Question about the Graphics (hands/legs of people)

Started by humblebundle, February 13, 2016, 05:46:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

humblebundle

Hey there!
First i love this game but i have one question about it because i could not found any informations on the FAQ or web.
Will you change(/increase the quality of) the graphics and add stuff like visible hands and legs on later/final release?
What speaks against high quality graphics?
english is not my main language, that should explain a lot...

Mkok

The rimworlders have no hands or legs. They evolved into that state after long evolution in space  ;D

Therefore their hands and legs are already animated  :)

Toggle

Selling broken colonist souls for two thousand gold. Accepting cash or credit.

Lys

Quote from: humblebundle on February 13, 2016, 05:46:42 PMWhat speaks against high quality graphics?
Creating the assets for hands/legs and especially animating them (hands probably individually for every possible action there is in the game) is an enormous amount of work for the artists and a lot of fiddling around programming wise. The way it currently is you can get away with it without having 3 trillion animations. And as long as the general artstyle is persistent, there is no issue with that (at least for most people, I guess).

humblebundle

Quote from: Lys on February 13, 2016, 06:48:10 PM
Quote from: humblebundle on February 13, 2016, 05:46:42 PMWhat speaks against high quality graphics?
Creating the assets for hands/legs and especially animating them (hands probably individually for every possible action there is in the game) is an enormous amount of work for the artists and a lot of fiddling around programming wise. The way it currently is you can get away with it without having 3 trillion animations. And as long as the general artstyle is persistent, there is no issue with that (at least for most people, I guess).
Sorry but thats totaly bs... take a look at prison architect, they do have hands, it's not that hard...they can up and down, nothing more, you don't need fingers.

MarcTheMerc

Prison architect may be a small company (introvesion) but their development team is larger then rimworlds.
Also I personaly love both games artstyles, with or without hands if anything if it makes developement easier I prefer without its just one of rimworlds Quirks.

Also the comedic value of wondering how colonist carry things.
"So weird looking, like a twisted hulk of man and machine both scary and... well scary i mean it would look like a crab with limbs on limbs."

Yay i have a mod now ''https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=20513.0''; It adds mercs

Lys

Quote from: humblebundle on February 14, 2016, 10:49:09 AM
Quote from: Lys on February 13, 2016, 06:48:10 PM
Sorry but thats totaly bs... take a look at prison architect, they do have hands, it's not that hard...they can up and down, nothing more, you don't need fingers.
So, you quote prison architect as "high quality graphics", as compared to rimworld? Well... then we have a totally different understanding of what "high quality" means.

Edit: Also, as I mentioned, there are tons of different actions that would require hand animations in rimworld. In prison architect the actions the people do are rather... limited.

Elixiar

I think it would be nice if there was at least shoulders, like actual shoulders not just body shape.
Then you would be able to see tank tops or shirts distinctively.

Yeah... That would be cool.
"We didn't crash here by accident... something brought us down". - Anon Rimworld Colonist

TheGentlmen

Go play Dwarf fortress, ignore all screenshots you find on the interwebs, the actual game has triple A graphics!
:D

After that come back here begging us for mercy.

Srsly tho, I like it with no hands...

StorymasterQ

Gentz, by Triple A graphics, do you mean that when we see them, we'll go "AAA!" because that would be apt, IMHO.
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here

TheGentlmen

Quote from: StorymasterQ on February 14, 2016, 07:51:37 PM
Gentz, by Triple A graphics, do you mean that when we see them, we'll go "AAA!" because that would be apt, IMHO.
Lol. But sadly not, by tiple A graphics I mean graphics like the ones in the Crysis Engine Demo Levels.

A Friend

IMO, Aesthetics > Graphics. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oK8UTRgvJU

And the game already looks pretty good right now. Doubt arms and legs would be added cause that's done purposely to remove some unnecessary work while creating a fitting art style.

Though other than that, I can see some parts that could be improved like shadows having the pawn's shape instead of just a rectangle that increases in length. Though I have no experience nor idea how code works and dunno if that's possible.
"For you, the day Randy graced your colony with a game-ending raid was the most memorable part of your game. But for Cassandra, it was Tuesday"

Squiggly lines you call drawings aka "My Deviantart page"

TheGentlmen

If I recall, shadows are made by scaling/rotating 3 different dark rectangles. You MIGHT be able to replace that with an outline of a pawn. The exact details I dont recall saddly.

TBH this game's graphics are miles ahead of DF. (I think of this game as a simpler DF BTW) I personly think the time's better spent on more UI (adding things like EDB interface and Fluffy's UI related mods (research menu, manger and power, ect)).

But that's just my opinion. Take it with a grain of salt. At the end of the day Ty does what he see's fit.

StorymasterQ

Quote from: TheGentlmen (GENTZ /'jen(t)z/) on February 15, 2016, 03:24:01 AM
At the end of the day Ty does what he see's fit.

Because, getting more than you can handle can lead to all sorts of butthurt. In all kinds of senses.
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here

humblebundle

Quote from: TheGentlmen (GENTZ /'jen(t)z/) on February 14, 2016, 06:12:09 PM
Go play Dwarf fortress, ignore all screenshots you find on the interwebs, the actual game has triple A graphics!
:D
Ok if you start trolling kids, even DF has better Graphics:
http://www.wired.com/2014/07/dwarf-fortress-3d/

no, seriously, look at for example Project Zomboid:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/108600/
It is made by two guys, who get their Source code stolen, but they do work since years on that game and it looks very nice for a two man project.
Rimworld has a very nice gameplay elements, but the graphics are kinda snes, yes there outside people who like the style, but whats the problem with like hands, or feet so you can actually see them changing? I don't talk about graphics YET, i talk about if they will be better on release or at least will there be hands, or will this game never evolve with graphics? :P
Oh and the graphics are at all very weird, the wood texture is very nice and good, but the others looks like made with windows paint and 16 colors, thats weird.
Maybe a fan made mod with hands? :P
Humans would be nothing without hands!