Alpha 16 unstable branch feedback

Started by Tynan, December 12, 2016, 01:49:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alenerel

Someone said in the steam forum that thrumbos dont increase caravan capacity and I have read here that its not very well stated which animals can carry things in the caravan. I havent tried caravans but I would like that it was easy to understand, which animals to use.
Maybe make that all animals that can haul be part of the carrying caravan?

Jaymistic

Quote from: mumblemumble on December 17, 2016, 04:44:37 PM
the backstory test subject - test subject  afeeba (feeb) dafo has +3 medicine as adult, but doctoring disabled.

btw, I know I said this before, but has anyone thought the flammability aspect of chem fuel is a bit..oddly low?...yes, I'm bringing that up again, sorry, But I cant help but notice this, especially after a boomalope exploded a wooden shed filled with it, and there wasn't a massive problem caused by it, meanwhile a mortar hitting my artillery round storage made a crater, and killed 2 guys. punched a hole in my base. For those unaware, chemfuel has a flammability of 100%, same as bodies, cloth, ect... And I would expect it would explode like a combination of mortar shells and inferno cannons. And I'd honestly rather not wait for a17 for that, if It can be helped.. but I don't realize how complex this would be. So if its simply unrealistic to code/ balance in a day or 2 well...I guess I understand. But Ill be damned if its not kinda glaring issue to immersion when firefighting a room full of jet-fuel is a 1 man job, and low risk.

Speaking of mortar rounds, it seems if the mortar shell is destroyed by an explosion, or series of explosions fast enough, it will not actually go off, it wont have a sympathetic detonation, but will simply despawn.

I would like to imagine that your character, Feeb has the potential to be a doctor, but does not want go down that road. You can look at it from that perspective.

I'm not going to get started on that fire, chemicals and explosion debate. We will be talking for days. I think things should be reworked, but we probably won't see anything until A17.

Arekusandoru

Sorry for the offtopic, but can I continue my test colony after the release? Will saves be compatible?

Casazzo

QuoteIf you're willing to play with bugs and imbalances, and to have your saves broken randomly and without warning, you can now test the unstable version of Alpha 16!

You are a liar! There are no bugs. You promised me gamebreaking bugs. And after 7 hours of playtime i did not find any ;-(

My Feedback:
- I love the trade-balance! It just feels natural.
- I like the changed balance regarding producing weapons (especially the work-time) and clothing. Feels more balanced and natural now.

- I am still neutral / slightly unhappy with the taming percentages. You could increase them by relative (!) 50-100% and it would feel much less tedious. No more thann 100% though.

- New Science tree looks ok. I tried a bigger UI and the lines hide behind the signs often. Is it dynamically created?

- Chemfuel does not explode while burning?

- Caravans need more (mouseover)-information ingame.

Edit: Sorry after reviewing my notes i found one thing: After changing the UI Scale my resolution changed frp 2550x1440 to 15xx something. I could change i back without problems though.

zandadoum

havent read through comments, so this might have been mentioned already:

when sending out a caravan, i'd like there to be an option to "return to origin" and maybe a warning of "50% of food spend, need to turn back"

MikeLemmer

I just started a game in a very hot (125F average) tropical jungle, and the map spawned with no animals on it. Absolutely none. It is a plant-only rainforest. Is this working as intended? Or an oversight in the animal spawning rules?

shigimoru

If you play to win instead of pretending to play sim city, is there any point at forming caravans/raiding and expanding your colony instead of just rushing the spaceship? Because currently I don't see an incentive to do so, and self imposed goals and challenges are not my thing.
Building the spaceship and winning is much easier than anything else. And by the time I've build the spaceship I am burned out on that playthrough anyway

Wanderer_joins

There is no strong incentive to raid nearby pirates' camps or to form caravans/outposts to develop trading. But, you can.  We've just a whole new world/game balance to explore, a whole economy to work on, i've no doubt Tynan has/will have plans for the easy part (end game).

carbon

Pemmican, as a trading good, is just as strong if not slightly stronger than it was in A15 (based on my quick foodstuff -> bionics conversion math [A15= 550:1, A16= 525:1 @Intense]). Given that you no longer need to spend silver to call in traders (just send a pemmican-fueled one yourself), it's quite possible this is an overpowered strategy, although I'll need to spend another day or two with it to be sure.

The one thing working against this is the temperature de-buff to the stove-in-freezer setup, but even that isn't slowing things too much.

Pemmican is also comparable to silver in value per weight, so a caravan full of pemmican converts nicely to a caravan full of silver. I can't help feeling we should just convert to a pemmican-based economy.

----

Also, I saw a muffalo eat entire fully-grown cactus. Is that intentional?

----

It's fairly easy to miss the notification that a caravan has arrived at its destination (I assume there's an accompanying sound as well, which I don't hear with the volume shut off). I'd prefer it if there was some persistent visual cue that you have a caravan awaiting further instructions. Either the clock (L) idling symbol on all of your caravan member's portraits, or convert the 'your caravan has arrived' thing into a yellow / blue card like the current initial "caravan ready" card.

I don't particular like the idea my colonists could ultimately starve to death because I didn't see a small, 5 second notification.

Ashiver

I think your own caravans can be ambushed though, so there's some risk there compared to calling them.  Although if you just base immediately next to an outlander town maybe there isn't any risk of ambush.  Basing adjacent to outlanders should carry some risk anyway since it makes the travel time really short, maybe if there were more numerous factions and more faction standing randomization it would help.   As it stands currently it's very likely that they will be friendly.  Perhaps you could potentially show up and they could be under attack themselves, or starving, or they could tell you they just spent all their silver on an orbital trader. 

Tynan

Just updated to 0.16.1391, with some critical fixes.

Thanks for the ongoing feedback. We're not going to address everything for A16 but we will take everything into account eventually.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Fafn1r

Can we please have an option to set when a caravan is resting? I just had my pawn die, because rescue team stopped to rest.

Avis

i've run across a few issues:
1)
While i had a caravan traveling through a large stretch of arid shrublands, everyone got downed by heatstroke and the caravan was stopped with no way i can tell to get them back and going again?
2)
attacks on my caravan ( 3 melee tribal and 2 dromedaries ) seem to always be unbeatable,
This is probably just because i'm sending out caravans too early in the game, but yeah.
3)
My caravan seems to like resting for the night right before they arrive at there destination, this is probably just a product of chance, but it can be a tad annoying.
I remember the days of giving prisoners peg legs, and then removing them to immobilize them.

Alenerel

About luciferium, it seems too bad to be used now. My idea is to increase manipulation to 10% and move speed to 10%, from the current 5%.

What do you think?

Polder

I have tried ice sea starts with relatively managable temperature (avg. -30 C°) on extreme Phoebe, with the default scenario.

I continue to find it annoying how one must be very picky when choosing colonists for such a start. "Incapable of " hauling or fighting, or anything that increases chance to have a mental breakdown makes a colonist totally unsuitable. The trait system would be more interesting if traits were not strictly negative or positive but more nuanced (like the psychopath trait having both a negative and positive effect). There are also too many old and sick colonists with the default settings.

Importing building materials on an ice sea start is a challenge. I quickly realised that one must start right next to a friendly trade partner due to the very low carrying capacity of colonists. Food can be sort of managed (seemingly) by rushing hydroponics, killing off the pet, enslaving one of your colonists and selling them for food. I can't remember how much steel a colonist can carry per trip, but I think it's about 50.

Also when I take slaves to a trade trip, I get the message that they can't reach the exit (or something along those lines), but everything seems to work regardless.