Alpha 16 unstable branch feedback

Started by Tynan, December 12, 2016, 01:49:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeLemmer

The cost modifier to weapons is hampering my efforts to sell the poor-quality weapons I craft. It also looks like clothing isn't getting the deadman's 90% discount. I think a more elegant way of handling this would be to make selling cost drop exponentially with quality, and then lower the quality of most raiders' weapons. (Unless they're crafting new weapons after every raid, it doesn't make sense for most of them to have weapons above 80%.)

I would suggest having clothes deteriorate faster with combat damage, but that would either require making them easier to craft or having some way of repairing them. (Personally, I would prefer the latter, just so I could eventually have a 100% Shield Generator.)

Daguest

-Plague is WAY too strong now. It used to be dangerous, but now it's basically randomly pick colonist and kill them. My main doctor (and half the colony) became sick. And he died at 93% immunity, despite using an excellent medical bed + vital monitor. The reason ? Because my next doctor had rather low skill (6, blame RNG). In short, if your doctor is affected, he is going to die.
Another colonist is sharing the same fate, because I didn't have a medical bed for him. None of them have medical condition which increase the plague (a few scars here and there), so I guess it's related to that (it progressed much faster for them than the others).
-Caravans is kinda useless. It takes forever to move to a nearby colony/camp, and the reward is merely some trade. While the trade is good, the price in food is very high. As for raiding, I haven't tested thoroughly, just used the console to pop in a base, and the loot didn't seem interesting at all for the cost (food + fight).
-Can we have a "super" speed on the world map ? Taking my whole colony as a caravan to travel to the closest NPC colony took me a good 5m doing nothing but watching paint dry (IE the world map).
-Can we have a travel food that will occur a mood debuff on the colony map ? Pemmican is not good at all, and my caravan was mostly food, which s***. Especially considering in real life, they would forage/hunt and cook on the way, thus limiting the amount of food used.

Hieronymous Alloy

Quote from: MikeLemmer on December 16, 2016, 02:05:33 AM
The cost modifier to weapons is hampering my efforts to sell the poor-quality weapons I craft. It also looks like clothing isn't getting the deadman's 90% discount. I think a more elegant way of handling this would be to make selling cost drop exponentially with quality, and then lower the quality of most raiders' weapons. (Unless they're crafting new weapons after every raid, it doesn't make sense for most of them to have weapons above 80%.)

I would suggest having clothes deteriorate faster with combat damage, but that would either require making them easier to craft or having some way of repairing them. (Personally, I would prefer the latter, just so I could eventually have a 100% Shield Generator.)

This would be my preferred solution also. Raider weapons are almost always low quality / bad durability anyway, so I doin't think you would need to penalize that further, even -- the existing durability / quality curve is fine.

There should be an especially sharp drop for quality below 50% and 20% respectively. Why are traders buying tatters?
My Rimworld guide on steam (updated for A16!): http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=813720217

Bobylein

As scrubs and toilet paper I guess? I bet it's pretty hard to get toilet paper on a rimworld...

Andy_Dandy

Quote from: MikeLemmer on December 16, 2016, 02:05:33 AM

No, that's a less elegant solution. It would nerf the raiders. It's alot more elegant to make the loot from them less lucrative.

Wanderer_joins

If you lower the quality of raiders' weapons you lower their strength, which is already shoddy.

MikeLemmer

Raider strength can be rebalanced by other means to compensate (higher Shooting/Melee skills, higher accuracy per % quality for weapons, etc).

RemingtonRyder

If you look at the tooltip when you're trading things, you will see a list of price modifiers.

So for example, selling weapons to a combat supplier is a really bad idea, because on top of the modifier that you get because you're selling, you get another penalty because it's weapons you're selling and they have plenty.

Andy_Dandy

Quote from: MikeLemmer on December 16, 2016, 11:20:27 AM
Raider strength can be rebalanced by other means to compensate (higher Shooting/Melee skills, higher accuracy per % quality for weapons, etc).

Then you make them all to lucrative too recruit, and soon all your colonists will consist of these superskilled fighters. You just create new problems instead of the more elegant solution of A16.

Tynan

Hey let's please focus on discussing your play experiences. I'll handle the design reasoning :) Thanks.

