Show us your colony [Mega Thread]

Started by Celthric Aysen, April 06, 2014, 11:17:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sion

Quote from: Coenmcj on May 21, 2014, 09:16:11 PM
How has everyone been screenshotting their colonies anyhow,
I've tried both the window's snipping tool and the "Prt Scrn" button and neither have worked, that and I have no idea where Print screen button saves to. Can anyone fill me in please?

I use puush to capture and upload the images, works excellent, at least with the command Ctrl+Shift+2.
So many ideas... so little time...
Silence is the worst answer.

Coenmcj

Ah cheers, I'll hopefully get around to taking a pic of Phoenix later.
Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite

wild alaskan

here is the mess I have made, 80 colonists and counting!

Damien Hart

My latest colony, on Randy. Constant culling of wildlife to maintain framerate has filled the butcher's storage room, and then some. Until now, I've fed my colonist on foraged berries/agave, supplemented by the occasional muffalo herd. Now, it'll pretty much be meat for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Good thing there are no DF style food preferences.

Cala13er

Quote from: Damien Hart on May 24, 2014, 02:08:03 AM
My latest colony, on Randy. Constant culling of wildlife to maintain framerate has filled the butcher's storage room, and then some. Until now, I've fed my colonist on foraged berries/agave, supplemented by the occasional muffalo herd. Now, it'll pretty much be meat for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Good thing there are no DF style food preferences.

http://i.imgur.com/xkuNU2z.png

Wow! Really nice work sir! You've got further with my mod than even I managed. Insane, Especially the amount of nano-antenna solar panels you've got! Any chance I could have the gamesave? Could use this for screenshots.

Damien Hart

Quote from: Cala13er on May 25, 2014, 08:16:13 AM

Wow! Really nice work sir! You've got further with my mod than even I managed. Insane, Especially the amount of nano-antenna solar panels you've got! Any chance I could have the gamesave? Could use this for screenshots.

Thanks. Yeah no problem, I'll upload one when I get a chance.

On a side note, quite a few of the nano panels were just for looks. I made everything on small, self contained circuits (to avoid constant thermonuclear wiring catastrophes) and a couple here and there didn't look as good.

Edit: An update on the colony, day 576

Now to add grass, for that 'homey' feel.  :P

And a save file for Cala13er (and anyone else who wants to take a look ;D)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/erffhnvlcwu718x/City%20of%20Ashes.zip

My active mods list:

-Alpha Muffalo
-Antelope
-Architect+
-Clutter
-Dresser
-Embrasures
-Fertilizer Pump
-Grim Rim
-Industrial Rim
-Miscellaneous (Lifeform Scanner)
-Project Armory
-Royal Bed
-Turrets Pack

mrofa

Damn nice architecture, it really feels nice
All i do is clutter all around.

JinxWolf

This is my colony, not much as i've just started it today. Bottom left is geothermal generator. Above that my long line of solar panels. Above that is my utility/power station. Above that is my hydroponics farm. Above that is my soon to be Cafeteria. To the right of the Cafeteria and the Hydroponics Facility is my colonies barracks. Below that is my Killzone or Kill-box. Next to that is my for now simple research center and communication station.

The outside walls of my base is layered with Barbed Wire so that raiders may only funnel inside the kill zone. So far i've taken no losses. Off to the side is my raiders grave yard and below that is for the dogs as they seem to chew up my raiders graves so I just feed the near-by mutts, wolves and dogs with that supply of human meat.

As far as mods go, I have quite a list active:

-BetterpowerHard
-Clutter
-Doors
-Dresser
-E-Furniture
-E-Vehicles
-Fertile Plains - Valleys (BP+)
-Grassless Sand
-Kompression Mod
-Muffalo Breeding
-Project K9
-Shields
-VanillaPlus

vagineer1

Quote from: Headshotkill on April 21, 2014, 02:25:45 PM
Here's how the colony started,  for the first time I am using shared rooms to sleep in because the mountain I'm digging in to is quiet small and I think for most colony's the bedrooms take up the most space so I had no choice but to keep it compact. First there wasn't a wall around the fields and two solar-panels, I had a small barricade of sandbags to hold of small raider bands.
The workshop above the bedroom, the prison and the kitchen were the first expansion of the base.

Here we see the latest version of my defenses, I hate using killboxes which feel a bit like cheating to me.
I'm using 3 mods:

Betterpower+
BetterpowerHard
Turretpack

First we have a line of heavy turrets (WHICH AREN'T OVERKILL, I get 40-60 raiders each time.) then we have some sniper turrets to shoot down those who flee. All of the sandbags are surrounded with charged wire, this is needed because when a tribe attacks they just storm towards the sandbags and use it as there cover which nearly killed one of my colonists. This way I'm still able to fight a tribe attack of 60 raiders.

Here we have a solar-field which provided most of the power early on and still is an important part of the base.
I also had 2 growing-fields here in the beginning before I had hydroponics.

The room with the large batteries in the middle was first a cremation room to burn the corpses, but people kept wandering in there for some reason getting negative thoughts about corpses so I had to move the cremation chamber down. To the right that geothermal generator was only possible through the use of a laserdrill from the betterpower+ mod which dug the geyser. You can also see the dining hall.

This is the latest expansion of the base, a nuclear reactor with 4 layers of rock wall around it cause I don't know how dangerous this thing is and I don't want to blow up my base. I put some red lights around it to make it look EVEN MORE DANGEROUS!

Here is the trading beacon, I get 99% of my silver by selling guns, I only buy uranium and metal.

And here is the whole colony, I'm quiet proud of it.
I like how it slowly expanded and in the end uses the whole mountain, I think I will keep using shared rooms as they aren't that bad and very compact.

