[1.0] Children and Pregnancy - v0.5b (2019/Feb/25)

Started by Thirite, December 27, 2016, 09:06:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thirite

Quote from: Hadley on June 14, 2017, 03:29:00 AM
Is there some way to make it compatible with the Headframe Mods so that Beards/Hair don't disappear if you wear Headgear?

I don't know what you mean by "headframe" mods but my Simple Beard Framework is integrated in C&P. I haven't updated the Simple Beard Framework standalone though.

PixelBitZombie

Quote from: Sniper Pilot on June 11, 2017, 04:39:09 PM
As much as I'm a super fan of this mod. I've never gotten past the pregnancy. The brutality of rimworld.

Quote from: PixelBitZombie on June 10, 2017, 01:50:35 PM
Was looking for a mod like this about 2 weeks ago, couldn't find anything because everyone was afraid of timescaling or more. THANK YOU for taking this on, my usual rimworld experience is not enough colonist, this would be a great way to grow the colonists.

Been using it since yesterday, two women are pregnant with no births yet. So I'm excited to see how this is gonna go!
Added it to a save file already made and its working great.

I made it far enough so they gave birth, but literally by the time they gave birth I wasn't technically end game because of certain mods but I was far enough by the time they gave birth the game was being ruined by raiders and lag. They never grew into children, I summoned Cthulhu, game ending spell and murdered everyone but 4 people, the 4th person was one of the babies. I think the timescale should be lowered in order to get full optimal experience from the mod.

Also any woman able to breast feed, while not game breaking is super odd.
Basically, got to baby stage and no more, ended game because raids ruined map and bad fps. It worked with facial stuff, started a new colony and now it doesn't work. So at the moment im not using the mod because I love the diversity of the colonists facial stuff does.

Anyway just input on how my save file went from the Child mod.
"When logic and proportion have fallen sloppy dead
And the White Knight is talking backwards
And the Red Queen's off with her head"

Dekent59

Something like the runtime cleaner is 'probably' required to get the most of of this mod to keep the game lag free for as long as possible. 

For the time scaling, that's sort of human nature...but maybe one option would be some sort of nanite injection that boosts a kids age up a year everytime it's applied, with a downside of course. 

Thirite

Timescale balancing is a fair issue. I mean there's 60 days to a year so it's kind of a moot point saying "pregnancy has to take 3/4.of a year". That said my last major save lasted for six years without breaking horribly- but I was considering shortening the timescale anyways as I know most people don't bother with a single game for that long.

Rimrue

I haven't yet had a baby reach childhood either. Lol

But that's fine. I've had several kids (who joined at anywhere from age 8 to 12) reach 13 which is the equivalent of adulthood.

I think the timescale you've currently got works fine. Unless I've got it wrong, pregnancy is 3 seasons. Babyhood is 2 seasons. Toddlerhood is 3 years. And childhood lasts until 13. Perhaps toddlers could become children at 3 instead of 3.5, but any shorter would seem odd.

I noticed you've got the art for the growth vat now, so it's only a matter of time until we can create vatgrown colonists anyway. ;)

PixelBitZombie

Quote from: Dekent59 on June 14, 2017, 08:13:55 PM
Something like the runtime cleaner is 'probably' required to get the most of of this mod to keep the game lag free for as long as possible. 

For the time scaling, that's sort of human nature...but maybe one option would be some sort of nanite injection that boosts a kids age up a year everytime it's applied, with a downside of course.

I actually found that about 3 days I think after I found this mod since it was updated as well. It helped my save file but in the end raids and too much going on kinda ruined the save so I ended it. It also didn't help I was running 103 mods.

Quote from: Thirite on June 14, 2017, 08:41:07 PM
Timescale balancing is a fair issue. I mean there's 60 days to a year so it's kind of a moot point saying "pregnancy has to take 3/4.of a year". That said my last major save lasted for six years without breaking horribly- but I was considering shortening the timescale anyways as I know most people don't bother with a single game for that long.

Honestly I'm not sure how long my game was in terms of years. I'm that guy that doesn't pay attention to history very much, so normally I don't know my wealth or anything. However last I checked in real life time was 3 days with normally about 8-12 hours of game time within those days. But I shouldn't say it took awhile to give birth since I think at the time before I installed the child mod I was about halfway through and they got pregnant. Either way the mod is incredible and I'm glad you took the time to do this since most would not tackle it.
"When logic and proportion have fallen sloppy dead
And the White Knight is talking backwards
And the Red Queen's off with her head"

Thundercraft

Quote from: Rimrue on June 14, 2017, 08:53:10 PMI think the timescale you've currently got works fine. Unless I've got it wrong, pregnancy is 3 seasons. Babyhood is 2 seasons. Toddlerhood is 3 years. And childhood lasts until 13. Perhaps toddlers could become children at 3 instead of 3.5, but any shorter would seem odd.

