A16 Island start and Caravane Issue

Started by PerunPerunowy, November 07, 2016, 11:30:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Profugo Barbatus

I think he's talking drop pod pirates. Dunno how you're supposed to get back though if that's the case. Maybe a second base on the other side of the body of water, a FOB, with launchers to send your guys back.

If that's the case, I'm gonna have to prep an elite hell jumper unit to assault the enemy.

mumblemumble

To be completely honest, I HOPE its not drop pods, or at least that it takes massive amount of research, and a building to make... The way we can sell stuff into orbit is already odd
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

Alenerel

I suppose that the solution will be either just ignoring water and treat it as it was terrain or make the caravan slow down in water.

IMO introducing boats/rafts is complicating it uselessly.

mumblemumble

But then you will wonder how are muffalos, pawns, cats, and people with peg legs are swimming across OCEANS...... If someone could make a doodle depicting this...hahaha.
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

Alenerel

I ofc know it doesnt make sense, just as many other things in this game, but my opinion is for playability reasons.

An alternate thing to please anyone is to make their icon to stop at the coast for a day, then move across the water (faster or not), but with their icon having a small boat below them. That make us think "oh, they are in a boat" and please our little minds, even when for gameplay purposes it would be the exact same time as crossing the water on foot or slowing it down.

Another thing I just thought is to have to build a boat with materials in your base, but being a reusable one. The thing is then, you imagine the people crossing the desert with a boat in their backs and we are in the same "boat" again.

The thing is as long as I dont have to build a damn boat each time and micromanage it do death Im pretty much happy with anything.

mumblemumble

TBH, I was thinking either one, rafts which work for SMALL water trips (rivers, lakes, cannals) and needing a port / large boat for OCEANS. this way 90% of water travel is easy, but sea travel is a bit harder

-----

Scythah

Quote from: Tynan on November 07, 2016, 03:49:27 PM
There will be a solution.

The same solution pirates use already!

That's interesting... so does that mean there'll be some strategic value to settling on an island area? Will it prevent low-tech enemies like tribals from reaching you if they can't use drop pods? Or is this purely an issue for players to deal with?

Yoshida Keiji

Im on an island now in Boreal Forest with desert and ocean to the sides. Only got 2 caravans at the very beginning of the game and nobody else came ever since, built a Communication Console and one Orbital trade beacon, waiting for a ship to fly by.

The thing is I have been playing on FFx3 most of the time with only assigning my chef to cook when meals start to run out and aint doing anything else.

Im already considering starting another game. Had just one escape pod crash-land at the start too, and got cero Silver and no more Compacted machinery visible around.

I will have to recycle all my heaters to build a Hi-tech research bench or else won't be able study Multi-analyer...

Lets see if I can make it...boredom has already stinged.

Canute

QuoteIm on an island now in Boreal Forest with desert and ocean to the sides. Only got 2 caravans at the very beginning of the game and nobody else came ever since, built a Communication Console and one Orbital trade beacon, waiting for a ship to fly by.

Do you know you can order a caravan to visit you for 300/600 silver ?
Does this work ?

keylocke

i suppose the cop out solution would just add move penalties on your caravan while traveling on water tiles and disable encounter events.

players are probably expected to assume that their colonists built rafts or whatevs prior to going on a water tile.

^this isn't an exciting solution, but it would work with minimal effort.

problem is : excitement causes a buzz, which translates to diehard fans going giddy with anticipation for new awesome features, which then translates to spread via word of mouth, which then translates to sales. (players butchering raiders and turning them into hats <-- that simple feature practically turned rimworld gold into rimworld platinum with diamond bling)

it's the same thing why bug fix only updates don't generate much attention compared to updates with new features.

heck, mods like dubs bad hygiene, redist heat, industrial rollers, fishing industry, real fog of war, realistic darkness, minimap, edb prep carefully, etc.. features that used to have long winded arguments in the suggestion boards about why they're not "necessary" and "doesn't add to the gameplay", etc..

but wow, the moment i started using those mods, vanilla hardly satisfies me anymore.

it's also kinda disappointing why the mod pawns mate was removed in the workshop. (i hope it gets updated to a16 or a17 and uploaded in dropbox or wherever)

Yoshida Keiji

Quote from: Canute on April 15, 2017, 08:58:31 AM
QuoteIm on an island now in Boreal Forest with desert and ocean to the sides. Only got 2 caravans at the very beginning of the game and nobody else came ever since, built a Communication Console and one Orbital trade beacon, waiting for a ship to fly by.

Do you know you can order a caravan to visit you for 300/600 silver ?
Does this work ?

I have cero Silver and only 105 gold. I used up all the starter silver on the first two visits... theres no way I can call another faction to send me a caravan... I could start a caravan myself...but we are only 5 pawns... I want to be able to finish the game without having to survive the struggle of building up a second colony elsewhere...thats too much...

Now I must build the "Multi-analizer" to continue my researches but... no plasteel no the map so far and Im mining so much that Im gonna end on the opposite side of the globe at this pace... so I will be dependent on flying ships trade...and a miraculous one...because since I don't have any Silver, whichever ship that comes must have some to sell me...while at the same time I will to sell to them in order to get some Silver...

...and by the time a second ship arrives... I will probably be on the year 10.000 at this pace...