Thank you for making this game and all the modders, I haven't had so much fun from a game in years.  :D
And thanks to Ortega, the colonist who makes the best food in the universe keeping my colonists happy! (You can see him in several pictures.) :P

You have a colonist called Ortega too? I had him in one game and afterwards I always name one of my starter (Male) colonists Daniel "Ortega" Ortega.
You see this tank?

This tank is the epitome of "I'm going to destroy you"

This tank can make Chuck norris cry.

All hail the Takemikazuchi.

Youraputz

271 Days with Randy.  Currently reworking the kill zone (expanding it out to the left).  Base has gone through a couple of major iterations/expansions.  2 large solar/orbital areas with partial roofs to (hopefully) lower the chance of raider drops.  1 kill box with a partial roof so that if they want to drop into something, they drop into their demise.  The initial common area surrounded by bedrooms and growing/storage to the right.  To the north the first major expansion adding a second growing/cooking/sleeping area for more colonists.  I also hollowed out the entire mountain, netting 3 geothermal vents and about 8000 metal.

Celthric Aysen

wow that kill zone is huge! compared to my kill zone
My DeviantART|E-Vehicles|Flebe's  Channel
"♫"Every people that i see i will never understand"♪"

SSS

Well, I suppose I'll be moving on. This colony was a lot of fun, but I'm pretty ready for a new one. I wish I had taken a "before" picture now. I'll have to be sure to do so next time, especially since I like building into the landscape.

The cafeteria, comms room, three bedrooms, and geothermal room were the beginning of this base. The geothermal generator was outside back then, and there was a huge rock barrier along the south side here. How things have changed! You can see my main energy storage area here as well. Prisoners just sleep on the floor of the main hall.

The main bunk area. I built this pretty early, but the upper two levels came in as I gained colonists. You can see the hydroponics area also.

Mass food storage. This was carved out of solid rock (you can see a bit of rock roof remainder on the right). This was the first colony I've had where food shortage wasn't a big danger. Mrofa's Kompression mod helps keep the numbers in check.

I think I'll stop mentioning how much of this used to be rock now. Anyway, general storage and some light turrets courtesy of the Liandri Corp mod. This is probably the most weakly defended spot in the base. I've had some messy encounters here before...

Second geotherm generator and my first two growing areas. It was all berries at first, since berries don't cause unhappy thoughts when eaten raw. When I discovered that my colonists still don't want to eat them raw for some reason, I diversified to include potatoes.

This third geotherm generator used to be outside of the colony walls (before building the food storage), but I extended the walls later for the power benefits. The axillary solar panels were a mid-game addition. The energy defense turrets can handle small raids all by themselves, but I haven't fought a battle here since before I carved out the food storage area, so they haven't seen much use. You can see my trash pile off to the side... funny how it's safe to leave frag grenades right next to the outside of your fortress wall. :P

The northern end of the base. I consider that wall to be my main gate, and the massive turret defense reflects that. Pirate raids of 50-70 have been faced down here... I kept meaning to add more cover on the flanks to lessen casualties, but I never got around to it, since I can just keep the gates closed for most raids. When removing all of the dirt and sand to ease the workload on my cleaners, I decided to leave the agave bushes. Those muffalo wandered in just before I closed the gates and started taking pics. :3

The graveyard. I don't know how many times I've burned this down, but it was numerous. It's one of the few areas in my colony with actual dirt. Lol. I'll get to that hallway in a moment.

Secondary bunk area. Since this extends into a full side wing (which we aren't looking at quite yet), the comms unit was added for ease of access. The bottom-right door is where we're going next...

My primary solar field. The battery back-up below was my last addition to the colony. It contains more energy than all of my primary batteries put together, and is disconnected from the main power grid.

The secondary cafeteria for the side wing. Those blue MRE's are spoil-free versions of meals, an addition of the Kompression mod by mrofa. They're my back-up food source in case of a solar flare.

The east wing. It took awhile to mine all of that out and develop it. :P

I mined a bit north of the east wing, but I never ended up developing this area fully.

A peek at the north side of the map, if you were curious. Yes, it does look like a face.

I built this connector late-game so I could get to...

...the rich soil over here. Someone should patch the fertilizer mod to turn normal soil into this stuff. It seems to be at least as good as hydroponics. Maybe better. Crops grow really fast here.

And finally, my second solar panel field. This really, really helped with the over-the-top power consumption. It's a bit hard to see since it's dark, but I have conduits all over the place for redundancy's sake. I'd rather not have an explosion cut off the power from here. I could actually squeeze more solar panels in, but I like the open space-feel this grassy field has.

That's it. I had a lot of fun on this map. My original three colonists made it through all 440 in-game days and an additional 27 (living) colonists later. I'll probably want to come here again eventually, but for now it's time to go. Special thanks to Austipaio and mrofa for the mod experience. :)

Sion

Quote from: wild alaskan on May 23, 2014, 11:57:17 PM
here is the mess I have made, 80 colonists and counting!

Picture

You should NEVER build solar panels without at least 1 gap, preferably 2 or more tiles between them (because fire can "jump" 2 tiles), if it starts burning (lightning strike, short circuit?) you can't put out out the fire and all the solar panels in the cluster are DOOMED, unless it starts raining.
So many ideas... so little time...
Silence is the worst answer.

a89a89

MY alpha 4 colonie! Trying to do a somewhat urban colony with no mods.

db48x

Damien, I really like the look of your village.

Here's mine, nestled between all the hills. That was a _very_ conveniently-placed geothermal vent, I must say:

Took this picture while they were out hunting boomrats with grenades.