[A16] MarsX v3.0.2 - Musky Edition

Started by Dubwise, September 11, 2016, 09:34:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dubwise

Quote from: yavorh on October 02, 2016, 03:33:18 AM
I was just watching Elon Musk's manifesto on colonizing Mars and I thought you may use it as a valuable resource. One key thing that you could probably use to make the mod similar to how it may work in real life is the fuel production he mentions from 14:30 or so onward - about methane being the main logical fuel, production, etc.

Yup already had fuel production planned, and yup already seen musk's presentation but it was only really about the rocket. Also what hes doing is more on a sim city scale than rimworld scale, so im looking at the small nasa science station type colonies

Serenity

Just getting started with this. What's the difference between aluminum and steel in gameplay mechanics?

Dubwise

Quote from: Serenity on October 02, 2016, 11:17:08 AM
Just getting started with this. What's the difference between aluminum and steel in gameplay mechanics?

Aluminium replaces plasteel, so i tend to use up the polymer first, then aluminium until i have stone to use for walls, and i keep the steel for making the important stuff

Serenity

Thanks. Sorry if all this has been asked before, but how do I get people to automatically take off their suits inside? It looks like I have good air inside, but they keep walking around in their suits. From some stuff I read I assumed they suit up by themselves when they want to go outside

And do I need to construct vanilla Rimworld style airlocks with two doors, or is one airlock door sufficient?

Captain_Goatse

Wonderful mod, I am really enjoying it. May I suggest you to integrate the "prepare carefully" mod in yours? On Mars many skill  become useless, and rolling a decent colonist becomes even more a pain in the arse than before. Also, I would love to see some H.G.Wells themed flora and fauna, maybe in a separate module. I was thinking about something like:

Martian shrub: useless until researched, then they can be processed into some very resilient wire.

Martian orchids: very rare and terribly difficult to grow. They give a strong morale boost.

Martian cactaceae: their fruits can be processed into an hallucinogenic drug.

I would like to help you with this work, but I am a welder/fabricator and I cannot tell a line of code from a wheelbarrow. Sorry.

Dubwise

Quote from: Serenity on October 02, 2016, 12:10:35 PM
Thanks. Sorry if all this has been asked before, but how do I get people to automatically take off their suits inside? It looks like I have good air inside, but they keep walking around in their suits. From some stuff I read I assumed they suit up by themselves when they want to go outside

And do I need to construct vanilla Rimworld style airlocks with two doors, or is one airlock door sufficient?

There's no auto suit switching right now so you need to manually change their restricted area and apparel set, but in the next patch i have suit stations which wraps up area switching and forced equipping into 1 click and they will also unequip automatically before going to bed.

As for airlocks they have a chance to fail so its safer to double them up

Dubwise

Quote from: Captain_Goatse on October 02, 2016, 12:25:51 PM
Wonderful mod, I am really enjoying it. May I suggest you to integrate the "prepare carefully" mod in yours? On Mars many skill  become useless, and rolling a decent colonist becomes even more a pain in the arse than before. Also, I would love to see some H.G.Wells themed flora and fauna, maybe in a separate module. I was thinking about something like:

Prepare carefully already works and i'm starting to replace some skills with specific ones needed for research. And the only sci-fi stuff i will be adding is some star trek style tech after doing a couple of years of research up there.

yavorh

Quote from: dubwise56 on October 02, 2016, 01:50:24 PM
Quote from: Captain_Goatse on October 02, 2016, 12:25:51 PM

Prepare carefully already works and i'm starting to replace some skills with specific ones needed for research. And the only sci-fi stuff i will be adding is some star trek style tech after doing a couple of years of research up there.

Could that maybe include robo-dogs or ways to have pets in the habitats? It could be a nice boost to mood since right now seeing as there is no way to make ketchup that I've found it rules out "fine meals" as a boost and in general Mars is a bit of an ugly place to hang around :D.

Serenity

Well that was brutal :)

Playing Mars One I finally got the hang of the basics and had my first harvest in. Feeling good. Then Bzzzt in my growing area. Oh noes. Venting the toxic air outside. Then when it's filling back up, solar flare. Great. By then it was obvious that everyone was going to starve.

Though it also seems like if you vent the air you need to place new soil. I thought you could just irrigate the dead soil. But even if I had realized that right away, I don't think there would have been time for that given how long it took me the first time. I only just got it done and already had to ration food when the first harvest was done.

I probably should have vented the toxic air into the living area and then from there outside. So as to not expose the soil. But even then, the food situation was already precarious.

Also do I get supply drops as Mars One? I got an event that says that the next crew launch is delayed, which seems like an error as I thought I didn't get any new crew in that scenario. But I also got a couple of events that supply launches have been delayed or that cargo was lost.

Dubwise

Quote from: Serenity on October 02, 2016, 06:19:49 PM
Also do I get supply drops as Mars One? I got an event that says that the next crew launch is delayed, which seems like an error as I thought I didn't get any new crew in that scenario. But I also got a couple of events that supply launches have been delayed or that cargo was lost.

Yup this is a problem at the moment, all the effort in the last patch was for colony mode i need to put more work into the survival modes

Dubwise

Quote from: yavorh on October 02, 2016, 02:13:59 PM
Could that maybe include robo-dogs or ways to have pets in the habitats? It could be a nice boost to mood since right now seeing as there is no way to make ketchup that I've found it rules out "fine meals" as a boost and in general Mars is a bit of an ugly place to hang around :D.

You should eventually get a care package with a chance to spawn some items like tv's computers telescopes and booze and ketchup, once your colonists have a decent sized room and some stuff to do they are easy to keep happy

Slye_Fox

Quote from: dubwise56 on October 02, 2016, 07:38:31 PM

You should eventually get a care package with a chance to spawn some items like tv's computers telescopes and booze and ketchup, once your colonists have a decent sized room and some stuff to do they are easy to keep happy

I got a PC in a supply drop, but the pawns never use it.

yavorh

Quote from: Slye_Fox on October 02, 2016, 10:51:29 PM
Quote from: dubwise56 on October 02, 2016, 07:38:31 PM

I got a PC in a supply drop, but the pawns never use it.

They need to have the 'Gamer' trait :D

yavorh

Quote from: dubwise56 on October 02, 2016, 07:33:51 PM
Quote from: Serenity on October 02, 2016, 06:19:49 PM

Yup this is a problem at the moment, all the effort in the last patch was for colony mode i need to put more work into the survival modes

On the topic of the patch - do you suppose that the next patch would be compatible with any current running colonies? Since I'm really excited about the upcoming update, but I don't wish to start up another colony and have to kill it off just to start the update.

Dubwise

Quote from: yavorh on October 03, 2016, 08:16:53 AM
On the topic of the patch - do you suppose that the next patch would be compatible with any current running colonies? Since I'm really excited about the upcoming update, but I don't wish to start up another colony and have to kill it off just to start the update.

gonna need a new colony, only other way is to use debug mode to delete all the colonists and any updated buildings and items leaving a husk and then save, reload with new patch and respawn everything, the patch might take another week or more to finish