Uploading to forum

Started by Kirid, March 11, 2014, 06:50:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kirid

I'm wanting to upload a mod, But I'm not very experienced with forums. So several questions
Is there a template somewhere for posting them? Most of the current mod posts have the same layout
I assume uploading it packed as a RAR file is okay and normal?
And should I just upload it via an attachment? Or how to link it to the orange arrow like in other posts.
You can't rollerskate in a muffalo herd

Thunder Rahja

Most mod topics here have the same layout because a moderator went through and edited them all. You don't have to have the same format, just post it in the correct subforum; Releases for finished mods, Unfinished for mods in progress. There is no rule that says you have to have your post written in specific way.

Most here upload via attachment. The orange arrow image is not necessary.

hawkwing

Hmmm... A basic mod submission template wouldn't be a bad idea, to be honest. As for what to do with the files for your mod, I'd recommend 3rd party hosting for the files, mainly due to the forum's attachment size limit. If you mod is small enough that you aren't affected by that, then feel free to keep it simple and post it as an attachment. If you are looking for 3rd party hosting for your mod *and* images of your mod, I'd recommend taking a look at the link in my signature. If you're just looking for image hosting, I'd suggest using imgur.

Lastly, if you're wondering how people are doing fancy things with images that contain direct download links, what you're looking at is BBCode or "bulletin board code". Here's a quick reference page: Link (remember to look at the BBCode examples, not the html, because they're different) What they're doing is explained in the third example on the page. Basically, they're hosting on nexus mods, moddb, or modsaholic and the download banner is a simple stock image that they're using bbcode to turn into a link that matches the link to download from whatever site they're hosting externally on.
Rimworld mods are now available on The Nexus!
Rimworld Nexus
(Goodbye, 600kb upload limit!)

Darker

Quote from: hawkwing on March 18, 2014, 09:37:12 AM
Hmmm... A basic mod submission template wouldn't be a bad idea, to be honest.
I don't think that's something hard to figure out, just use [h1]Mod name[/h1] and write in some info...
Please... Throw human readable errors on savefile parsing failure!!!
Rim world editor Editor on GIT

Kirid

Quote from: Darker on March 18, 2014, 02:35:21 PM
I don't think that's something hard to figure out, just use [h1]Mod name[/h1] and write in some info...
That doesn't seem to do anything.
thank you for the help. I've figured out how to upload files and screenshots now, and the nexus things is cool, in case my mods ever go over the file size limit.
My request was alot more simple than I thought once I figured out how to work forums. Took a quote from a mod release post and copied the code.
Just copy this code into your mod page, they all use this layout, just delete whatever sections you dont want to fill out, might save the moderator time.

[center][color=orange][size=18pt]YourModName[/size][/color][/center]

[color=orange][size=14pt]Description:[/size][/color]

[color=orange][size=14pt]Features:[/size][/color]

[color=orange][size=14pt]Planned Features:[/size][/color]

[color=orange][size=14pt]Mod Team:[/size][/color]

[color=orange][size=14pt]How to use:[/size][/color]

[color=orange][size=14pt]Download:[/size][/color]

[color=orange][size=14pt]Screenshots:[/size][/color]

[color=orange][size=14pt]How to install:[/size][/color]
- Unzip the contents and place them in your RimWorld/Mods folder.
- Activate the mod in the mod menu in game.

[color=orange][size=14pt]Notes:[/size][/color]

[color=orange][size=14pt]Change Log:[/size][/color]

Edit My bad, header is there now
You can't rollerskate in a muffalo herd

Haplo

You missed the header:

[center][color=orange][size=18pt]YourModName[/size][/color][/center]

:)