[A16][WIP] Persistent Worlds [7.1.17 AEST][Features updated]

Started by scuba156, December 21, 2016, 10:01:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scuba156

Description
Persistent Worlds aims to allow continuous play through on an existing world, even after your first faction is long gone. Re-visit old bases that once belonged to your old colonies, with a chance to come across some traders or raiders who have taken over the land! Send caravans to your old colonies that survived and trade your goods with them!

Mod Goals/Features
NOTE: Persistent Worlds is currently an early work in progress. Features are not fully implemented, only use this for testing purposes until the WIP tag is removed.

• Start new colony using a world from a previous save (fully implemented)*
  • Trade with previous colonies (fully implemented)*
  • Convert old faction bases depending on previous end game (mostly implemented)*
  • Visit old maps from previous colonies (partially implemented)
  • Degrade old maps buildings over time (not yet implemented)
  • Traders/raiders on old maps (not yet implemented)

(* = recently updated)

Known Issues
Many... there are many known issues. This is more of a placeholder until later.

Screenshots
Since it seems there is no spoiler tag and to save bandwidth, screenshots are viewable on the Steam Workshop page

Author

• Me
Thanks

Downloads
NOTE: Persistent Worlds is currently an early work in progress. Features are not fully implemented, only use this for testing purposes until the WIP tag is removed.

scuba156

Just a quick update. I haven't been able to do much due to the Xmas holidays, but did manage to get some done. I am hoping to at least upload the source over the next few days.

Telefonmast

I really like this idea!
Keep up the work.

It's quite a sad moment once your colony is dead since then you either stop, wait, or reload the last save with everyone alive.
So having the ability to continue without dying of boredom is a nice concept.

Though some examples of "What is currently done" would be nice, same goes for what isnt done yet; "Stuff" doesn't tell much :P
Telefonmast - Ready to give you good phone connection!
- My mod project

scuba156

Thanks for the feedback!

That was all written at 2 am, I couldn't think of what I wanted to type exactly so the use of the word 'more' is a bit 'more' than I would like :p I will add some extra details and at least a screenshot soon, just be warned that it is a very early work in progress and looks ugly :D

Telefonmast

Everything has its humble beginnings
Telefonmast - Ready to give you good phone connection!
- My mod project

scuba156

OP has been updated, will add more info later.

I cleaned up a lot of my code (removing old commented code, unused usings, small bit of refactoring) in preparation for uploading the source, I still have to finish up a few things such as setting nextMapID before posting it.

I also moved the entry point to be on the select storyteller page instead of the create world page, and added a detour to StorytellerUI. This would currently be incompatible with any mod that uses custom pages, but I am unaware of any that currently do.

scuba156

After a big clean up of code, partial source has been posted to Github!

I say partial because I have decided to rewrite how the data gets edited now that I know a bit more about how RimWorld works, so I have not included any code that edits any data. All that currently is available is the new colony page detours and overrides as shown in the screenshots and loading of world data only. It will not work correctly once a landing site is selected, as there will be no player map, faction, or cryptosleep pods for starting colonists to spawn in.

scuba156

And another update:

Uploaded to steam workshop, link is in the OP.

Moved old faction to a new tribe faction, currently has random affinity towards you. Allows blank worlds to be loaded.

Grishnerf

the concept sounds amazing, i hope it all works out in the end!
Born in Toxic Fallout
Drop-Pod Escape Artist

scuba156

Quote from: Grishnerf on December 28, 2016, 11:19:11 PM
the concept sounds amazing, i hope it all works out in the end!
Thank you.

I've done a few updates over the past couple of days, mainly regarding cleaning of invalid refrences. More details are in each commit on github, I tried to summarize each commit in the first listed item. I will update the OP tomorrow.

scuba156

A few more updates today and there will be more to come.

Drug policies and outfits are now loaded, also cleaned up a few more warning messages during world loading. I've almost removed all the warning messages while loading a world from my save but I only have mine to go from so I might need a bit of help.

Would there be people that would kindly upload their A16 save file for me to test against? Preferably vanilla saves for now but a few mods is fine. Also the more you have done with the world/map the better. Thank you.

Nanao-kun

This looks pretty cool. I don't have any saves to spare though, all of mine are very heavily modded.

scuba156

Quote from: Nanao-kun on January 01, 2017, 12:19:18 PM
This looks pretty cool. I don't have any saves to spare though, all of mine are very heavily modded.
Thanks for the interest, helps to keep me motivated. I am happy to take a heavily modded save, it would be interesting to see if it works (it should)

As a quick update: all world related data should now be loaded, maps are also loaded but are currently kept in memory which could cause performance issues. Next up is working out the best way to deal with the old maps and entering them.

scuba156

Because I am being lazy today, like every other day, I'm just going to copy&paste what I wrote on steam:

QuoteThanks everyone. Hopefully it won't be long till the initial release. Once world and map loading is finished it will then be usable, otherwise you would need to start a new colony between updates. Because of this, I have to try to get everything right the first time or it will be a pain in the ass when I do fix it.

I do require some help though. If people could either test it out for a little while and let me know of any issues. Or if you could visit the pinned discussion thread and upload your save, no matter how many mods you have, that would be awesome. Thanks.

scuba156

Just pushed an update that will change your previous faction base to abandoned if no player pawns were on the map, or to destroyed if no player pawns were on the map but another factions pawns were. Instead of being destroyed, it will be changed to being owned by one of the factions with pawns on that map. It also currently works with 1 map.

After these things are finished, I can't think of anything else that needs to be done before load time, which means it will be in a usable state.