[1.0] RedistHeat (Oct 29, v50) Ported to 1.0

Started by Morgloz, July 19, 2016, 02:19:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cliffahead

small cooler cannot be placed. medium heater is not working even after i set the temp to -40 degrees. all my food is gone =(

Utildayael

Quote from: cliffahead on July 26, 2016, 10:37:48 AM
small cooler cannot be placed. medium heater is not working even after i set the temp to -40 degrees. all my food is gone =(

Hoping you typo'd but you don't want to place a heater in your freezer. You'll want to also keep an eye on rooms when you first set them up to make sure they actually reach desired temperature the same way you do with vanilla heat/cool items. Large enough rooms need multiple coolers just like in vanilla.

Omniwatch

Here is a video i made to help people who are new to the mod understand it better, Its my first attempt at making video guide so please go easy ^^ (IMO I think i made it a bit too long)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6zXW4s2nCs

Sarelth

Quote from: Omniwatch on July 27, 2016, 01:30:37 AM
Here is a video i made to help people who are new to the mod understand it better, Its my first attempt at making video guide so please go easy ^^ (IMO I think i made it a bit too long)

The audio for your video is really bad, it sounds like you are in an alien fishbowl. The video itself was good though. I found it useful.

Rorax

There is a couple of things wrong in your video.

1. when you showed cooling a distant room, you never changed the channel that the intake vent was on, it was still on /upper/ channel and not the lower channel,  your duct to the distant room was a lower duct. You need to make sure your intakes and out takes are on the right channels, you can't just have both on the same cell and expect them to connect to both.

2. the reason why the duct cooler wasn't working is like the screenshot shows at the top of the mod page, it requires an /in/ pipe and an /out/ pipe. you only had an in pipe.

Morgloz

Quote from: Utildayael on July 25, 2016, 05:53:30 PM
Some questions I had as I try to sort this out in my head after messing around with the mod in dev mode...

1. Duct temperature is the absolute lowest [or highest] temp you can get a room? For example if a duct temp is 50F then you can possibly get a room down to 50F assuming the duct has enough cooling behind it to handle the temperature? I'm assuming you use the volume of a room meaning  a 3x3 hooked to a 50F line with a smart duct will most likely be 50F whereas a 20x20 room hooked to a 50F line may NOT actually hit 50F if there's not enough coolers feeding the duct network?

2. How do I handle hot and cold on same network or is that not possible? Say I want "70F all year round"... its 100F in summer so I need cooling but its 30F in winter so I need heat. Do I need to run like.. upper duct for cooling and lower duct for heat hooked to appropriate cool/heat units? Seems cooling/furnace fight eachother if both on same line. Assuming this to be true, I'd need two smart vents per room? [one upper, one lower]

3. How big can duct networks be? If I have a giant base can I use one network assuming I put enough coolers / furnaces on it?

4. On industrial coolers what is the proper way to use the exhaust ports? They connect fine but should they open to the outside or a duct leading to a vent outside or some other configuration for optimum use? I put my cooler units outside to deal with the heat they generate but that seems less than ideal. Can I run ducts from the exhaust ports to the outside and put outlets on them or is there some other better way?

5. Duct coolers are just small cooling units correct? Any special placement for optimum usage?

Sorry for all the questions but figure some of those answers can fit into the general usage as well so people like me will stop asking you. Maybe. :)

Screenshots of some common sample setups might help alleviate a bunch of questions too.

Once I get it figured out I can write up a little guide on Steam to reference people to if you like and include screenshots.

Cheers!
1. Right now ducts try to equalize the temperature of the room and the temperature of the network. They have a max rate at which they work however, so it is possible to need more outlets to achieve that equalization.

2. Since they equalize temperatures it's possible to heat and cool with one network, as long as you keep the network at your target temperature.

3. Technically you can make them as big as you want, but I recommend you to build smaller subnets and connect them with rooms.

4. Exhaust ports do not care if you vent the heat of the room they generate it, but take into consideration that the if the room is small enough, it can reach very high temperatures, which can affect the temperature of the room you are trying to cool down through the walls.

5. They cool the air in the network and generate heat in the room they are in, but like the exhaust ports, they don't care if you vent that heat or not.