I agree that the Toddler stage should be reduced from 3.5, down to 3, maybe even 2.5. Babyhood and Toddlerhood are probably the least fun and least interesting stages, at least in terms of this mod. There's a reason that children in Dwarf Fortress go from newly born to adult in only 13 years. It's too long, otherwise.

Quote from: Rimrue on June 14, 2017, 08:53:10 PMI noticed you've got the art for the growth vat now, so it's only a matter of time until we can create vatgrown colonists anyway. ;)

Nice! Once growth vats are a thing, I suspect this mod will get a lot more users and popularity.

QuoteKnown Incompatible Mods:
...Combat Realism

Ouch. That may be a deal breaker for me as I usually want to use it. Combat Realism (now called "Combat Extended") is one of the more popular mods, with thousands of users. That said, CR/CE is also one of the biggest mods out there, with many hundreds of lines of code. So it's not surprising that it is incompatible with various mods - and not just weapon mods.

Hydromancerx

Using v0.2d and when my pawn started to give birth she would never give birth. Eventually the message for going into contractions started spamming the screen.

eadras

I noticed a minor issue in my last colony, where my priority 1 doctor was also a new mother.  Every time the baby would start crying and need rescue, I'd get errors like this:

Isolde starting job BreastFeedBaby A=Thing_Human165943 from JobGiver RimWorld.JobGiver_Work while already having job TendPatient A=Thing_Human161987 without a specific job end condition.

Sometimes she would put the baby back to bed after feeding.  Other times should would drop it and leave it crying.  If I have more than one high priority doctor, they will rush over with a meal to feed the baby at the same time as the mother is trying to breastfeed it.  Not game breaking stuff or anything, just some minor prioritization issues that I wanted to give some feedback on. 

Also still hoping to see child raiders forbidden if it's not too difficult.  Great work on the mod so far, it really adds a missing dimension to the game by adding meaningful familial connections and the need to protect the young.

Thirite

Ah, thanks! I can already tell what my error was in the code without even looking, from your description. Cheers

Hadley

Quote from: Thirite on June 14, 2017, 10:45:15 AM
Quote from: Hadley on June 14, 2017, 03:29:00 AM
Is there some way to make it compatible with the Headframe Mods so that Beards/Hair don't disappear if you wear Headgear?

I don't know what you mean by "headframe" mods but my Simple Beard Framework is integrated in C&P. I haven't updated the Simple Beard Framework standalone though.

Does not work for me for some reason. I tried a lot, even a new Game. I disabled all Mods other than this one and I could not get beards/hair to show when putting a hat on.

Hydromancerx

Quote from: Hydromancerx on June 15, 2017, 02:53:35 AM
Using v0.2d and when my pawn started to give birth she would never give birth. Eventually the message for going into contractions started spamming the screen.

The only way i found to fix this was to give the mother an abortion as she was giving birth. :(

Thirite

Oh boyo. Sounds like a decent bug. I'll have to investigate it this evening.

WalkingProblem

Quote from: Thirite on June 14, 2017, 08:41:07 PM

The timescale have to be even more drastically reduced for having children make even any sense (playability). In my Minions mod, I altered the timescale for my minions to grow up in accordance to this thought of playability. The Minions grows up to Adult in just 1 year.

TIMESCALE CODE FOR MINIONS
HumanlikeBaby - 0
HumanlikeToddler - 0.2
HumanlikeChild - 0.5
HumanlikeTeenager - 0.8
HumanlikeAdult - 1

But even so, most of the baby minions never made it to adulthood due to their main job as soldiers.

---

I would suggest that to make having heirs and giving birth make more sense, and the mod more playable, perhaps change the time frame to:

HumanlikeBaby - 0
HumanlikeToddler - 0.6
HumanlikeChild - 1.5
HumanlikeTeenager - 3 (from here on, they will go back to vanilla settings - if not we are breaking the game i guess)

It will keep the game interesting juggling new births and grow childrens, as well as training them to be a good colonists. As they will be alive for so long in game time, they may become maxed up in their stats before they ever reach adulthood.

But if we dont do this, then perhaps only thing left is to add growthvat as others had suggested~

=P

Its just a games design thing you may need to ponder this on. =}

Thirite

The thing is RimWorld isn't just meant to be a game with strict rules of game design applied to it. Like Tynan has said before, it's meant to be a story generator. Scaling the time down that far would kill off the majority of chances to have crazy things happen in regards to children- and would make children less of a neat detail that can add interest to the game to just another way to pump out free colonists. That's not really the point. There should be challenge with children- they should be a pain in the ass. The player should have to make hard decisions and it shouldn't be a simple matter of playing for a year or two before they're indistinguishable from everyone else.

On the other side of the coin, children shouldn't be a huge pain in the ass that remain like so for an entire game. Getting to childhood is the relevant part which offers reward for the player, so scaling that to three years sounds reasonable. Once they're a child they can do virtually everything an adult can.