Tynan, will cricises affect the worldmap?

Started by Lightzy, November 09, 2016, 01:27:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lightzy

For example, radioactive fallout being a kind of cloud that moves over the worldmap, where you can more or less anticipate how soon it's coming to your colony, and also covering a large are around it, thus preventing caravans etc.

Just an example

O Negative

Quote from: Lightzy on November 09, 2016, 01:27:46 AM
For example, radioactive fallout being a kind of cloud that moves over the worldmap, where you can more or less anticipate how soon it's coming to your colony, and also covering a large are around it, thus preventing caravans etc.

Just an example

I don't see something like that really working. I see those crises being either global of statically regional. But, hey, you never know till you know.

Rahjital

Maybe not for Alpha 16, but it would be great as an improvement added in later. It would be quite a nice addition to the world map mechanics, having temporary obstacles that you have to avoid, or if really pressed, can pass through at the cost of harming your caravan.

Alenerel

Quote from: Lightzy on November 09, 2016, 01:27:46 AM

Well, it depends. Current events are made to punish the player in specific ways. For example, toxic volcano happens when you have a lot of food in the storage. If the events switch to what you propose, it would cease to punish the player in this way, it could be, but it would punish "everyone" around too.

IMO I agree tho. Rain, thunder storm, volcano, toxic clouds, etc sound like a nice thing for this. Its just pros and cons and I think that the pros win in this case.

JimmyAgnt007

Planetary weather would be interesting but I think the planet will come first and depending on how it works and such will influence A17.  Would be interesting if say, you send people out to investigate something and then trigger a toxic fallout because you tried to salvage something keeping it contained.

deslona

I think planetary weather SHOULD be implemented but changes over time. For example. There MAY be an area already effected by toxic fallout at the start of the game (Which you could see on area selection) and over time this may move around the world or dissipate. Alternatively, some terrible event may come to your area and instead of waiting it out, players could have a choice of relocation.

mc858

more pawns+ your idea = terrible performance late game IMO

ChimpX

I'd like to see a Weather Station structure you could build that would give advance warning about this sort of thing.

Perhaps even satellites you could put in orbit after doing the necessary research.

Jarwy

Quote from: ChimpX on November 10, 2016, 08:29:39 AM
I'd like to see a Weather Station structure you could build that would give advance warning about this sort of thing.

Perhaps even satellites you could put in orbit after doing the necessary research.

That sounds more like a mod. That's what's great about Rimworld. The potential with this setting for all these cool add-ons.

jmababa

Quote from: Rahjital on November 09, 2016, 08:36:10 AM
Maybe not for Alpha 16, but it would be great as an improvement added in later. It would be quite a nice addition to the world map mechanics, having temporary obstacles that you have to avoid, or if really pressed, can pass through at the cost of harming your caravan.

Even if i weant to go to locatin where i have to pass a toxic fallout or heat wave I'll stop at the nearest tribe or colony and let weather system pass

Tynan

Not in Alpha 16, no.

We're getting the basics in (and even that is a LOT of stuff).
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Stealthkibbler

Quote from: Tynan on November 10, 2016, 12:24:25 PM
Not in Alpha 16, no.

We're getting the basics in (and even that is a LOT of stuff).

This immediately comes to mind

Dunno if you've ever seen the movie Riddick (Fourth one) But this particular scene and another one in the movie you get see a apocalyptic storm approaching which gives this feel of impending doom, you can't avoid it so prepare for it, If Rimworld could replicate that kind of aesthetic or feel with its Crisis' then it would really nail them.

Mikhail Reign

Quote from: Alenerel on November 09, 2016, 09:37:55 AMFor example, toxic volcano happens when you have a lot of food in the storage.

Wait really? Aw man - more cheese..... All food prep is now set to 'make until 1 less then volcano'.

Quote from: Stealthkibbler on November 11, 2016, 09:41:06 AMThis immediately comes to mind

Looks like home!

Alenerel

Im not sure what you mean, but it counts all the raw food you have in stores too.

After playing some Cassandra its too obvious, you do X, you get Y event, you do A, you get B event.

Randy is random, so its more interesting. Bad thing is hat you cant rely on him either for he can punish you while you are fucked, while Cassandra would help you in this situation.

Lightzy

Wow, someone made a BRILLIANT suggestion here:

A crisis coming towards you on the world map that is so severe, you have to actually VACATE your colony, take as much as you can carry and start over somewhere new, or at least at a temporary shelter before you can return.

BRILLIANT