I will gladly accept any guide you make, and I will work to improve the info of the mod.
My mods:
RedistHeat

Omniwatch

Quote from: Rorax on July 27, 2016, 05:05:21 AM

There is a couple of things wrong in your video.

1. when you showed cooling a distant room, you never changed the channel that the intake vent was on, it was still on /upper/ channel and not the lower channel,  your duct to the distant room was a lower duct. You need to make sure your intakes and out takes are on the right channels, you can't just have both on the same cell and expect them to connect to both.

2. the reason why the duct cooler wasn't working is like the screenshot shows at the top of the mod page, it requires an /in/ pipe and an /out/ pipe. you only had an in pipe.

Thanks for the comment, however all my cooling network was a bottom pipe. The only reason the upper was made was to show the different in color.

secondly, the reason the duct cooler does not work is due the face that it needs be in a direct path of the network not adjacent to it like i had it.

if you do see anything else please let me know. Ty

Xira

Some notes after using this. I love the idea of the mod more than I like the mod.

Un-Intuitive

I first tried to run a double track of pipes down the shared middle wall of a double-sided bedroom row. Then connecting two outlets to the middle wall in each room. Didn't work. Should have worked.

• Can't place an outlet on both sides of same wall, unless you do so before they are built.
  • Placing a lower-pipe outlet/smart outlet into a wall blocks the upper pipe. So only the first outlet is going to work...
  • Duct cooler doesn't work without an intake vent. Can't just hook it up on the side and it works.

Both of those need to change. If multiple outlets into the same wall work at all then you probably ought to be able to build them both ways, if not then neither way should be buildable. A lower pipe outlet simply shouldn't block an upper pipe. Or you could make the outlet connect to both pipes and raise/lower the temperature as needed, but you'd need some way to prevent it from switching between the two over and over.

The duct cooler needing to be in-line probably should be changed. It's not very 'gamey-game-sense' for it to need real plumbing.

Poor balance

• Intake pipes are very weak. I needed 8 in a room with -30F temprature to cool a medium base in not-that-hot weather.
  • Overall the industrial coolers/heaters don't provide enough bang for the buck when used in a central-air system.
  • Overall mod not as useful as it could be.

I felt that given the high resource requirements of the entire system as a whole I was not saving any resources *or* space by complexifying my system beyond what vanilla offers. Real life is often like that, games aren't.

Just..erm....triple or more the intake rate of the intake vents. Maybe double the cooling/heating rate of the industrial units. And I really should be able to save 2 walls of space by doing the whole thing inside one wall...Not sure here, truthfully, this is the kind of this that needed to be tested at different power points.

For instance, I still need a 'duct tube' running down the center of my double-sided bedroom rows. Gee, I could also do that same thing and just use the vanilla heaters/coolers to cool the tube and vanilla vents to vent it to the rooms. What am I saving here? 1/20th of roof leakage area? Or do ducts leak too? If I want to cool a freezer with this system I need to cool the entire system down to 26F and use smart vents everywhere, what kind of leakage am I getting there? And I'm using a lot more electricity and metal for all that too.

Great idea, but not a useful mod in its current state.

Chibisuke

Anyone else experiencing this? Bug or just me? If you run duct pipes without an intake anywhere and connect Smart Duct Outlet the Net Temp will always be 20c

Morgloz

Quote from: Chibisuke on July 28, 2016, 08:04:40 AM
Anyone else experiencing this? Bug or just me? If you run duct pipes without an intake anywhere and connect Smart Duct Outlet the Net Temp will always be 20c

I'll check that right now.

Edit:
It's not only you, the network initially has a temperature close to the one outside. If you attatch a smart outlet and use it to heat a room the net temperature drops, but if you use it to cool the room it wont increase. I will fix it soon.
My mods:
RedistHeat

Utildayael

Quote from: Morgloz on July 27, 2016, 01:27:37 PM
1. Right now ducts try to equalize the temperature of the room and the temperature of the network. They have a max rate at which they work however, so it is possible to need more outlets to achieve that equalization.

Roger. Will try that.

Quote2. Since they equalize temperatures it's possible to heat and cool with one network, as long as you keep the network at your target temperature.

Hrm having issues with this but looking at the vid and whatnot it seems this might be easier just using upper [cool] and lower [hot] or something. If you add the feature to make smart vents tie to BOTH upper/lower as you had mentioned elsewhere, that would make this super easy and compact.

