[A17] No Death Randomness, Fitness

Started by mazacik, November 24, 2016, 11:41:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thundercraft

There are several comments on the Steam page for No Death Randomness who are asking for a version that reduces death randomness from 67% down to something like 20% or 30%.

Several of us would appreciate it, myself included. Reducing the death randomness is less OP than removing it entirely. (And there are at least one or two non-lethal weapon mods now which are truly non-lethal even without this mod.)

mazacik

Quote from: Thundercraft on June 07, 2017, 03:35:54 PM
There are several comments on the Steam page for No Death Randomness who are asking for a version that reduces death randomness from 67% down to something like 20% or 30%.

Several of us would appreciate it, myself included. Reducing the death randomness is less OP than removing it entirely. (And there are at least one or two non-lethal weapon mods now which are truly non-lethal even without this mod.)

I never noticed there's a steam workshop page for my mod, lul. I can make the version tomorrow, rn I'm too tired to start up visual studio and change things up. Also, if anyone has an idea for another version they'd want, let me know, I'll try to make it as well.

faltonico

Instead of reducing the randomness (sorta), why don't you try reducing the hitpoints of the torso? It would increase the chances of dying without the need of a random dice toss.
Any percentage of reduction might be translated directly onto more chances of dying.

KeenKrozzy

I also made this mod, but I have not released it because of yours. I bent the knee.

I am probably going to mix it up and add a mechanic or something. If you were thinking of doing that as well, PM me and we could work together if the Gods will it.

enosu

I opened main.cs and I am super confused. I thought all I would have to change would be a value like 67 to 30 or 20. Did you write all this manually?

mazacik

Done, here you go. The chance is 25%, for both people and animals. I hope that's fine.

Quote from: KeenKrozzy on June 07, 2017, 07:34:56 PM
I also made this mod, but I have not released it because of yours. I bent the knee.

I am probably going to mix it up and add a mechanic or something. If you were thinking of doing that as well, PM me and we could work together if the Gods will it.
What exactly do you have in mind? I feel like the more complex this mod would be, the fewer people will use it. Do let me know, if you have a nice idea, I'm willing to help you or give feedback/bugtesting/whatever. If you want to make/release your own version of this mod, that's perfectly fine too.

Quote from: enosu on June 08, 2017, 09:01:18 AM
I opened main.cs and I am super confused. I thought all I would have to change would be a value like 67 to 30 or 20. Did you write all this manually?
Opening main.cs and changing the value is far from enough. The mod itself is in the Assemblies folder, the Source folder is for people that want to look at my code and play with it. You have to open the entire project (.sln) in Visual Studio or other similar program. There you can edit all the .cs files, their properties and the project's references, but any changes you make will not appear until you compile the code. What I did to make this mod is, take RimWorld's code, copy the part that handles pawn death (CheckForStateChange), remove the part where pawn dies 67% of the time on getting downed, make other necessary changes so that the code can compile again (meaning fix literally every single line), set up detouring stuff (so RimWorld actually uses my code instead of it's own), hit compile, profit.

Dragoon

Says it's for the incorrect version. Just thought id let you know.
Quote from: faltonico
I truly can't understand that sense of balancing a LOT of modders have, pouring more resources on something doesn't make it more difficult, but more annoying. It is not engaging, even if i'm swimming in silver at late game ¿why to bother?, why all the effort to get there?.

faltonico

Quote from: mazacik on November 24, 2016, 11:41:19 PM
..."However, this obviously creates a game balance issue, as you will be able to capture every single raider that doesn't have a vital organ destroyed."
Not if they are bleeding profusely from every hole they have.
Triage became very important in my last playthrough, once i managed to capture 30 prisoners out of a +500 siege with +20 colonists (micromanagement hell!), more than twice that bleed to death, and that was only because i made them flee with mortars, the battle itself lasted nothing. If it was a regular raid, many more would have bleed to death.

Thundercraft

Quote from: mazacik on June 08, 2017, 10:47:57 AM
Done, here you go. The chance is 25%, for both people and animals. I hope that's fine.
Yes! Thank you.

Quote from: mazacik on June 08, 2017, 10:47:57 AM
Quote from: KeenKrozzy on June 07, 2017, 07:34:56 PM

What exactly do you have in mind? I feel like the more complex this mod would be, the fewer people will use it. Do let me know, if you have a nice idea, I'm willing to help you or give feedback/bugtesting/whatever.

Perhaps he's thinking of implementing something like what faltonico suggested, subtracting extra hitpoints from the torso, like a critical hit or something? Or, maybe he's thinking of increasing the bleedout rate so they die faster?

Quote from: faltonico on June 07, 2017, 06:31:47 PMInstead of reducing the randomness (sorta), why don't you try reducing the hitpoints of the torso? It would increase the chances of dying without the need of a random dice toss.
Any percentage of reduction might be translated directly onto more chances of dying.

YokoZar

This will require a bit more scripting, but is there a way to make the chance variable based on whether or not the raider is "interesting"?  I'd like to have less instadeaths for raiders that:

1) We've seen before
2) Have a relation with a colonist
3) Are in the list of "people I want to see this game"

iamjaylyn

i have it but it shows up red in the mod list idk why

CorpusCallosum

Could this be made compatible with Death Rattle? The mod author of Death Rattle said that if you use Harmony patches instead of detours, they'll be compatible. Could this be done? These mods together would make for a much more immersive experience.

Alenerel

Could you make that hulk can be used in men but not women?

Also it says that the targeted version is wrong formatted.

Thanks you

kubolek01

No RNG death+Thrumbo=Medical farm/chance to autotame/more blood around.
Eat lead, walking pile of silver! (greedy Player)
I...I can't do it. Leave it alive, please!(inner soul)
It lives 200 years to end up as a jacket?!(realists mind)
If I would go to vacation in off-Earth, even fictional place, I'd choose Nibel.

Petrenko

Another mod i consider essential for me to play B18^^

Thanks for giving us this gem =)