Remove "wanderer joins" or revamp.

Started by hector212121, April 22, 2016, 11:11:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hector212121

I'm sorry, but in a real colony, you can't just walk in and say "yo, I'm your new bunkmate". We should be able to review their characteristics and have the option to reject them unless we have no colonists. That's just how it is.

dragoduval

Already made that for myself, not hard just remove the incident.

But yea it need a revamp.
Im making my own mod !!!! Also im pretty sure that i started World Wars 3.....

Also if i spawn too many subject then dont mind me, i'm just bored at school :D. Damn 3 hours long video's....

whoishigh

I'd definitely like to see this! It doesn't even have to be full characters stats, something as simple as "name, age, profession" with and accept/deny button would be fine for me.

And FFS, make sure they start with a shirt and pants at the very least! I'm real tired of all these nekkids showing up before I have any kind of textile industry going.

Shabazza

Agreed.
I sometimes find myself judging a wanderer that joins as 'useless' due to a lack of skills that would be valuable for the colony.
The last one was so bad, that I had to get rid of him, because I was already short on food.
So I sent him into an unused freezer, stripped him and forbade the door and decreased the temperature to -30 °C / -22 °F to let him die
without wasting bullets...

dragoduval

Send him naked against a huge animal, you either loose him or you gain free meat.
Im making my own mod !!!! Also im pretty sure that i started World Wars 3.....

Also if i spawn too many subject then dont mind me, i'm just bored at school :D. Damn 3 hours long video's....

Vaporisor

I never thought too much about this but you are right, it doesn't make sense.  I mean overall it is designed to get you to the minimum desired variable set by your selected storyteller without consuming any resources in and of itself vs a crashed pod which needs medical investment or request for help which is combat.

Perhaps a different way could be have them as a spacer or other non aligned.  Something that could be fun I have inspired from sieges actually.

"A wanderer has entered the area"  A person with a basic pack animal bonded to them builds a small shelter with the basic supplies they have with them.  Prefab square wood building to essentially run self sustaining and have the "chat and recruit" option with a lower difficulty.  They stay a week before moving on.  A small 4x4 internal space wood structure isn't that invasive.  If the person has really good stats or otherwise really desireable, can always arrest them.
Stories by Vaporisor

Escaped convicts!
concluded
Altair XIII
Frozen Wastes

Silvador

I have no issue with this event. It doesn't happen a lot and it's nice to have if you're low on colonists.

Vaporisor

Quote from: Silvador on April 22, 2016, 01:23:02 PM
I have no issue with this event. It doesn't happen a lot and it's nice to have if you're low on colonists.

I think the issue is lack of realism.  For example, I once was doing an ice sheet colony.  Early game was ragged edge.  I could not afford to have just anybody join.  A geriatric person who was not capable of mining or dumb labor joined up.  So what do I do?  I get a mood penalty to get rid of him.  He just joined.  If it was more roleplay, and this guy was wandering came in, I would have had to say, am sorry, but if you come in, we all die.  Send him walking more and hope he survives.
Stories by Vaporisor

Escaped convicts!
concluded
Altair XIII
Frozen Wastes

GarettZriwin

Quote from: hector212121 on April 22, 2016, 11:11:43 AM
I'm sorry, but in a real colony, you can't just walk in and say "yo, I'm your new bunkmate".
True, You must do it with style! "Yo, I'm your new abrassive gaymate, I will annoy the crap of you and attempt romance all the time!"

b0rsuk

You know those "a wanderer from faction ABC is passing through" events ? Give (some) of them hovering question marks. If you interact with the question mark, you can accept him (similar to how trade caravans work).

Alternatively, add some flavor text to justify it and make it more interesting. While trading, you purchase several crates of steel. When the caravan leaves, you find a stowaway, or a girl escaping from a brutal husband / unwanted marriage, etc. Then you would have an option to give him/her away for +faction reputation, or keep him/her

hector212121

I would, however, want a "Wanderer Settles" event in case of colony wipe. Basically, they go, "Oh, hey, scrap stuff!"

Silvador

Quote from: Vaporisor on April 22, 2016, 01:33:06 PM
Quote from: Silvador on April 22, 2016, 01:23:02 PM

I think the issue is lack of realism.  For example, I once was doing an ice sheet colony.  Early game was ragged edge.  I could not afford to have just anybody join.  A geriatric person who was not capable of mining or dumb labor joined up.  So what do I do?  I get a mood penalty to get rid of him.  He just joined.  If it was more roleplay, and this guy was wandering came in, I would have had to say, am sorry, but if you come in, we all die.  Send him walking more and hope he survives.

Lack of realism? If you want to argue that point, allow me to list the numerous aspects of this game that "lack realism"

1. Building complex machinery out of nought but steel.
2. Mining steel right out of the rock.
3. Converting once violent enemies as if merely flipping a switch in their head.
4. Cryosleep.
5. Mechanoids.
6. Healing otherwise fatal wounds with the application of little more than leaves.

And those are just off the top of my head.

It has been stated on a few separate occasions that a major aspect of this game is imagination. Events and graphics are intentionally made to be, shall we say, less than specific. "Random guy has joined". You must lack some serious cognitive abilities if you can't think of things happening just a little bit differently than a random person just strolling in and inserting themselves into a colony without anyone even batting an eye.

If you think having a random person joining is bad, then I have just one question to ask you. How many times do you offer safety to a person fleeing from a neighbouring settlement? How do you know that the next one you deny safety isn't highly skilled in something that you desperately need? I'd much rather have random, worthless people join than risk turning away someone with good skills.

Shinzy

I'd just like to see some more flavour text come with them and a reason why they were automatically accepted. Something like "Colonist Bacchus has invited a lone wanderer join the colony"

kind of like the colony naming at the start where random one of your guys "suggest" to name the place

I would help alot with rolling with it or even shape that colony's story in your head
and give another reason to hate Bacchus

Mathenaut

Quote from: Silvador on April 23, 2016, 12:19:04 PM
Lack of realism? If you want to argue that point, allow me to list the numerous aspects of this game that "lack realism"

I think 'realism' is just code for 'agency'. Because there are so many useless stats and debilitating random attributes in the pool, it's more frequent than not that the random colonists that want to join are usually worthless. The worst thing is that you can't really see what you are getting, and you kinda can't do anything about it once you have them.

Best thing you can do is socially isolate them, then give them a knife to charge at the next raiders who drop in.