HeadDefs or anything similar exist?

Started by joaonunes, May 23, 2016, 05:44:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joaonunes

Hello!

Recently someone created a request for a mod that adds mustaches to RimWorld, and I decided to give it a try, even though I never had any previous experience and have no idea on how RimWorld's modding works (although I am familiar with XML and c#, avoiding the latter). I am off to a great start xD

The problem is while there are Defs that allow adding hair to the game the same does not happen to faces, or does it?

Can anyone help me out on this one? Is there any way to add faces to the game or am I only allowed to edit the already existing ones? (editing texture files works, I tested it :P)

I thank you in advance for any attention given to this thread.

EDIT:
UNLESS... I use the already existing HairsDefs and extend the png to also have a mustache, plus I could couple hair types with the different mustaches :D

EDIT2:
Nope... that would mean that when a pawn equipped a hat the mustache would also disappear...
Do you want your colonists to look manlier?
Get a free mustache sample here!

joaonunes

I guess it would be safe for me to assume that there is no way to ADD new heads to the game...

I don't know specifically how heads are stored and referenced, but you could look at EdB's Prepare Carefully.  PC has the option of changing the pawns head so, you could look at that and from there see how to inject new heads.
(2*b)||!(2*b) - That is the question.
There are 10 kinds of people in this world - those that understand binary and those that don't.

Powered By

joaonunes

Quote from: 1000101 on May 24, 2016, 12:30:36 PM
I don't know specifically how heads are stored and referenced, but you could look at EdB's Prepare Carefully.  PC has the option of changing the pawns head so, you could look at that and from there see how to inject new heads.

You are a genius, why didn't I think of that xD Will check it right away!! (when I get home, I am at school atm)

Fluffy (l2032)

heads are a tricky case - they're loaded from the correct folders, but are by default not moddable. The methods that look for head graphics only look in the bundled .asset files - so only vanilla assets. I've made a minimod for Simon's mod variety pack in the past, odds are that still (mostly) works. There should be an "AllowModdedHeads" dll somewhere in MVP, you could try if it still works, or if it doesn't see what needs to be done to make it work.

(Or you could wait for me to do it, but htat might be a while :P)

joaonunes

Quote from: Fluffy (l2032) on May 24, 2016, 12:41:24 PM
heads are a tricky case - they're loaded from the correct folders, but are by default not moddable. The methods that look for head graphics only look in the bundled .asset files - so only vanilla assets. I've made a minimod for Simon's mod variety pack in the past, odds are that still (mostly) works. There should be an "AllowModdedHeads" dll somewhere in MVP, you could try if it still works, or if it doesn't see what needs to be done to make it work.

The image I am currently using on my profile was taken from a screenshot, and the screenshot was taken after replacing the vanilla textures with textures that also contain a mustache, just like what was done in this mod:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=9505.0 <--this mod edited the eyes, I added a mustache.

Will look at that mod and see what I can figure out from that.

EDIT: That mod DID add beards and mustaches. Cool :D now I must find out how

joaonunes

The .dll is not working, and I can't see what needs to be done by looking at it's code... Unfortunately I don't know much about the code used by this game, the reason I tried to stay away from c# in the first place...

I'll try to see if I can do something at all, but if you can I would deeply appreciate your help Fluffy :)

And thanks to everyone for helping me out!

EDIT: Been a while since the last time I touched c#, but visual studio is already throwing some errors :P Will try to fix them as best as I can

joaonunes

Holy shit, it is working!!! The dll is working :D:D:D
The error was easily corrected and finished crafting some mustaches, the mod is ready for release.
All I need now is permission from Simon to use his dll, already sent him a PM :D

joaonunes

Quote from: Fluffy (l2032) on May 24, 2016, 12:41:24 PM

So who made the dll? You or simon?

Fluffy (l2032)

that'd be me. Feel free to use it ;) (Also, can you send me a copy of the (updated) source code? I'll put it back in my minor mods thread, with credits to you + a link to your version with the new mustaches etc.)

joaonunes

Quote from: Fluffy (l2032) on May 25, 2016, 01:46:54 AM
that'd be me. Feel free to use it ;) (Also, can you send me a copy of the (updated) source code? I'll put it back in my minor mods thread, with credits to you + a link to your version with the new mustaches etc.)

Of course ;D and thanks!

joaonunes

Mod released:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=20408.0

Once again, I thank you both for helping me achieve this goal :D

Have you considered a slight change in your method of handling facial hair?  Instead of replacing the entire head, add two additional layers (moustache and beard).  This will allow more flexibility in the combinations although it will add some complexity to the code.

Anyway, nice mod, I'm glad my meager input could be helpful (although I suspect that fluffy was far more help in this matter ;) ).
(2*b)||!(2*b) - That is the question.
There are 10 kinds of people in this world - those that understand binary and those that don't.