You're welcome to make another thread if that's what you want to talk about, but this is for evidence-based feedback.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Fafn1r

I can't get my A16 desert colony up and running. Between higher temperatures, longer production and research times at debuffed tables, longer healing-and-going-berserk-from-exceptional-pain and longer growing crops - it's too much with Cassandra extreme. That long lasting pain mood debuff is the worst - unless I roll colonists with sanguine/iron-willed the WILL have mental breaks after fights.

I love it. ;D Finally extreme difficulty matches its description.

Grishnerf

my experience with drugs in a16 (so far) :

Normal Biome, Cassandra Rough , playing full drug addiction Colony. reaching 5th year :

I'm around 20 pawns with 50k silver lying around.

1) Trading in general like others have said is too much rewarding at the moment.
I think it is just the trading prices.
I'm not even sold out, I have all my stuff ready to sell more.. (1,5k yayo, 1k flake, around 3k neutramine,
2 orbital-trade-beacon warehouses full of devilstrand clothes, alpaca chairs etc the list goes on..)

I also have bought ALL the important stuff like bionics, body parts, big Screen TVs, etc..
It never was this easy before.

Especially drug production feels way too easy and rewarding.
Plant field, forget about it, Profit.
I honestly dont know what to do with the silver.
maybe start unefficient silver sculpture production for the beauty. :D

2) Using Yayo + Beer in general is much more dangerous now.
Somehow i liked it to remove cancer in nearly all of my colonists and give ~10 of them new kidneys.
BUT i think overall drugs damaging bodyparts is a bit too much at the moment.
Of my 20 colonists there are 6 people left that have no damaged kidney or brain.
5 People have a permanent damaged brain. 4 Cirrhosis. 2 people died. Uncounted kidneys.
Mostly all on yayo+ beer.
Also Yayo makes nearly everyone addicted, even on first use.
On the other hand, my crafters are sometimes crafting 24/7 on Wakeup and never get addicted.
Only Yayo.

At the 2-3rd year i stopped playing yayo addicts, cause it was too dangerous.
The 4th year was really a pain getting the best pawns "clean" again.
Surviving the yayo-binge-event-cycles and the operations for new body parts.

but after all, somehow a great experience!

TL:DR 

1) far too easy to make Money with drugs.
2) using yayo is not worth, cause of the new effects to brain and kidney.
Born in Toxic Fallout
Drop-Pod Escape Artist

Tynan

Thanks for the feedback everyone! New build is up. 0.16.1389.

Reduced drug profitability a bit.
Global trade price factors are somewhat worse.
Dialog_FormCaravan, Dialog_LoadTransporters, Dialog_Trade, and Dialog_SplitCaravan now cache their mass and days worth of food values.
Fix: Split caravan dialog tabs use wrong translation keys.
Language data update. Fix player content issue.
"Days worth of food" is now cached for the caravan's inspect pane.
Player content update.
Fix: Pawns take penoxycyline even though they binge on a different drug.
Fix 2829: Pets eat forbidden food (in weird frequency patterns)
Mitigate 2866: No thoughts in group with (NeedBeauty) for pawn Connor
Fix: Pets ignore restriction with drafted master and no-follow on
Mitigate 2865: GetMainThoughts corrupts its own temp data
Fix 2864: Pawns that aren't all that into their beautiful lover have nearly static moods
Fix: Mass calculation when trading as a caravan does not include silver.
Fix: Replacing wall with cooler refunds more resources than used
Fix: Colonists prioritize hauling bodies over burying them
"Split caravan" and "Merge caravans" commands use pack muffalo image.
Info tab says if an animal is a pack animal.
Deadman's score can now send the score zero. Apply a 0.5 offset, then factor. This should make them NEVER want to pick up bad deadman's clothes in most cases.
Fix 2860: Clothing looted from corpses with Reform Caravan not considered deadman's
Fix: Colonists freeze when they try to load a transport pod outside of their allowed area
Fix: Animals do not wake up to form a caravan
Fix: Burning sound is sometimes played on all maps
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Icarus

Minor suggestion: add visual lines which you can toggle on world map that tell you where the equator is et cetera.

More than minor suggestion: add random planetary wobble on mapgen which makes seasons not planet-wide.

chch88

i think there should be ability to exclude deadmans clothes in outfit tool, you can choose certain quality, exact hitpoint percent, exclude items, but you cant forbid deadmans clothes, maybe they should be included by default in anything outfit, but once tailoring established you certainly dont want your pawns wearing such clothes no matter the circumstances.

about factions bases we raid on global map, they look so small and pitiful makes me want to build then something better, i hope there would be bigger, better protected ones, as the game progress.