[1.0] Pick a Color! (Update Dec. 26)

Started by mabor0shi, October 18, 2016, 05:18:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should there be any other changes in the special PaintBench version?

A small research requirement.
3 (15%)
Painting job should take time and give xp.
4 (20%)
Both of the above.
9 (45%)
Other (suggest via post in this thread).
0 (0%)
No other changes. Just add a bench.
2 (10%)
Don't want special bench. Sticking with Normal Version.
2 (10%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Boxmanbr

So, I was changing some of the XML files to do what I wanted (Set the recipes to paint stones 75 by 75 instead of 20 by 20, and increased the workAmount based on how I increased the recipe output, same for wood), while doing that, I found some minor issues, those are:

• Painting granite stones takes 33 workAmount while all the other stones takes 37 workAmount.
  • There is no recipe for spring green wood.

mabor0shi

Quote from: Boxmanbr on September 29, 2017, 07:59:22 AM
    So, I was changing some of the XML files to do what I wanted (Set the recipes to paint stones 75 by 75 instead of 20 by 20, and increased the workAmount based on how I increased the recipe output, same for wood)
    Stones go into the recipe by 20s because that way you can cut the stone (resulting in 20 blocks), then stain it at the same table right away. Also, 75 blocks is an inconveniently large amount. Suppose I only need 40? I like that you're customizing it, though. Modding is all about making the game how you want it, after all.

• Painting granite stones takes 33 workAmount while all the other stones takes 37 workAmount.
    That was fixed in the new version (which I never finished), by making all the recipeDefs inherit <workAmount> and other things from one abstract. I had even changed the <workAmount> on wood to match stone, just like you did. Also changed the <jobStrings> and some other stuff. I had been planning to release an update, but 7 Days to Die and a new job I got took over my life. Sorry. A <workAmount> difference of 4 is totally negligible, though, and the other improvements are very minor.
    • There is no recipe for spring green wood.
    Congratulations, you found the Easter Egg! :P
    From the changelog:
    Quote from: mabor0shi on October 18, 2016, 05:19:55 PM
    v1.17.4 (05/31/17)
    updated   ⸎Full Alpha 17 compatibility.
    reverted  ⸎Accidentally removed Spring green wood, then decided to keep it out. I guess it was seasonal :)
    I don't remember why I left in the spring green wood item after removing it's recipe, but I know a)I did it on purpose and b) it wasn't hurting anything by being there. Maybe it had something to do with an idea I had at the time of doin' a different "seasonal" color every few months. Anyway, it's gone for good now. [/list]
    Cool Mod, Bro Everything in RimWorld doesn't have to be either brown or grey anymore: Now you can Pick a Color!

Boxmanbr

Quote from: mabor0shi on October 07, 2017, 08:30:37 PM
      Stones go into the recipe by 20s because that way you can cut the stone (resulting in 20 blocks), then stain it at the same table right away. Also, 75 blocks is an inconveniently large amount. Suppose I only need 40? I like that you're customizing it, though. Modding is all about making the game how you want it, after all.
      I preferred to use 75 because it is how much a colonist can carry, can be convenient if you have a stockpile designed for bricks far away from the place where you stain bricks or if you have walls to build somewhere and you don't want to see a constructor hauling 20 bricks far away to construct some walls when they could bring 75 and construct more walls at once.

Quote from: mabor0shi on October 07, 2017, 08:30:37 PM
      I don't remember why I left in the spring green wood item after removing it's recipe, but I know a)I did it on purpose and b) it wasn't hurting anything by being there. Maybe it had something to do with an idea I had at the time of doin' a different "seasonal" color every few months. Anyway, it's gone for good now. [/list]
      I think it is possible that a trader might arrive with a good stock of Spring Green Wood when a player is lacking wood in his colony, the problem is if the player buys that wood, he wouldn't be able to paint it with another color or remove the paint.

mabor0shi

Finally updated to A18. Also, released special PaintBench version! I didn't put any research requirements or change anything else, it's just the bench. Full changelog for normal version of PaC and more information on the PaintBench version in reply #1 (the post below the first one in this thread).
      I have not updated the Extended Woodworking compatible version or the Vanilla texture versions. I will do so if someone requests it.
      Also, are you guys gonna get me those screenshots of your colonies made while using this mod? Come on, you promised :P
      Cool Mod, Bro Everything in RimWorld doesn't have to be either brown or grey anymore: Now you can Pick a Color!

SkyBlueMuffalo

I know that this post has gone silent, but (in case you're still reading this) I just wanted to tell you that I still love your mod and would definitely get a "+40 favorite mod got updated" if I could use it in B19.

So far here's a screenshot of my current B18 archipelago colony. The thingy next to the hydroponics is supposed to be a carrot.

I know that others create their colonies to be amazing pieces of art, but The They of The Bay seem to be happy with my rainbow rooms (and my hospital.) (I love my hospital.)

[attachment deleted due to age]

alexus30f

mabor0shi

Quote from: SkyBlueMuffalo on September 15, 2018, 01:35:21 PM
      I still love your mod and would definitely get a "+40 favorite mod got updated" if I could use it in B19.
      I don't know what a "+40 favorite mod got updated" is, but it sounds fantastic! I'll update the mod to 1.0 ASAP. I'm a very busy and important man (like Kim Jong-Un or Michael Jackson) so it will take a few days. I have updated to B19 , which I guess was pointless...
      Quote from: SkyBlueMuffalo on September 15, 2018, 01:35:21 PM
      So far here's a screenshot of my current B18 archipelago colony.
      I put your picture on the NexusMods page. It's very nice.

mabor0shi

So I finally got around to updating for v1.0 and it turned out there were no changes to make other than the name and the About file. I hope everyone who wants an update for Pick a Color gets this and puts it to good (or evil) use.
      Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!