[1.5] Rah's Bionics and Surgery Expansion - v3.3 (April 11th, 2024)

Started by Rah, December 27, 2016, 02:49:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rah

1.51 - EPOE Hardcore Version
* Slight cost reduction on artificial nose and bionic ear.
* Removed natural eye, ear, nose and jaw harvest to enhance the importance of the bionic parts, and because of redundancy.
* Synthetic stomach now gives bonus to metabolism.

Some of the natural harvest options like noses and ears just didn't seem to fit very well into the mod. Here's why:

Eye: Doesn't make sense to be able to install something as complex as an eye early on. And later you get access to the bionic part anyway. I feel like the bionic eye should be the main goal for someone who's lost an eye. If you can take it from a prisoner or buy it from a trader, the incentive to get a bionic eye is diminished. It can also be argued that a natural eye might be more difficult to install than a bionic eye, which adds several problems.

Ear and nose: Small cosmetic surgeries that kinda step on their bionic counter parts. It also doesn't make much sense to be ripping noses and ears off of prisoners to me. Organ harvesting is important, but a nose? Artificial noses are available relatively early, and ears a bit later.

Jaw: Dentures are available early on, and then later, the bionic jaw. Also, if you install dentures on a healthy patient, a jaw will pop out for free with no penalty, which can then be sold. Not a good thing !

I think the mod is cleaner and better now, but If you feel like some of the removed parts should stay, feel free to present an argument !

edit: just to confirm: All natural organs are possible to harvest and install, including the stomach.

cap75

You must consider that some colonists DONT like bionics, making them constant moody with bionics.

Rah

Quote from: cap75 on January 13, 2017, 07:01:40 PM
You must consider that some colonists DONT like bionics, making them constant moody with bionics.

True, but that's how it is in vanilla as well. The only way to replace f.ex. an arm, is to buy a bionic part. And in all of the current surgery and bionic mods you can't replace limbs. I've included a limb harvest addon file in this mod, but it is unfortunately buggy and unbalanced due to vanilla coding. So a Prosthophobe will be moody in unmodded and modded games, unless you let them have missing limbs or hop around with peg legs.

The natural harvest options that were removed were also never part of the vanilla game, and I felt like they did not belong in a mod like this. However, making players choose between natural cosmetic surgery and bionic research paths could be a way to balance it so they don't conflict with each other.

cap75

True. Replace a limb is unrealistic, but an eye?

Rah

Quote from: cap75 on January 13, 2017, 09:53:11 PM
True. Replace a limb is unrealistic, but an eye?

I don't think it's very realistic to be able to replace something as complex as an eye on day 1. Researching and gathering materials for a bionic eye then seems pretty meaningless, don't you think? The colonist is already fixed. Also, I didn't say replacing limbs was unrealistic - not sure where you got that from. : o

Kendricks

Can you please consider using github, Dropbox and other upload services as a mirror? Mediafire is impossible for some people.

Rah

Quote from: Kendricks on January 13, 2017, 10:11:10 PM
Can you please consider using github, Dropbox and other upload services as a mirror? Mediafire is impossible for some people.

What is the problem you're having with it?

Napple

Are you planning on making a hardcore patch for the alien races?

Rah

Quote from: Napple on January 13, 2017, 10:26:06 PM

Could you specify what you mean?

Napple

Quote from: Rah on January 13, 2017, 10:44:18 PM

I should have specified if you were planning on releasing a epoe hardcore compatability patch for the Orassans,Asari,Or the Jaffa.

Rah

Quote from: Napple on January 13, 2017, 10:50:10 PM
Quote from: Rah on January 13, 2017, 10:44:18 PM

I should have specified if you were planning on releasing a epoe hardcore compatability patch for the Orassans,Asari,Or the Jaffa.

Unfortunately the author of the Asari and Jaffa mods has not released a EPOE patch yet, but when he does, let me know and I'll modify it to EPOE Hardcore. The Orassans mod loads a lot of errors at the moment, so I'm not sure why the author hasn't fixed them.

Kendricks

I simply can't download it, it doesn't work (only online with a phone atm). The others mentioned do work.

Quote from: Rah on January 13, 2017, 10:16:51 PM
Quote from: Kendricks on January 13, 2017, 10:11:10 PM

What is the problem you're having with it?

Rah

Quote from: Kendricks on January 14, 2017, 12:34:13 AM
I simply can't download it, it doesn't work (only online with a phone atm). The others mentioned do work.

Dropbox links added.

Kendricks

Quote from: Rah on January 14, 2017, 01:36:09 AM
Quote from: Kendricks on January 14, 2017, 12:34:13 AM

Thank you so much! :)

Dropbox links added.

Rah

1.52 - EPOE Hardcore Version
* Will continue updates without luciferium suppression from now on. not 100% happy with it after a lot of testing.

If you're already in a game there's no reason to start a new one just for this update. It's a small update with a minor impact on the game. Download only for new playthroughs. This is a relatively new mod, so there has been a lot of back and fourth testing different things. Hope you understand, and thanks for your patience !

Edit: Tested this version (1.52) on my own save (version 1.51), and it worked fine. If you get an error message when you get into your game, save (make sure you backup if you're playing with permadeath), exit and load back in. If it doesn't work, just revert to 1.51.