Show us your colony [Mega Thread]

Started by Celthric Aysen, April 06, 2014, 11:17:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evul

This is my current colony project :)

Celthric Aysen

@Evul
wow that's a pretty awesome base you got there, you really went all out on those furniture.
My DeviantART|E-Vehicles|Flebe's  Channel
"♫"Every people that i see i will never understand"♪"

Ender

@Evul

Its a very nice, and pretty colony, though it seems your colonists don't really get much priority when it comes to bedding :P
The voices in my head tell me to burn colonists....

Rowe

Welcome my friends...

To Bunker

They are jealous of our riches, of our rainbow carpet and silver lined walls (still being renovated)

Our conveyor belt system from the mines are the wonder of the sector!

Our defences are strong and our weapons numerous 

But the future looks dark, Bunker will prevail!

*Edit bonus pic, dangers of taking in the homeless

Damien Hart

It would be a shame to see this thread forgotten, and in the lead up to Alpha 7, I think now is the perfect time to revive it!

So before you abandon your Alpha 6 colony for greener (or perhaps redder) pastures, why not post a screenshot for the rest of us to admire!

Tynan

Quote from: Damien Hart on September 21, 2014, 03:23:20 AM
It would be a shame to see this thread forgotten, and in the lead up to Alpha 7, I think now is the perfect time to revive it!

So before you abandon your Alpha 6 colony for greener (or perhaps redder) pastures, why not post a screenshot for the rest of us to admire!

Hell yeah, some of these colonies are epic. With A7 you'll be able to build walls out of gold and stuff so there will be even more customization.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

PookyJM

Welcome to The Pond, a non modded, ~ 260 days old rough Phoebe colony
The main complex is inside a mountain for protection and is running on 4 geothermal generator. I even found a "hole" deep inside the mountain that i've used to build my space ship away from any danger so I could escape if thing turned to hot (and it did!).
I had 2 layers of defence where each red carpet was a turret, the 1st layer is pretty much destroyed after a bunch of mechanoid droped right on top of it. Almost all the metal of the map was used in building that huge ship for ~25 colonist so that was the point of no return since i could not rebuild my defence anymore.
It was my 1st time finising a spaceship, i know my defence where nothing compare to what is out there but that was a crazy lot of fun !

Tynan

Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Simulacrum

Hey guys. First post, etc. Now, on to the colony.

This was my first one (after a unmodded 30 min startup to learn the game), and I think I must've made a bunch of mistakes with it because I just have to abandon it at this point.

Anyway, here's the overview, complete with Squirrel being useless as usual (click for bigger view):

Yeah, don't bother helping cleaning up or gathering resources or anything. Just stand there practicing your shooting skill; maybe it'll climb above 20 sometime, eh? Jackass.

I had great plans for the layout, but I can't seem to find the time to properly build it in-between all the massive raids, AI crashlandings, lack of resources, and constant need to focus on repairing and upgrading my defences, leading to many hastily constructed sections that wound up looking more ugly than they did well-planned. I'll have to work on that.

Here's the entrance to the colony, complete with the ever-present pile of bodies:

It seems my defences are inadequate to deal with the threats of a 3+ years old colony, but I don't get enough time between waves to gather enough resources to improve them.

Doesn't help that the entire surrounding area constantly looks like this:

Raiders drop by to launch their ill-fated assaults on my colony, only to lose their minds on the way there from all the dead bodies they come across, usually like this: One guy loses his mind, the other guys kill him, guys with slightly better mental constitution than him now just watched an ally die, so their minds broke as well, which leads to more mind breaks, and so on, until roughly half of them end up either killing each other or wandering around in a daze outside of my base. They're still happy to kill any of my people who stray outside though, and I've lost too many guys to lucky one-shot-kills at this point to risk sending teams out to clean up anymore.

I kind of feel like the way that dead bodies (and equipment) never truly decay becomes a problem after a while. The entire map right now is filled with bodies and various items:
http://i.imgur.com/R7poHbc.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/8wruIww.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/iZ8aoHg.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/MPtHagI.jpg

Most of these are remnants of the abovementioned mechanic. Their huge horde arrives, to siege me or prepare before the assault or whatever. One guy loses his mind, his buddies kill him, and so the chain begins. The entire map is so filled with dead bodies at this point that sending my colonists out to clean them up risks them losing their minds to psychic pain, or them forgetting to eat before they leave the colony, or them getting really tired on their way there, or something.

I'll have to plan my next colony a little better than this one, which is just one bad drop or solar flare away from oblivion. Maybe take some advice on defences from the dedicated thread on it, eh.

Really great game so far though, gotten tons of fun out of it already. Looking forward to A7 and the ability to finally repair people's legs. I eventually had to put Farmer down, as one of her legs got blown off and she never truly recovered. 3 years after planetfall she's put down like a common animal lived past its purpose. Tragic. Her execu- er, euthenasia was pretty tragic too. The, uhm, skilled professional who handled it was a very skilled doctor but not as skilled a marksman. Let's just say it was a long, sad, very traumatizing process, made no better for being performed with a gatling gun. She's in a better place now, though, having been reduced to soylent green like so many before her. Circle of life right there.

This planet truly is a harsh mistress.

C. Fenderson

Quote from: Simulacrum on September 26, 2014, 06:52:20 PM
Cut because waaaaay too long
Thankfully I usually have a janitor or two.  Even when i played on Cassandra for about 2 years or so I never had a map littered with bodies and guns.  Burn the bodies, sell the guns/bows/pilas.

