduced by 50%. Or even better, dynamic reduction based on shooting skill and the weapon's spread.

- When a hunter is about to fire their weapon, aiming countdown is reset if there are any colonists within it's firing cone and within it's line of sight. Since this check would only occur once every shot, it would barely affect performance.

-Hunting priority (1,2,3. Left blank=Don't hunt.)
[ ] Marked for hunting
[ ] Within zones (home, growing, etc.)
[ ] Everything else (non-marked and out of zones)

Not sure if doable in 4 hours, but still. This simple system would give you a huge amount of control over how hunters act. You may want your unskilled hunters not to hunt near your base in fear of accidents, or you may want a skilled hunter(or melee hunter) to focus on pest control near your base and growing areas. You could make colonists hunt only what you designate, or they could hunt automatically as new wildlife spawns or walks into zones.

SpaceDorf

Supreme Commander Zoom

I want to be able to Zoom out until the whole map is visible on the screen.

Optional, Zoom in on the position of the mousecursor
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

tom_kazansky

Don't recenter on citizens while using "," "." or make ">","<" do the same w/o recentering. (so i can order my dudes into fight positions quickly.

Obb

Make a warning pop up whenever someone tries hunting unarmed.

Thorin

Quote from: Obb on October 30, 2014, 01:58:05 AM
Make a warning pop up whenever someone tries hunting unarmed.

If this is because of fresh colonist, then:
I would suggest this in a different form of an idea:
Hunting disabled when joining the colony.

Because we already have "sort of warning" for this in a different form:
"somebody successfully recruited someone".
Most of the time you're also going to re-equip them with better stuff and/or reorganize their priorities, so why not switching off hunting too.

I like to send out hunters to melee with their fist, just kicks for who is going to win.
The Mad Squirrel in the right corner or Mrs/Mr Brawler in the left.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"

skullywag

Agree on the disable hunting on recruit. I do i religously myself now but not everyone remembers.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

Sir

One thing I'd really like to see is a stat counter of my gameplay time, both overall and colony-specific. It could be a part of the history tab or a separate thing in the esc. menu, but it'd be great to have since Steam isn't automatically doing it for me yet.
Check out my Suggestions!
Pt. 1 & Pt. 2

Leemster

How about set positions. So you set all your colonists positions, save that position and when raiders come you just press a button and all the colonists go to their set place and are drafted, there is something like this in FTL and it is super amazing.

Ruin

Quote from: Leemster on October 30, 2014, 02:04:14 PM
How about set positions. So you set all your colonists positions, save that position and when raiders come you just press a button and all the colonists go to their set place and are drafted, there is something like this in FTL and it is super amazing.

This one would be super sweet.  You could even have 2-3 set position saves if you wanted to go nuts.  But, one for the "here come the raiders" scramble is just a must.

togt

Just thought of a few things:
- Have small raider/tribe groups arrive un-announced, only announce the big ones.
- Let animals (boomrats, snakes) steal food once in a while, to keep us alert, aware of pest-control.

Stan-K

Some procedure/operation to help with mental breakdowns.

I was thinking e.g.:

• Lobotomy. Surprisingly common in the 40's and 50's, it helped dealing with mental breakdowns. Albeit at the loss of personality, intellectual capabilities, and with a significant chance of unintended brain damage and even death.
  • Happiness chip. Less grounded in reality, but only slightly more advanced than the bionic eye I think. Implant a chip for let's say +5 happiness.
  • Nerve Staple. A relatively simple procedure that would remove/reduce mood modifiers until a colonist develops immunity for it. Other colonists would be slightly unhappy for this to have been done to a fellow colonist, or even prisoner. (Borrowed from Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri where you could nerve staple an entire city to remove any (un)happiness and stop them from rioting. It was considered an atrocity though)

Wex

Quote from: Stan-K on October 31, 2014, 10:30:28 AM
Some procedure/operation to help with mental breakdowns.

I was thinking e.g.:

• Lobotomy. Surprisingly common in the 40's and 50's, it helped dealing with mental breakdowns. Albeit at the loss of personality, intellectual capabilities, and with a significant chance of unintended brain damage and even death.
  • Happiness chip. Less grounded in reality, but only slightly more advanced than the bionic eye I think. Implant a chip for let's say +5 happiness.
  • Nerve Staple. A relatively simple procedure that would remove/reduce mood modifiers until a colonist develops immunity for it. Other colonists would be slightly unhappy for this to have been done to a fellow colonist, or even prisoner. (Borrowed from Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri where you could nerve staple an entire city to remove any (un)happiness and stop them from rioting. It was considered an atrocity though)
You could grab one of those pesky AI, using psionic powers to make your colonist go nuts, repourpose it, build a structure, and having it think happy toughts.
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
    Harlan Ellison