[1.0] Children and Pregnancy - v0.5b (2019/Feb/25)

Started by Thirite, December 27, 2016, 09:06:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Juno413

Quote from: Thirite on March 18, 2017, 01:58:28 AM
Hey, pretty good ideas. I don't think there's any in lore explanation of how vatgrown soldiers/slaves learn- whether they come out "educated" or have to learn from zero. I like the idea of copying passions though, and an acclamation period sounds excellent. Even if they're adults they were "just born" in a sense.

Think so? Well, if you ever wanted to play with the moodlet side of it, here's an idea. Accelerated growth, either by cloning or aging a child, could result in the affected person having negative feelings toward their original/parent. On the side of parenting it reflects what one could construe as neglect/laziness; thus the accelerated child would realize (through hypothetical talks with others) what they missed. You could do something similar with negative traits (pyro, nervous, etc), but I imagine that would be much harder to do.

And the absence of lore is a good point; cause it makes me ask, 'Why not both?' If you're already making a device that clones a person, perhaps consider modules (like Multi-analyzer) to expand the vat options (Base Clone, Clone + Passion, Clone + P + Skills). Adding functionality via separate equipment, in the sense of practicality, makes this over-complicated though. So you could have the vat start out with all 3 functions, just each function takes exponentially more time than the last (therefore the add-ons would purely mimic at M-A and just accelerate the vat's processes).

I hope these ideas do help out. Seeing this game become more immersive with major mods, like this one, is exciting.

geojak

My ideas for balancing:

Give kids a debuf on learning speed from birth until they have aged to teenager state.

Starts with -X  and reduced over time until 0 at age 14

This reflects the child's brain development

If we artificially increase the age/growth (vats)  of a kid, the child's brain will still not be developed fully or could be even madel  permanently limited of growing into a normal adults brain

for example: we put our newborn in a growing vat and let's say after 2 years it has a body of a 14 years old but the brain is only that of a 2 years old

Anyway, just ideals. I would love the focus  to be on natural development of child's to stay close to vanilla

Jstank

Maybe the growing vat has a built in matrix like simulation to keep the childs mind active during growing!

- Growing vat needs AI core to build...?
The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

- Bernard of Clairvaux

Rimrue

IMHO just being able to age up a child to adulthood (BTW is that 13? 16? 18?) would be enough of a bonus without increasing their skills too. I think that's where the neurotrainer that already exists in the game would come in. Or the books Thirite us talking about introducing.

I do think children may need a debuff in their learning speed. I've played a few years into 3 different scenarios and in each of them the kids I've got level up fast. For example I currently have a 7 yr old who is level 8 cooking and level 9 growing. And an 8 yr old who is level 13 animals and level 10 medicine. LOL

Haven't got any babies past toddlerhood yet, but I imagine they will level up as fast once they hit child stage.

BTW any news when when the next update will be out?

Thanks! :)

DaStormDragon

When there is a compatibility patch for humanoid alien framework, it will be awesome. Aliens are better than toddlers on the rimworlds I think

Dragoon

Quote from: Jstank on March 18, 2017, 01:39:12 PM
Maybe the growing vat has a built in matrix like simulation to keep the childs mind active during growing!
- Growing vat needs AI core to build...?

I feel like that would poor way of balancing it out.
Quote from: faltonico
I truly can't understand that sense of balancing a LOT of modders have, pouring more resources on something doesn't make it more difficult, but more annoying. It is not engaging, even if i'm swimming in silver at late game ¿why to bother?, why all the effort to get there?.

robotguy4

Here's a thought: What if you don't need the "matrix module" for a growing vat. You just need it to keep your vat grown humans sane and well rounded?

It could be a separate structure linked to the vat like hi-tech research tables and multi-analyzers.

Olino

geojak

Was just playing a bit and saw my chemical interested 2 season old baby picking up some beer to get drunk.

BUT what actually surprised me was, when it then proceeded to crawl to my research bench and work on the development of space ship engines :O

DO i have baby einstein in my conlony???
the character tab says incapable of research and it is not clickable in the worktab
funny bug thought

Rocket_Raccoon

Got 2 new lovers, however since they are together( 3 days) they never ,,did the love".
Anyone else got that or is there a possibility that a cuple never does lovin?

€: before i forget, i got them together via console/dev mode.

robotguy4

Quote from: Rocket_Raccoon on March 28, 2017, 06:34:28 PM
Got 2 new lovers, however since they are together( 3 days) they never ,,did the love".
Anyone else got that or is there a possibility that a cuple never does lovin?

€: before i forget, i got them together via console/dev mode.
Couples don't always "do lovin". It may take a while.

There is a way to force them: check add hediff and add the "getfuckin" hediff when your pawns are in the same bed. It seems to also have a "cool down" period.

Quote from: geojak on March 27, 2017, 07:18:11 AM
Was just playing a bit and saw my chemical interested 2 season old baby picking up some beer to get drunk.

BUT what actually surprised me was, when it then proceeded to crawl to my research bench and work on the development of space ship engines :O

DO i have baby einstein in my conlony???
the character tab says incapable of research and it is not clickable in the worktab
funny bug thought
That doesn't sound like usual behavior defined by the mod. Did you use dev tools?

Rimrue

I don't want to be pushy but any news on an update? I love this mod so much. :)

Thanks!

AngleWyrm

Quote from: Thirite on December 27, 2016, 09:06:22 PM
Child stage at 3.5~ years. They can do nearly everything an adult can do, but with less speed/skill.
- Time scale is a fair issue. Children taking 4.5 years (vanilla values) to become a "child" from a newborn is ridiculously long if toddlers can't even do anything but act like a pet. I've scaled it down to 3.5, but this may still be too long to not be a nuisance. Probably will drop it to 3 years.

Another way to look at time
  • How long in game-days is the collection of your save games?
  • How many days does a game last before it dies and is replaced by a new game?
  • What does that population curve look like?
That is the lifespan and mortality of a game of Rimworld, and the lifespans of colonists are considerably shorter than that. So how much of those time periods should be spent in undeveloped childhood?
My 5-point rating system: Yay, Kay, Meh, Erm, Bleh

geojak

That doesn't sound like usual behavior defined by the mod. Did you use dev tools?
[/quote]

Only to Cheat in some extra steel...
I added the cutting is for growers mod which messes some with the work tab for old saves. Might be related with the researching, but doesn't have to be.
Still drinking beer isn't  explained by it.

I just saw your accelerated aging mod: going to try it out the other day. I have a question. Do you use the brackets age, like some colonist have 20(104) to indicate their biological age and real age.

So for accelerated aging it could be 14(7) assuming the real age is 7 but because of drugs and such the body is of an 14 years old.

robotguy4

Quote from: geojak on April 01, 2017, 05:40:13 AM
So for accelerated aging it could be 14(7) assuming the real age is 7 but because of drugs and such the body is of an 14 years old.

Yes.

I'm thinking I might try to tweak some of the drug mechanics, so let me know what you think about it. Currently the drug's strength uses divideByBodySize. Right now it takes 9 doses of Senexamine to age up a newborn to working age in a day (or however long the drug lasts...). The hunger is currently non-compounding.

I should probably start a separate thread about this mod.