RemingtonRyder

So this is a colony that I just finished up with, because I'm going to try out some new mods. :)

keylocke

note : i was using a test version of alpha7 when i made this, so i tried to crop away the parts that displays "stuff" that are made of "stuff" that we aren't yet allowed to discuss.  :-\

anyways..

explanations : it's mostly the same as my previous base (but rearranged). but i'm gonna list some new stuff i've added/changed

-added "sectorized" onion skin stone walls (22) : which i think is a bit better than thick stone walls since it allows me to repair everything without going outside. the different "sectors" divides it between the Core areas and the other 2 areas. this limits the access of any enemy that manages to breach this wall.

- i added a repair corridor surrounding the turrets (14 : *typo*), allowing for easy repairs. it also allows me to shoot behind the turrets while being protected by alternate stone walls.

- the quarry is interesting (11) : this allows me to mine and cause it to collapse and give me more stones. without needing to go outside.

- the "Trap" doors (13) are called that, 'coz it attracts the enemy's attention while people from behind the doors will repair it. meanwhile the turrets will be raining down on them.

- i added an "exploding turret" trap ( 8 ) before the entrance to the core area of the base. this defends against anything the gets past the killzone, or anything that drops on the "outdoor garden" (9)

- i also added sandbags to my prison area (7), (this area coupled with the exploding turret, is my primary defense while the main killzone is still incomplete).

---------------------------

- i've arranged the "home zones" to minimize areas that might attract raider drops.

- i've also removed the home zone from my "hoard of goodies" (17) stockpile (i usually remove it's stockpile designation too, but i just added it here to show you where it's at). this is done to prevent wealth to add these items into it's calculation, while keeping the "goodies" close to my selling area

- the selling area is divided into 2 stockpiles (16). the smaller stockpile is my "wallet" that contains silvers, the larger stockpile is my "for sale" area (this is set to "critical" but i only activate this area when i'm about to sell stuff to a trader, and then i order peeps to prioritize hauling).

- i've also removed the spaceship (21) from my home zone. the reason i do this is 'coz most normal raiders are dropped a bit further away, but home zone raider drops are determined by your home zone area. (i might be wrong, but i've noticed that they tend to drop in roofless areas that are within the home zone)

- i've minimized the roofless area for the mortars and the solar panels (18,19). again to minimize the chances of raiders dropping there.

-------------------------------

notes 2 : i've been trying to hold on to this before posting 'coz some of the stuff here aren't made of "stuff" yet. (especially the prison area) but once alpha7 comes out i'd finally be able to discuss why i placed that prison in a prime location with high traffic..

edit : i was reading the "How to bring the colonies out into the open again?" thread.. http://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=6365.45 which is what made feel like sharing this. 'coz this is an "open field" base, that minimizes effects from raider drops, and it is quite capable of defending itself even against zerg swarms, via attack dilution, limiting wealth detected, limiting roofless home zone areas, etc..

RemingtonRyder

Snakeville!

Over on the right there is the main compound with a prison.  To the south of that there's a tailor's shop.  Then along the road to the west is the hospital, a stonecutter, a butcher's shop, more living quarters, and an as-yet incomplete warehouse for all the surplus meat.

It's called Snakeville because of the abundant cobras nearby. :)

Rayleigh

I have not played Rimworld for quite some time. A few months later I'm back and Alpha 7 is out. ;D So here is my latest base in Alpha 7.

An overview of my whole base. Note item no.15. I used dev mode to place a geyser underground. The other geysers, except item no.1 are all located far outside of my base, which make them prone to be the primary target for any attackers and sieges. Thus, I cheated a little bit to give me a second underground geyser :P:

The enemy sieges always appear on the North side of the map. You can see the remains of their sandbag defenses. I've deconstructed the sandbags and mortars from the North Middle area. I've left the dead bodies of the attackers on the North Western side of the map. Those dead bodies really help break down any attackers who set up their siege machines in that area with an instant -20 for seeing dead bodies.

North West of the map:

North East of the map:

This is my killbox. So far, the killbox is working quite nicely. Only on a couple of occasion, a few human attackers managed to get past it but that wasn't really much of a problem. By the time they get past the sandbags, they were close to dying anyway. A few stacks of stone are placed in the bypass tunnel so that whenever attackers are heading to the base, a stone wall will be built just before the plasteel doors so that the attackers will always try to enter through the killbox, instead of knocking on the doors:

Since my base in underground, I had to build really thick walls around the spaceship else, it will be the main target of the attackers. That will be a pain since each components costs a whole lot of metal and plasteels are freaking expansive on the market.

Just a close up view of the inner base. The base is built in such a way to also provide a place where I can defend from any attackers which managed to break trough the killbox. I've found out that this layout is suitable for guerrilla defense where you can hit and run, especially when dealing with large groups of mechanoids (Centipedes always manage to break through my killbox when they come in group of six and above >:().

The grid layout will, most of the time, split the mechanoids into smaller groups or even individuals. I will then use all the 11 colonist to focus fire on a single target and when they prime their weapon to fire, I'll lead them to hide in one of those corridors before ordering them to get to the hide side of the mechanoids.

This is my best sniper, who is fully bionic as far as I could go in the game (2 bionic eyes and arms for increased aiming accuracy, 2 bionic legs to run back to base when attackers start heading toward base. The dentures was not intended because apparently Power Armor Helmet doesn't protects the jaws  >:(). Accuracy with a Shooting level of 15 is 99.34%.

This is by far, my best colonist with +30% Global Work Speed. This really makes it superb in pretty much anything as he works and gains experience really fast.