Alpha 16 unstable branch feedback

Started by Tynan, December 12, 2016, 01:49:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Polder

When planning to send a caravan, I would also like to know whether my colonists are sufficiently protected from cold or heat to make it till the end. The character gear menu tells me about the comfortable temperature range (-14 C° to 32 C° for one of my colonists), but will anything below -14 C° cause physical harm or merely unhappy thoughts?

MikeLemmer

Personally, I'm currently not liking the sea ice starts. It's extremely hard, yeah, but the complete lack of minerals and animals also makes it utterly boring. It's essentially building on a blank map.

newcadence

Quote from: MikeLemmer on December 18, 2016, 01:25:45 PM
Personally, I'm currently not liking the sea ice starts. It's extremely hard, yeah, but the complete lack of minerals and animals also makes it utterly boring. It's essentially building on a blank map.
I heard that Tynan said that the biome wasn't meant as an extreme challenge as much as it was a stop when travelling around the northern poles. Ain't gonna stop me, though.

Grishnerf

After the last version update i have a blurry screen while moving the camera on triple Speed.
It was not that before.

BUT Performance is nice, my screen is blurry but i have no mini stutterlags on my pawns.
Everything is moving in a flow. (many pawns + animals)
Born in Toxic Fallout
Drop-Pod Escape Artist

MikeLemmer

Quote from: newcadence on December 18, 2016, 01:40:20 PM
Quote from: MikeLemmer on December 18, 2016, 01:25:45 PM
I heard that Tynan said that the biome wasn't meant as an extreme challenge as much as it was a stop when travelling around the northern poles. Ain't gonna stop me, though.

Got a link to his statement saying that? Or can Tynan himself confirm the Sea Ice biome isn't actually meant to basebuild on?

Calahan

Quote from: MikeLemmer on December 18, 2016, 02:15:56 PM

Got a link to his statement saying that? Or can Tynan himself confirm the Sea Ice biome isn't actually meant to basebuild on?
Here is a quote by Tynan regarding this (from reddit)

Tynan - "I don't think it's really possible to survive here, it's really there so you can walk over it while going somewhere else."
https://www.reddit.com/r/RimWorld/comments/5i1qqt/new_biome_sea_ice_for_the_ridiculously_hardcore/db57npm/

Rayneteir

I'm personally not a fan of the debuff from wearing dead men's clothing. Part of the fun of raids (and now raiding) is getting some loot for your colonists from the corpses, and now that is essentially taken away from the game, making raids more of a nuisance than something that is fun and rewarding.

MikeLemmer

Quote from: Calahan on December 18, 2016, 02:24:10 PM
Quote from: MikeLemmer on December 18, 2016, 02:15:56 PM

Here is a quote by Tynan regarding this (from reddit)

Tynan - "I don't think it's really possible to survive here, it's really there so you can walk over it while going somewhere else."
https://www.reddit.com/r/RimWorld/comments/5i1qqt/new_biome_sea_ice_for_the_ridiculously_hardcore/db57npm/

Hrm, then should it be possible to select Sea Ice when choosing a random site?

MikeLemmer

Quote from: Tynan on December 18, 2016, 10:46:42 AM
Just updated to 0.16.1391, with some critical fixes.

Thanks for the ongoing feedback. We're not going to address everything for A16 but we will take everything into account eventually.

What did you change to the savefiles? The v1391 savefiles are much larger than previous versions'. Even the smallest mapsize on a 30% world is over 9MB large; I can't zip it small enough to attach to my posts in the Bugs forums.

Tynan

Don't try to build a colony on sea ice. It's absolutely not intended or designed for that.

Quote from: MikeLemmer on December 18, 2016, 03:19:12 PM
The v1391 savefiles are much larger than previous versions'.

Which previous versions? Alpha 15?
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

mumblemumble

Quote from: Tynan on December 18, 2016, 04:01:09 PM
Don't try to build a colony on sea ice. It's absolutely not intended or designed for that.
Maybe you should take a page from doom, and add the text when trying to start "Are you sure you want to choose this? This isn't even remotely fair".
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

Lerin

Game definitely need a Supply and demand system...

If my trade partner live in tree biomes, demand should be a really low for wood logs.

ReZpawner

Early on, the starting save-file was 2MB tops, in the latest version it's 13MB. (Alpha 16).
There is absolutely no change in the size for the saves between the last versions and the one prior to it though. At least not for late-game.

Speaking of savegames, I heard some rumours about extra pawn data being saved that wasn't needed? Which slows the game down? Has this been addressed in A16? If not, how do we deal with it manually?

Also, is uranium supposed to be this rare? I can hardly find it anywhere. It would be completely pointless to even consider making weapons out of it currently. Not to mention the other uses for it.

Tynan

Quote from: ReZpawner on December 18, 2016, 04:42:54 PM

Early on, the starting save-file was 2MB tops, in the latest version it's 13MB. (Alpha 16).
There is absolutely no change in the size for the saves between the last versions and the one prior to it though. At least not for late-game.

Okay, so when was "early on"? What are "the last versions"? Can you please state some version numbers?
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

ReZpawner

Quote from: Tynan on December 18, 2016, 06:05:39 PM
Quote from: ReZpawner on December 18, 2016, 04:42:54 PM

Sorry for the absolute shitload of edit\updates on this one, I've done some more testing, and it seems that it's simply the vegetation that causes the save-files to get so huge. On an icesheet map, it's the same save-file as it was before.

MikeLemmer, could you specify what maps the savegames you had issues with were on?

Edit: Last edit on this one, I swear: The size difference between an icesheet map and a temperate map is absolutely massive. On an icesheet, you'll typically have 32-35 000 lines in the savegame. On a temperate map, due to the vegetation, that number is 10 times that. averaging at around 350 000 lines.
This is due to every plant in the game, requiring this bit of code:

<thing Class="Plant">
                  <def>PlantGrass</def>
                  <id>PlantGrass32574</id>
                  <map>0</map>
                  <pos>(91, 0, 103)</pos>
                  <health>85</health>
                  <growth>0.8320659</growth>
                  <age>897560</age>
               </thing>