Rimworld wont start with Hardcore Mod

Started by Xandrox, March 29, 2016, 12:45:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xandrox

Hi everyone! After searching the forums here it seems I am not the only one with this problem, but since no solution was found i will post my Issue here:

Running Rimworld Alpha 12d unmodded or with a few mods works (The UI Overhaul Modpack from the forum works), although more mods means longer loading of the rimworld.exe and a loooong waiting time in the Main menu to open the Mods menu. Now to the funny part: The described problems happen on my gaming desktop pc, which is a beast, ive got a ludicrous amount of RAM and processing power, and the game is installed on my SSD.

To check if i was just too stupid to correctly install the mods, Ive installed Rimworld on my Work Laptop ( stutters already just running Excel) and added the Hardcore Mod pack, and, surprise, the game launches instantly and the mod pack is installed, creating games work fine.

Now i´ve copied the Install Folder + the mods.xml file from my Laptop to my Gaming Desktop, starting the game there: Rimworld914win.exe is not responding. For about 5 Minutes now, and i´ll wait if it ever loads, coz somebody in a similar thread said the game booted after 20 mins.

So my message to the developer: Same Setup on different PC´s (same Operating System though, Win 7 on both), Game works fine on the slow Laptop, Game wont even launch on the Gaming PC.

Please Help! =)

Edit: It actually did boot! Took em about 10 Minutes, and i dont know if he takes another 10 minutes to open the Mod menu, but there seem to be some serious optimization issues if my slow laptop works a 100 times faster with this game then my Gaming desktop!

Alistaire

This is possible because Unity has terribly optimized audio file loading code and A12D uses it poorly (by waiting for each audio clip to load
correctly before moving on to the next one - for reference on my computer it takes 3 seconds for each audio clip to load which for Hardcore
SK added up to a waiting time of about 40 minutes for audio files alone). This problem only occurs because Unity can not always directly access
all the necessary files for loading audio and the limiting factor for loading is in that case your computer's processing speed.

If your gaming desktop has a problem with accessing these files it will undoubtedly take much and much longer to load the audio. If the laptop
does not have this problem it will undoubtedly take much shorter to load the audio.

Every other part of the modpack will take roughly the same amount of time to load regardless of your set up because in that case the bottlenecks
are not in your CPU but rather in Unity itself - those can not be fixed and you can practically aim for maybe 10 minutes of non-audio game loading.

The problem here is in the implementation of the audio loading by RimWorld and Tynan should be noticed by now so I hope A13 will fix this (by
loading multiple audio files at the same time rather than loading one and waiting for it to load the next one). If the unmodded base game takes
2-3 minutes to load on your gaming desktop I can almost guarantee you it is due to this audio file code. As far as I know there is no way to fix this
accessibility problem with Unity as a user.

Xandrox

Thank you for these Informations! Although I´m wondering what the difference could be that makes it easier for my Laptop to load the Modfiles. To clarify, my Desktop PC loads the unmodded Rimworld Alpha 12d in 3-5 seconds, not minutes!

If it helps I would offer to send my PC´s Specs (both LAptop and Desktop) via PM to the Modprogrammer and to the Maker of Rimworld, but it seems the Problem is already known and identified.

Alistaire

It would be very helpful if you could paste the output_log.txt for both computers booting Hardcore_SK and vanilla RimWorld as such:

-> start Windows start menu
-> type "%appdata%" in search box, press enter
-> go up one folder from Roaming to AppData
-> enter LocalLow/Ludeon Studios/RimWorld/Config
-> open Prefs.xml
-> search logVerbose
-> replace <logVerbose>False</logVerbose> with <logVerbose>True</logVerbose>
-> run game, wait until main menu is shown, exit
-> go to your RimWorld install folder, not in LocalLow
-> enter RimWorld***Win_Data
-> attach output_log.txt to forum post

You probably have an output_log.txt already present in RimWorld***Win_Data, though the important bit here is logVerbose. If logVerbose
is activated it shows messages such as this in the file:

121954ms LoadAllPlayData
- 107154ms Load all active mods.
- - 10962ms Loading [Core|Core]

Xandrox

Ok, I´ve enabled the Verbose Log, the Logfile also shows the "Loading Mod" Line, i`ll attach the Logfil from my Laptop (relatively fast loading of the modded game) to this post, for the Log from my Desktop PC you have to wait another 6-8 Hours (I´m at Work right now =) )

[attachment deleted by admin - too old]

skullywag

Yeah that one looks fine, we need the other one.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

Xandrox

Heres now the File from my Gaming Desktop, takes about 100x as long for loading the sound files if i read the log correct

[attachment deleted by admin - too old]

Fluffy (l2032)

Yep, same bug - each audio file takes ~3 seconds to load.

I'm wondering what causes audio files to 'break' on your specific systems though. Could it be a user account issue, where the preferred loading method can't get access? Just spitballing here ofc.

Xandrox

Unfortunatly i really know nothing about unity engine, but if someone could tell me if unity has an extra settings folder or something installed on the pc, i could check for a difference in settings on my laptop and my pc

skullywag

list the specs of both machines plz? and where on each machine the game is installed.

Xandrox

Gaming PC (Slow loading, Log Nr. 2):

Win 7  Prof SP 1 (64 bit)
MS-7752 Motherboard (MSI)
Intel Core i7-3770k @ 3.5 GHz
8 GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780
Mushkin Chronos 240 GB SATA 6.0 Gb-s 2.5-Inch Solid State Drive

Game is installed under C:\RimWorld914Win\ (The Partition is on the SSD Drive)

Laptop specs coming soon

Xandrox

Here now the specs of the Work Laptop (Games loads fast):

Win 7 Prof SP 1 (64 bit)
Intel Core i5-3337U CPU @ 1.8 GHz
4 GB RAM
Intel HD Graphics 4000 (onboard gfx card)
Seagate Laptop Thin ST500LT012 500GB 5400 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 2.5" Internal Notebook Hard Drive Bare Drive

Game is installed under c:\rimworld914Win\

skullywag

hrmm well im on an SSD and thats the only real difference here and my sounds load in < 1ms (ive tested this issue with Alistaire in the past). I have posted a possible fix to the issue in the private testing forum, but Tynan/Ison hasnt responded yet. (well Ison did just stating that loading mod sounds is iffy right now and needs work)

Xandrox

thats the funny thing, on my ssd equipped desktop the game takes forever to load, on the "normal" laptop harddrive it loads fast...

skullywag

thats what im saying, looking at that setup you would say its slow on the ssd and fast on the sata, but im running an ssd here and its fast so that breaks that pattern. I have a feeling theres something else on the systems affected thats causing the issue, virus scanner or something maybe?