Fishes?!

Started by Mufflamingo, May 17, 2016, 05:41:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mufflamingo

I know a way how to introduce fishes to the game, its simple.

Add a school of fish in a water area. It should act like a plant, where you may harvest or destroy the school of fish. Harvesting gives you an amount of fish to be caught in that school and the school will return to 1% and let the fishes breed again. If you want to grow fishes, you need to make an aquarium perhaps?

What u guys think?
Bleeeee. . . . .

Songleaves

This may or may not be considered a "frequent suggestion". Either way here are my thoughts:

* Fish is plural, fishes isn't a word :P
* I presume fishing would utilize the hunting skill?
* Would be a good way to introduce more meat to the ice sheet biome
* Aquariums would need to be given food? Maybe use animal kibble or introduce a "make fishfood"? Would giving food count as a growing task?
* Might imbalance the collection of meat, make it easier to gain meat in a campy sort of way (although chicken breeding already does that)

Mufflamingo

1. Sorry, I'm not perfect in English. :P
2. Animal skill perhaps? The higher the skill the higher amount of fishes to be harvested? Just like the growing skill affects how much crops you can harvest.
3. Ikr, we need more sources of food.
4. Well, the schools in the wild can just eat on their own. The aquarium perhaps will need hoppers to put their fishfood (kibble, fruits whatever~)
5. Well, let Tynan or the modders do the balancing. ^-^
Bleeeee. . . . .

paja338

I like this idea a lot. My colony is located near the sea on a rather open piece of land so I have no problem with farming, but with meat its a different thing. Being able to fish from water sources or building aquariums to keep a low but steady supply of meat is an appealing idea.

Not to mention it could also be considered a joy activity for colonists in case of fishing. And who wouldn't want an aquarium in their room to make it more impressive? Being able to build a pier to allow for easier access on deep waters would also be good.

harpo99999

there is already a fishing mod (and it has been updated to a13) https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=13172.0

b0rsuk

There are no birds either.

JimmyAgnt007

Yes its on the list of "Frequent Suggestions" because its a good idea just not something Tynan has decided to tackle yet.  It sure would be a safer way to get meat without hunting.  (Unless me makes lures catch on nearby pawns during the cast)

Fish farms are a thing, rather simple so you could build a metal tank to maintain a steady supply of fish.  Aquariums are more for display, smaller for joy.  Lots of ground to cover.  Im going to link this thread in the FS list so all the talking gets directed here.

Birds I'm sure will be a thing eventually.

GarettZriwin

Quote from: b0rsuk on May 25, 2016, 08:45:43 AM
There are no birds either.
Chicken hatch from eggs, reptile confirmed? :P

b0rsuk

I meant flying birds.

I'm sure Tynan hasn't added fish and birds because he wants to implement some extra systems first. I like new systems.

Songleaves

Fish farms frequently collapse due to chytrid infections, perhaps that could be an event analogous to blights for farms.

Justas love

They should implement some kind of meat farming in the game because i hate relying on manhunters and dromedrys on the freaking extreme biome for those fine/lavish meals

JimmyAgnt007

Quote from: Justas love on May 26, 2016, 01:24:22 PM
They should implement some kind of meat farming in the game because i hate relying on manhunters and dromedrys on the freaking extreme biome for those fine/lavish meals

Can you buy chickens?  They breed really quick.  Though I agree.  Need more meat.

Justas love

Quote from: JimmyAgnt007 on May 26, 2016, 02:01:58 PM
Can you buy chickens?  They breed really quick.  Though I agree.  Need more meat.

I don't like them, but I do have ideas how i would make them work and how all of the chicks would die from starvation, but it takes a lot of micro-managing to make them all go in the same zone since  they breed and eat a lot. I do want an actual piggie farm where my colonists would kill them once they breed and are fat af.
Sorry if i messed up some of the grammar, I really suck at talking in complicated ways, but i'm a very good english student  ;D

JimmyAgnt007

this thread is about fish but chicken cages, needing less food, automated egg harvesting, are all things that could be fun.

dont know how long you have been on the internet but your english is better than most of the people who speak it as their native tongue.  you will be fine ;)  you use a lot of commas, are you German?

cultist

Quote from: b0rsuk on May 25, 2016, 03:55:03 PM
I meant flying birds.

Flying birds means z-levels (or birds that hover an inch above the ground) and I'm pretty sure that's confirmed as "probably not happening".