Quote3. Technically you can make them as big as you want, but I recommend you to build smaller subnets and connect them with rooms.

Good to know. :)

Quote4. Exhaust ports do not care if you vent the heat of the room they generate it, but take into consideration that the if the room is small enough, it can reach very high temperatures, which can affect the temperature of the room you are trying to cool down through the walls.

Heat goes through walls? Hrm. I think I'll just either treat it like a real HVAC and exhaust outside or maybe tie exhaust to a "heat" network.

Quote5. They cool the air in the network and generate heat in the room they are in, but like the exhaust ports, they don't care if you vent that heat or not.

Ah ok. Seems they have to be inline with ducts full too? IE:   DDXDD where D is duct and X is the cooler? Or can you hang them on the end, ie DX ?

Last bit... in O's video he makes a room and uses a port to feed the ducts. Can you just hook ducts up to the industrial cooler / furnace or does that not work? Also can I attach ducts to the exhaust ports on industrial cooler? From a mod perspective, if they *do* connect it would be nice to see some sort of indication they are connected if that is possible? Might clear up some connection bits for folks. The vents are much more obvious since you have to connect upper/lower toggle button which is why I wondered if the ducts *actually* connect to the industrial bits.

QuoteI will gladly accept any guide you make, and I will work to improve the info of the mod.

I'll muck with it some more and put something together. Hopefully help folks figure things out easier and less questions for you, well, assuming they actually read the guide or watch O's video. :)

Cheers!

Gfurst

Sup.... just trying out the mod in a new colony.... as many others I'm kinda lost....
Tried using external coolers  for a small freezer (3x4), the cost of the structure is barely worth when compared to vanilla, even though they have a single layer wall, 3x4 is so small it should keep up no matter what.
Or it may be that it just needs to be lined somehow between inlet and out ports. I just have them both side by side, input cold air would just help even colder room.

Morgloz

Quote from: Utildayael on July 28, 2016, 11:48:02 PM
Hrm having issues with this but looking at the vid and whatnot it seems this might be easier just using upper [cool] and lower [hot] or something. If you add the feature to make smart vents tie to BOTH upper/lower as you had mentioned elsewhere, that would make this super easy and compact.
I'm planning to implement that.

Ah ok. Seems they have to be inline with ducts full too? IE:   DDXDD where D is duct and X is the cooler? Or can you hang them on the end, ie DX ?
It will work as long as it has a pipe next to it (not diagonally)

Last bit... in O's video he makes a room and uses a port to feed the ducts. Can you just hook ducts up to the industrial cooler / furnace or does that not work? Also can I attach ducts to the exhaust ports on industrial cooler? From a mod perspective, if they *do* connect it would be nice to see some sort of indication they are connected if that is possible? Might clear up some connection bits for folks. The vents are much more obvious since you have to connect upper/lower toggle button which is why I wondered if the ducts *actually* connect to the industrial bits.
All the stuff that connects to pipes is in the ductwork tab, so the heaters/coolers in the temperature tab do not.
My mods:
RedistHeat

Delerium76

First off, in regards to everyone having problems with the mod being intuitive or not, most people assume that central heating/air in your mod works like it does in a real life house.  You have a heater/ac that hooks directly up to ducts that go to your rooms, thus heating/cooling each room directly, and all done from the same line of ducts.  The differences in your mod is that you have to first set up heating/cooling in one room, then intake the air temperature from that room into a duct network that goes to the rest of your rooms.  Once you realize that difference, this mod is really easy to use.

Not sure if you can fix this on your end or not, but your ductwork doesn't attach to utility walls from the clutter structures mod.  Any chance you could add that feature?

papu

i might have found a bug? or its probably me. i was trying to make a central cooling system then accidentally found the cooling problem in the image below

When i turned my industrial coolers off and even Closed the intake vent, the pipes are still 11 celcius and my rooms still stayed at the same temps, fortunately closing the outlet ducts changed the room's temperature.

I even disconnected the pipes, the pipes with all outlet ducts(top part of image) remained 11c while its 32c outside, while the pipes from the coolers(lower part of image) normalized when i turned everything off.

so basically im cooling my rooms with just pipes and no coolers

the only way i could fix this is to remove the intake duct and rebuild the pipe below it then rebuild the intake duct

its probably the pipe layout but im not sure