What do animals eat?

Started by nuschler22, March 20, 2016, 04:42:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nuschler22

Can someone advise me on what animals like to eat?

Do different animals like different foods?

Right now, I have huskies, muffalos, alpacas and deer in the pen.  The pen is filled with crops.  I am assuming that they are fine to eat the crops as they grow. Or do they need to be harvested for them to eat? 

Thanks for the help.

Zokora

Your animals can eat the crops before they are harvested.
The Husky can eat veggies and meat the others you have are veggetarians 😀.

You can grow hay for them.
They will also eat the Grass outside.
Or when you have to let them stay indoors you will see that they will also eat your flowers planted in the pots.

Wiki:  http://rimworldwiki.com/wiki/Animals

toledo23

Hi guys, I have hydroponics going in an arctic biome, so naturally that food is very precious.  A trading caravan came to visit, and some muffalo of theirs has wandered in to the hydroponic room and is eating my rice plants!!! How do I prevent this situation short of declaring war on the trading party?  I want to lock doors or something, but there's no option to do this.  Please help!  My hungry colonists will thank you!

Avis

Quote from: toledo23 on May 20, 2016, 05:18:26 AM

Hi guys, I have hydroponics going in an arctic biome, so naturally that food is very precious.  A trading caravan came to visit, and some muffalo of theirs has wandered in to the hydroponic room and is eating my rice plants!!! How do I prevent this situation short of declaring war on the trading party?  I want to lock doors or something, but there's no option to do this.  Please help!  My hungry colonists will thank you!
That'd be an excellent topic for a new thread.
I remember the days of giving prisoners peg legs, and then removing them to immobilize them.

carbon

Click on animal of interest.
Click on 'I' info button.
Look under 'Diet'.
You have all the information you could want.

Vaporisor

Quote from: toledo23 on May 20, 2016, 05:18:26 AM

If you are a roleplayer like me?  Kill the muffalo and let visitors be angry.  To do it without?  Devmode remove them.  It is cheaty, but only way to do it and be a good neighbour until we are allowed to have no visitor zones...

Oh, maybe that is the ticket.  "greenhouse" and "farm" zones, like bedrooms and rec rooms are.  Default visitors will not go to them is alternative available
Stories by Vaporisor

Escaped convicts!
concluded
Altair XIII
Frozen Wastes

Chibiabos

Keep some beer on hand around all your vital crop areas.  The muffalo will binge on it, drink themselves and become incapacitated, then spill their entire inventory on the map and it won't get picked up again, so unforbid it and its your! :P

As for animal feed ... almost all animals will eat kibble which requires one meat and one vegetable -- unlike human meals, the vegetable in kibble can be hay.  And animals don't get mood debuffs from eating human meat, hint hint :P  Kibble needs 20 of a vegetable, 20 of meat, and produces 50 (so there's a 25% bonus -- 40 total ingredients, 50 total output).

Wargs CANNOT eat kibble, they are among the few -- Wargs can only eat meat or corpses.  Animals that can eat corpses can also eat rotten corpses, so consider hauling rotten corpses into freezers near where your carnivorous/omnivorous animals sleep rather than let those corpses go to waste.  Dessicated corpses are useless, unfortunately, and the 'Allow Rotten' toggle on storage zones cannot distinguish between rotten and dessicated, so you have to micromanage a bit unfortunately. :/  But might as well put rotten corpses to good use -- as food for your hungry meat-eating animals :P

If you get chickens, squirrels or other small animals that breed quickly, I strongly advise trying to keep meals you make away from them.  One chick will eat one meal, and it doesn't take long for you to get scores of chicks once you have boxes for your animals (note that those animal boxes you make of hard materials -- wood, metal, etc. -- don't work with any animal large enough to haul [so labradors and huskies cannot sleep in boxes, but Yorkshires can as can young labrador/husky pups]) -- they need 'animal beds' made of a fabric (cloth, wool, hide, etc.)

Kibble is made at your butcher's table, not a cook stove by the way.
Proud supporter of Rimworld since α7 (October 2014)!